Amazon to develop William Gibson's 'The Peripheral'

Somehow it would be far less upsetting if Amazon screws over a fine William Gibson novel than the Culture.

Speaking of Gibson, I have always thought Bruce Sterling's Schismatrix is the cyberpunk space opera with more commercial appeal. I don't know if It has ever been optioned.
It would take care to do it though, it needs that kind of texture that Ridely Scott brought to the 1982 Blade Runner ….

schizz.jpg

As much as I would love to see Schismatrix on the screen, it covers a lot of ground and a lot of time. Most viewers wouldn't be able to follow the story and any changes made would make the project a massive disappointment.

As much as I would love to see Schismatrix on the screen, it covers a lot of ground and a lot of time. Most viewers wouldn't be able to follow the story and any changes made would make the project a massive disappointment.

That could be fixed.

But would it be Schismatrix then?

Depends on who, takes imagination and finesse , with The Expanse right now they are doing a fine job of jiggering a rather unrulily set of novels. Adaptation in visual narrative is hard to do!

I can almost 100% guarantee that this will be a disaster as the people involved don't understand the source material.

Well, his material needs several reads. It's still not impossible. There has been several military style noirs in the past that has been somewhat successful. And as the Peripheral world isn't too far from ours, they should have a great deal of difficulty on adapting the material. Interesting thing is that they chose another American SF writer rather than looked elsewhere.

The worlds aren't that dissimilar physically but extremely different semantically. Gibson doesn't hold your hand with his writing and if the people producing this think they can dumb things down they are going to fail Gibson and the viewers.