Tor Open Submissions for Novellas - May 2018 and July 2018

The Bluestocking

Bloody Mary in Blue
Ouch that is a long time to wait - what really cheeses me off is that (I suspect) famous authors don't have to wait that long for a response!
My nonprofit/charity works with many prominent authors and when I mentioned my novella being in a queue for consideration at Tor (and that the queue is advancing at a snail's pace), every single author who has published with Tor basically said that the fits-and-starts pattern and the slowness is very much a Tor thing. Yes, even for well-known authors already publishing with them!

So I'm just over here writing the 2nd installment of my little kitsune's adventures...

Dan Jones

Free Omar!
Supporter
Hi TBS I just saw this. I would definitely get in touch with a firm and polite request for an update. At this very late stage I would assume it’s a no that didn’t get sent out, but you should ask for your piece of mind. And you never know, it might be a yes.

I also think you’re right to crack on with book 2.

The Bluestocking

Bloody Mary in Blue
Hi TBS I just saw this. I would definitely get in touch with a firm and polite request for an update. At this very late stage I would assume it’s a no that didn’t get sent out, but you should ask for your piece of mind. And you never know, it might be a yes.

I also think you’re right to crack on with book 2.
The weird thing is that a "withdraw submission" button appeared about 3 weeks back on the Moksha page! (It wasn't there before.) Then there was a rather large jump to #389 in the queue for me (though I have now been stuck at that position for about 2.5 weeks). I'm guessing a number of people took advantage of the button to pull their subs out so they can sub their novellas elsewhere.

I think I shall just leave it be since I was told by half-a-dozen established SFF authors publishing with Tor that this sort of fits-and-starts pattern is perfectly in line with what they themselves experience with Tor. In the meantime, Novella #2 is probably going to be integrated with Novella #1 to make it a complete and utter rip-roaring comedy fantasy action-adventure since I was planning another 40K - 50K words for my little kitsune's road trip to Hell...

I mean - DAW is open for submissions for full-length novels and so is the new publisher Erewhon (run by a Tor alum).

UPDATE: Curioser and curiouser - the line showing the number of days left to wait has disappeared from the Moksha page...

Last edited: