Tor Open Submissions for Novellas - May 2018 and July 2018

A watched pot never boils...

K2

Last edited:
Me? Obssessive? Not on your nelly.

Currently #121 with an average response time of 53 days, down 32 places from last time I checked, jumping a huge 19.9% up the queue, which means that I might have initially expected a response four days ago, I should now receive a response around about the 19th October.

Obsessive, she says! I ask you...:X3:

Me? Obssessive? Not on your nelly.

Currently #121 with an average response time of 53 days, down 32 places from last time I checked, jumping a huge 19.9% up the queue, which means that I might have initially expected a response four days ago, I should now receive a response around about the 19th October.

Obsessive, she says! I ask you...:X3:

YOU ACTUALLY CALCULATED PERCENTAGES AND ADJUSTED FOR EXPECTED DATES?! :ROFLMAO::p

[QUOTEYou know, the other Chronners are probably snickering at us behind our backs regarding our countdown update obsession... :LOL::LOL::LOL:[/QUOTE]
Definitely not. Been there. Done it. It’s a miserable experience, waiting. I’ve everything crossed for y’all :)

According to the grinder, there are rejections up and including those who subbed on August 1st. So they're at least three days into their open window (30th July - 13th August).

Wondering what I can chew on once I've finished my toenails.... maybe I need a doggy bone?

According to the grinder, there are rejections up and including those who subbed on August 1st. So they're at least three days into their open window (30th July - 13th August).

Wondering what I can chew on once I've finished my toenails.... maybe I need a doggy bone?

"The grinder"? What is "the grinder"?

Also - was talking to an author my charity works with and he told me Tor is well-known for slow responses. So my guess that I won't be hearing til Valentine's Day 2019 is probably spot-on...

The grinder is the the grinder (at) diabolicalplots (dot) com - a free duotrope website.

Tor.com seem to be publishing around 2 to 3 novellas per month from what I can make out.... when there are so many famous authors on their list, the odds of getting published seem very long indeed.

The grinder is the the grinder (at) diabolicalplots (dot) com - a free duotrope website.

Tor.com seem to be publishing around 2 to 3 novellas per month from what I can make out.... when there are so many famous authors on their list, the odds of getting published seem very long indeed.

I am currently stuck at #538 for the last 3 days now... are you moving at all at your end of the queue?

@Dan Jones Where are you now in the queue? Are you below the 100 mark yet?

I am currently stuck at #538 for the last 3 days now... are you moving at all at your end of the queue?

@Dan Jones Where are you now in the queue? Are you below the 100 mark yet?
Still sitting at 45... having now looked at the odds of acceptance, feel rather dubious mine will get accepted, but then I'm a born pessimist - which is why when things turn out good I can smile a lot!

Still sitting at 45... having now looked at the odds of acceptance, feel rather dubious mine will get accepted, but then I'm a born pessimist - which is why when things turn out good I can smile a lot!

You've calculated the odds? Er... what are the odds at the moment?

You've calculated the odds? Er... what are the odds at the moment?
I haven't calculated, so much as estimated them.

If they published, let's be generous, 42 novellas a year, half of those will go to established authors who've come in via the agented route. So that leaves 21 slots for the open submission windows plural. There were two windows - so let's again be generous, there'll be 15 slots for the last window.

There were something like 750 submissions for the last window. So that means the chance of acceptance on an even playing field is 15/750, which is 1 in 50. Remember. I've been generous towards this open window in my assumptions. So we're talking about 1 in 100 more realistically.

Those are still the odds for those of us who entered the last window without further information about the selection process.

I haven't calculated, so much as estimated them.

If they published, let's be generous, 42 novellas a year, half of those will go to established authors who've come in via the agented route. So that leaves 21 slots for the open submission windows plural. There were two windows - so let's again be generous, there'll be 15 slots for the last window.

There were something like 750 submissions for the last window. So that means the chance of acceptance on an even playing field is 15/750, which is 1 in 50. Remember. I've been generous towards this open window in my assumptions. So we're talking about 1 in 100 more realistically.

Those are still the odds for those of us who entered the last window without further information about the selection process.

I'll take those odds any day over being in a slushpile of thousands though.

But then this is me being bravely - possibly unrealistically - optimistic (even after a tough day when I've had my hopes regarding something else unrelated to writing smashed to smithereens).

Open windows are more of a lottery than getting an agent, I think - but getting an agent doesn't mean you'll get a publisher. They're all lotteries, frankly. As a certain dashing Space Pilot would say: Never tell me the odds. :D