8.16: The Walking Dead - Wrath

1. ctg

ctg weaver of the unseen

[​IMG]
    Michonne and some poor Savior (Photo by Gene Page/AMC)

This episode is 70 minutes long, with commercials, according to AMC's schedule.

Apr 15, 2018
  2. REBerg

REBerg Registered Alien

Rick has made a big mistake in deciding to save Negan.
    Condemning Negan to life in a cell, forcing him to watch the survivors achieve prosperity through peaceful cooperation, hardly seems like a fitting punishment for his heinous crimes. Rick's made an enemy of Maggie, who's off to a great start with Daryl and Jesus as her lieutenants in plans to depose Rick.
    I suppose the decision to keeping Negan is a good plot hook for next season. It's a pity that slashing his throat apparently did no damage to his vocal cords.
    Cheers for Eugene, who completely redeemed himself with his devious, faulty ammunition manufacturing skills. I loved how his readmission to the group was sealed by Rosita's punch to the face in retaliation for Eugene's puke-fueled escape last episode. The entire line of Saviors going down when their guns exploded in their hands was a great moment.

Apr 16, 2018 at 2:21 PM
  3. ctg

ctg weaver of the unseen

Yeah, it really riles against everything, but at the end it was Rick, who made that possible. Carl only aided him to reach that conclusion and Dr Evil might have pushed the final bit by sabotaging the ammunition. If they had fought Negan's final group, I don't think life sparing moment could had come in question. Not with Negan and not with Eugene. They both would have had to go or then the show would have transformed to Negan's show, which in a way would have interesting, but I for one would not had watched it.

Well, it was kind of satisfactory, but not complete. I just cannot stomach the whole betrayal angle as from now on I'm going to be suspicious about all his activities. How many people died or suffered, because of what he did? The hundred men on top of the hill are only added to the long list of people, who could had done better if Abraham had mashed his face on the road to Alexandria.

I'm afraid one punch wasn't much of punishment for his redemption. He has to do something better. Just like Dwight. In fact, Dwight worked his *ss off for saving Rick's people once he realised that there was not going to be future, certainly not peace with Negan in charge.

When Rick saved Negan in the original run, it made more sense, because killing didn't fit his character. The telephone people had made it clear. He needed to achieve peace, because killing would have doomed all of them and all that war they went through would had been for nothing.

Killing Negan would had fit this version of Rick so much better, because it would have been right for all that trouble. Afterwards he could had done the old man speech and swear the people to accept peace, before he would step as their leader for being so much like Negan.

Ricknation isn't going to survive with him in the charge. So Maggie is right. Ricknation would be better if it was in hands of Maggie or King Ezekiel. I don't know how Oceanside is going to survive at the Sanctuary or how Alexandria will be built. All I know is that we lost Morgan for the boogie men and he did right when he exiled himself for the long walk across the country.

Apr 16, 2018 at 3:58 PM
    REBerg likes this.
  4. nixie

nixie pixie druid Staff Member

Eugene, I know some theorized about him sabotaging the bullets but I really didn't see it coming. I thought he was completely Negan, I'm still trying too process it.

Bad mistake keeping Negan alive, Maggie will be a better leader than Rick although I don't want their relationship destroyed.

Will be interesting to see how Jadis and her transformation too Anne progresses.

Apr 16, 2018 at 10:16 PM
  5. svalbard

svalbard Well-Known Member

Eugene sabotaging the guns was a genuine twist and he has found redemption in my eyes

I hope Dwight finds his wife(can't remember her name). His character arc was really interesting.

Whilst I applaud Rick's take on justice and how it is a starting point to show the communities that law and order is one of the foundations of civilisation I would still have executed Negan. Law and order and justice can come later.

Maggie, Jesus and Daryl haven't a chance going up against Rick if they decide to go down that road. Daryl has already shown his ineptitude at the initial siege of the Sanctuary, Jesus is just too soft. Maggie is the only one of them who has it in her to actually challenge Rick. But he has shown time and time again that he is one ruthless son of a you know what when you come for him.

Apr 16, 2018 at 11:25 PM
  6. ctg

ctg weaver of the unseen

Dr Evil's motivation to do that after he escaped Daryl's and Rosita's trap is problematic. If he really thought about switching sides, why he showed temper to Gabriel and threatened to shoot him, when he escaped? It just doesn't make sense. If he has good brain why he couldn't convince Rick's side that everything is going to be all right because he has a plan? His actions on the small screen convinced a lot of people that he'd gone completely Negan.

Also how do you convince hundred people to not do practice shoots before the actual firing happens? If I were recalled back into service I'd want to make sure my gun was zeroed before I would go to a mission. Saviors didn't show that they had an armorer as the weapons weren't centrally stored, maintained and issued to Negan's people. So making sure that your gun is shooting straight is important thing, when you grab gun from unknown pile. Is that a practice people have forgotten in the apocalypse?

Apr 17, 2018 at 11:00 AM
  7. ctg

ctg weaver of the unseen

'The Walking Dead' showrunner on what DIDN'T make it into the finale

Andrew Lincoln Explains Why Rick Didn't Kill Negan On 'The Walking Dead'

Apr 17, 2018 at 12:36 PM
  8. Gnrevolution

Gnrevolution Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with what Eugene did, everything he did was to ensure that Negan had complete trust in him. He had to look like he was Negan's man through and through or it just wouldn't have worked. If he carried on escaping with Rosita / Daryl then he couldn't finish his plan, he had to stay with Negan until the last moment. My only slight gripe here is that this plan wouldn't have worked if a single saviour had fired a single gun any time after they left. Just one. That's all it would have taken to undo the whole plan. Bit lucky, but there you go.

What I didn't buy was Rick's sudden change in attitude. He has had no problem killing every saviour in sight (even ones that helped him), but when confronted with Negan, and after he had even slashed his throat, he suddenly decides he should live? To me this smacks of them needing an adversary next season and using Negan to foster one in Maggie and company. Not that I buy that either, it just feels so forced! And when it all goes to pot, so too goes the redemption arc for Negan.

Apr 17, 2018 at 12:50 PM
    REBerg likes this.
  9. grip junky

grip junky Well-Known Member

I am not sure why people think Maggie would be a better leader than Rick. Rick is doing a fine job the way I see it. So I would be going with rick back to Alexandria. Maggie will be leading back at the hill top. The real question is, will Rick fight to keep Negan alive, why would he? When Maggie comes for Negan why would he not just give him to her? Will Jesus go alone with her plans? That does not seem like him. I like this past show, they got very lucky that they did not use the old rounds they had first.

Apr 17, 2018 at 2:25 PM
  10. Judderman

Judderman The Iceman cometh

Jesus has been awol from the show for a while but was back again as if he never disappeared. Why on earth would he be siding with the view that Negan should be killed? He was only just telling Morgan he doesn't need to kill people. I presume some of Maggie/Jesus/Daryl will die in trying to kill Negan/defying Rick.

I agree that having all but one gun be sabotaged but not noticed is absurd. It seems Rosita's words were enough to make Eugene doublecross Negan. And perhaps he had run out of wine.. Also Rick's constant mind changing doesn't quite work. These days the show does some surprises but they often aren't believable.

This episode was good ignoring the above criticisms, but not really worth the wait during poor episodes. Also the evidence of big change to come in season 9 that Gimple talked about isn't that obvious. There wasn't actually a single death of significance in this episode which was a surprise in a way. And Alexandria and Hilltop are still there to be lived in. It was good to see Eugene turn the tables, but a bit of a shame that then there was barely any exciting action as things swung so rapidly.

Apr 17, 2018 at 8:55 PM
  11. paranoid marvin

paranoid marvin Run VT Erroll!

Why does Rick keep Negan alive? Probably because of the letter his son wrote asking him to make peace. Killing Negan would be like Rick denyong his son's dying request.

But he should have killed him; not in vengence for all he has done, but to give the Saviours a release from their leader with no fear of possible later retribution. Also because Negan is trouble and will almost certainly cause more death and heartache in the future - they're never going to be able to lock him up forever. Probably would have been better to put him on trial. That way everyone is satisfied.

Apr 17, 2018 at 11:13 PM
    ctg likes this.
  12. ctg

ctg weaver of the unseen

Who would be the judge? Or the prosecutor or even wanting to give him defence? Thing is it would have been more satisfying and certainly more proper on putting him in hard labour position than lock him in the cell Morgan built in the Alexandria. Being a full time prisoner is actually luxury position in the apocalyptic times. Think about all that upkeep and service one is going to get at that cell. I would assume that there are now around 120 - 150 people in the Ricknation at this current point. It's not much when a lot people are going to be need to tend the farms, because they don't farm any farm animals. No horses. Tractors are going to need mechanics, spare parts and petrol products to run. How much of that is readily available?

Apr 17, 2018 at 11:48 PM
  13. ctg

ctg weaver of the unseen

'The Walking Dead's Norman Reedus Addresses If Daryl Is Turning On Rick

Apr 20, 2018 at 2:18 PM
    REBerg likes this.
  14. REBerg

REBerg Registered Alien

Apr 20, 2018 at 3:35 PM
  15. ctg

ctg weaver of the unseen

Nope. He has a publicist and this might have been commissioned by the AMC as part of the TWD publicity campaign.

Apr 20, 2018 at 10:29 PM