DISCUSSION -- April 2018 300 Word Writing Challenge #29

Wow, the first two stories show this competition is starting strong! The third less so... ;) Although I swear I didn't read the discussion thread until after posting, so I couldn't have placed it in Cornwall in a transparent attempt to get a nostalgia vote from @Perpetual Man.

I was determined to submit the 300 and the 75 early and then relax but I found the 300 more difficult than I expected. I just couldn't find anything to hang the story on. Then, after a conversation with my daughter (that I'll explain after voting), an idea developed.

Edit: It's just occurred to me: is that a photo of the entrance to the caves used in that Father Ted episode?

Last edited:
Thank you for the review, Victoria! And mosaix - I have no children to inspire tales. I'm fortunate the picture spoke to me; one word popped into my mind (the story's title), then a moment later, the story (but at 600+ words). Amazing photo, Chris Green.
And very cool of you, Dan Jones, to offer your new book as a prize this month! Some lucky winner is in for a treat. :)

I've not seen that episode, but unless they went on holiday to the Salzkammergut, the answer is no. :D

I think it's the episode where he meets Richard Wilson, who is fed up of people saying to him 'I don't believe it!'. Guess what Father Ted says to him - with the expected results. Unless Salzkammergut is in Ireland I doubt it's the same place.

Yes, I googled to find out if an Austrian caving adventure was likely, and since it talked of "the mainland" I thought it improbable.

A question of tactics. What is everyone's approach to these writing challenges?
Do you try to get your entry in early?
Or do you wait until it's a finely crafted classic and post just before deadline hour?

Do you read all the other entries before/during writing your own? I imagine this might lead to despondency if someone posts an absolute classic. Or someone posts something similar, leading to starting yours again.
Or do you ignore all the posted entries while writing your own, then read them after posting your attempt? I suppose, this runs the risk of posting something similar, but probably not likely, after all "There are eight million stories in the naked city; this has been one of them"

I'm new to these challenges so I think I might start going for the 'do not read until I've posted my own attempt' approach, but try to get it in early, so I can get disheartened as I see much better efforts roll in :cry:

Welcome to the challenges, MRG.

I think we all have different approaches; there are those who post as soon as the thread is open, those who wait until the last minute, but I daresay it's never a case of doing so to garner votes, but just work preference.

My typical approach is to write my entry when the muse appears and then sit on it until the last few days (hours!) of the challenges to see if I can hone it with fresh eyes (as we're encouraged to do with our 'real life' manuscript), but sometimes I post within the first few days.

Sometimes I read them as they are posted, sometimes much later in chunks, but I'd have to say this never affects my choice of story, even if there are similarities between my own and what someone has posted earlier.

So, batter up! Good luck.

pH

First I sacrifice a jam doughnut with a steak mallet - can be messy so make sure you wear an apron. Then I smear the remains over my face and run naked - underpants are allowed unless you want attention from the Police - down the street. Thus the inspiration ritual is complete.

The problem is by the time I get home and cleaned up I've forgotten the tale.

Hence dodgy, half-thought out entries :)

Yep, as Phyrebrat says there's no one way of doing it. I'm usually one of the last minute posters, both here and in the 75s, simply because I can rarely think of a good-enough story until the last few days, nor get my act together before then. Plus I tell myself I work better under pressure, and whether that's true or not, it makes writing a story earlier something of an extra challenge as I try to thwart my own self-programming!

Leaving it so late has told against me a few times, as someone else has already stolen my one idea and I'm left flailing around for something better -- Parson and mosaix are particular offenders in this regard. :mad: :D

I invariably read all the stories before writing my own because I don't want to produce something that's too close to another story. I know when I come to vote I tend to mentally mark down entries which seem too similar, so I don't want anyone doing the same to me. That risk is greater in the 75s, though, and it's rarely a problem in the 300s. I don't get disheartened at reading the other stories -- unless Parson and mosaix have committed their thieving, of course! But I do get a bit narked if someone posts a brilliant story immediately before mine, thereby casting my offering in the shade, and I've been known to hold off posting for 30 minutes or more, in the hope someone else nips in before me, acting as a buffer zone!

No running naked rituals here. For which everyone should be profoundly grateful.

First I sacrifice a jam doughnut with a steak mallet - can be messy so make sure you wear an apron. Then I smear the remains over my face and run naked - underpants are allowed unless you want attention from the Police - down the street. Thus the inspiration ritual is complete.
Underwear!! Why didn't I think of that?!

OK. I got my 300 word story up. I'm surprised how much I remembered. I made a few big changes since the last version so I hope it worked it out. Anyway, I hope you enjoy. :)

I have a fear of the last few days approaching and running out of time. So I try and get an inkling of an idea (sometimes I hack into TJs computer) in the first five days or so then let it brew. Then I try to get something written, get it below the word count, let Mrs Mosaix read it, put right all the mistakes she spots, leave it overnight, refine it a bit if anything jumps out at me then post.

Sometimes I read through the other stories first but that can be discouraging. On the other hand it can trigger a thought process that leads to an unrelated idea.

Even when I think my initial idea is poor just the act of starting to write can trigger the creative juices. Rarely does my first attempt end up being anything like the attempt that gets posted.

Last edited:
Never read other entries before writing. Subconscious creative bleed/leeching is inescapable.

Write the story before counting the words. After all, if you've come up with a fine story that's over 300 words, keep it. Write another for the competition.

Get someone else to read it. Ideally, someone with excellent grammar and a fine command of English.

Always leave it a few days before posting.

Then, wait a day and review it one more time after the moment you think you've finished reviewing it. (I forget this one and pay the price, occasionally).