The plot problems for fanfiction.

Space_of_Writing

Science fiction fantasy
Who of you know “Jurassic Park”? I believe the most of you on this forum.
Ok. It’s a movie and it is copyrighted, too. But I wanna do nothing commercial with it. I wanna write a fanfiction for the guys/friends in the JP-fan forum which I joined, too.
However, I got a big, big, BIG problem. The general plot of the Jurassic-series is: a dinosaur breaks out and creates chaos. Either on the island park or the mainland. The main character must save everyone and themselves to get off this place.
But I wanna more than this simple plot. I wanna more motivation than just survives.
How can I create a plot like my wish?

Change the protagonist type. Don't make yet another main character who is a rugged adventurer. For example, make him an accountant for the park trying to uncover why there are missing funds. Don't make the story an action movie. Make it a low-key thriller, a detective story, a romance, etc. Give a moral to the story, and a purposeful message about something deeper than just surviving against 25 feet-tall monsters. The world of Jurassic Park has things other than dinosaurs, even if they are the coolest part. Come at it from a different angle.

My 2 cents.

@Ihe Well, I wanna make OC (because of the damn copyright). But I won’t make Gary/Mary Sues like Owen and Claire (the new one from JW). My character shall have more than be badass. With class! Not absolutely unbelievable and ridiculous! Like a real person. I also pack the main genres of the movie: action, adventure, fantasy, sci-fi and thriller in it.
Of course. A moral is a fine way. How about: Is that ethical? Or so. You know the park. Yah! There should be really more than just dinosaurs.
But how can I avoid that simple plot in another way, too? You know. Break out and save their ass.

Don't be so grim. Things'll turn around, you'll see! I don't even care about those stupid 2 cents anyway (quietly puts Cathbad in a sleeper hold, takes the 2 cents, leaves, then comes back and also takes his shoes).

Change the protagonist type. Don't make yet another main character who is a rugged adventurer. For example, make him an accountant for the park trying to uncover why there are missing funds. Don't make the story an action movie. Make it a low-key thriller, a detective story, a romance, etc. Give a moral to the story, and a purposeful message about something deeper than just surviving against 25 feet-tall monsters. The world of Jurassic Park has things other than dinosaurs, even if they are the coolest part. Come at it from a different angle.

My 2 cents.
I won't lie; the first image that ran through my mind when you brought up romance was a romantic comedy featuring two velociraptors...

But, I agree with this advice. I am not particularly fond of fanfic, and part of the reason why is that it is difficult to be original while being true to the source. However, these are some ideas of how it could be done well.

One of the pieces I'm working on currently is a Naruto fanfic with a friend of mine. We're using two of her OCs and it's working pretty well.

My big piece? Canon adjacent. I want to tell what's going on behind the scenes, where everyone who isn't the main character is at. I use the events in the series, but add my own twist to them.

One thing you could do, and I am no fan fiction writer, I prefer to make up my own stuff. But one thing you could do is follow the narrative beyond the scope of the original work.
So for example. In home alone Harry and Marv get arrested, we never know what happened to them in jail but... you could write a story that tells us what happened to them.

Similarly, in Jurassic park you could follow a character introduced in the film or book (the actual books are different from the films and well worth a read) so for example. You could decide Dennis Nedry never died, that in fact he somehow fought off the dilophosaur and stumbled blindly into the flooding jungle. eventually finding his way to the boat. or maybe he became stranded on the island, hacking the computers and jury-rigging systems to survive.

There many people in the various Jurassic park films who drop off screen and their story is never finished.

Last edited:
This is like asking someone to give you a story to write. We can’t possibly answer this. You have to think about a premise that interests you in the JP universe and explore it.

Sorry to be unhelpful but I see quite a few posts essentially asking for us to give people ideas. If you don’t have one then you don’t have a story.

Write what moves you - what’s important to you. :)

pH