CBS + Viacom = Giant Star Trek Multiverse

Cli-Fi

John J. Falco
Not really sure which Star Trek subsection this belongs in since it talks about the entire universe. Feel free to move if necessary @Brian G Turner:

The merger talks between CBS and Viacom (parent company of Paramount Pictures) that began in January are heating up with reports now indicating the two media companies will begin a new phase of discussions this week. According to Variety, they will be discussing valuations of the two companies, which is one of the last steps in the process. Variety reports that the final deal will have CBS as the “acquiring entity” with CBS Corp. CEO Leslie Moonves leading the combined entity.

Reunification Of Star Trek Inches Closer As CBS And Viacom Merger Talks Move To New Stage

My thoughts on the state of the franchise:

Star Trek Plans Full Canon Multi-Verse if CBS/Viacom Merger Goes Through

I hope they don’t do away with the Kelvin timeline Universe. That would not make me happy at all.

I hope they get rid of the plot hole ridden Kelvin timeline universe. That would make me very happy.

I hope they get rid of the plot hole ridden Kelvin timeline universe. That would make me very happy.

Holes ? Have taken a look at how many holes an contradictions there are in the original Trek cannon?

I think the Kelvin Timeline was one the best ideas they ever came up with.Thanks to Abrams ,Trek is relevant again. I hope they do many mor e KelvinTrek films.

Last edited:
Holes ? Have taken a look at how many holes an contradictions there are in the original Trek cannon?

I think the Kelvin Timeline was one the best ideas they ever came up with.Thanks to Abrams ,Trek is relevant again. I hope they do many mor e KelvinTrek films.

There are two things that spoil the Kelvin films for me.

One us the inclusion of 'Prime' Spock. Someone who has repeatedly gone back in time to fix problems with the timeline sees Vulcan destroyed and for first time ever, just accepts this massive change to the timeline that wipes out the majority of Vulcans. I just don't accept it at all. I would have been happier with a complete reboot than this poorly thought out connection to the originals. That or a second film where they had to stop 'Prime' Spock from doing just that for some reason (as long as it was a good one).

The second is Kirk. The original timeline Kirk was a man who had studied hard, got promoted through the ranks and earned his place as captain of the Enterprise. The Kelvin one is a playboy who didn't earn the rank of captain and is nearly made admiral after stunning incompetence that original timeline Kirk would be ashamed of. For me it sends out a much poorer message.

These two things bother me too much to enjoy these films.

Honestly when I saw the first of the new ST films I was left with the impression that, of the trio, only Spock was anything worth anything. Bones was hardly shown and almost a background character, whilst Kirk was basically another Jonny Depp - mucking around like a fool in the world and generally appearing pretty inept then pulling a serious "fast one" come the end of the film.

It's a far cry from the original Kirk who certainly played around and mucked around, but who also had a serious and sensible side to him.