Proof readers for entire text?

Sir Vivor

This Critiques forum is explicitly for public critiquing of excerpts.. I would like to find one or more proof readers for my entire text. Haven't found an obvious hot spot on the site where such exchanges can be arranged..

If you're interested, my text is 60K words and is a sci-fi a bit in the style of Carl Sagan's 'Contact'.. a fiction set in the nearish future (2038).

In exchange for proofreading my text, I can offer the same for your text, as long as yours is sci-fi too (pure fantasy doesn't interest me I'm afraid).

Thx!

You’ll likely find more offers for beta-reading (which is what you need before proof-reading) once you’ve put more work up in Critiques so people can judge how you write, plus once you’ve done a lot more critiquing yourself, so they can judge if your beta-reading is what they need.

Anyhow, we don’t have a dedicated forum for asking for beta-readers, it just takes place in GWD, which is where I’ll move this, since Critiques is purely for critiquing.

Critters.org offers critique exchanges but you will be expected to read others’ mss there too (everywhere, actually, unless you pay an editor). I agree with TJ though - you’re not at that stage, I think. Proofing is the last stage before publishing.

Another thing which might help is if you do a search for beta-readers here. That should throw up recent threads from other Chronners asking for help, and you could then see if they fit in with your needs. Frankly, though, I do think you’re not at the stage of needing betas, and you’d be better off working through Critiques for a good bit longer.

I'm not a writer, just a voracious reader.
However I'm very aware of what looks and scans right in a story and what sticks out and spoils the tale.

I've went through excerpts and chapters before for other members and 'nit-picked' them thoroughly.

I don't want any return favour :) I'm quite happy to get a free read before anyone else.

When you feel your work is "ready" then inbox me and I'll have a gander at it.

It's worth noting that there are significant differences between proofreading, copy editing, and beta reading. You will want to be clear on that score when making the request.