Would you upload your brain to The Cloud?

Digital slavery brings to mind Black Mirror episode White Christmas.

While it is a very interesting topic for SF aficionados, I think ultimately this conundrum only exists because our vision of identity is still deeply rooted in age-old socio-religious traditions that maintain that we are inhabited by a soul (The 'real' me) and it is something distinct from our body (the vessel I inhabit). To me this concept is the new, slightly more scientific, expression of the desire of people tainted by centuries of religious teachings to try to access Heaven after death.

How rarely do we see common sense like this in the general online discussion around this area (I'm not referring to Chrons specifically).
Well said, C.C.

The issue though is that nothing points to disembodied life being even remotely possible and I would even go as far as saying it is impossible (not because we haven't yet figured out how to do it, but because it is physically impossible).

This too. Our consciousness is 100% supported by our senses and by the society around us.

To me this concept is the new, slightly more scientific, expression of the desire of people tainted by centuries of religious teachings to try to access Heaven after death.

I think this would be inevitable even if there had been no religious concept of Heaven, because the egoic self finds it very difficult to cope with the possibility of not existing any more. We have whole worlds in our minds -- we can create entire galaxies -- how dare anything destroy that! And I think this particularly afflicts those who spend all their effort heaping up power, money and possessions, which they try to use as a wall against extinction, and they are the people with the desire and ability to pour their riches wastefully into funding such pointless technological schemes (which as I pointed out above almost certainly wouldn't work anyway, although this would be impossible to prove).

How rarely do we see common sense like this in the general online discussion around this area

It's simply because we don't encourage discussion of religious or spiritual issues - and I'd like to see that continue, even if someone has already posted a reductionist viewpoint. :)

I don't like the idea of having to battle against my old self in the future, so I will definetely stay away of the Cloud. :eek:

For me it conjures up an old line by Bob Dylan: "And if my thought dreams could be seen, they'd probably put my head in a guillotine."

On one level I'm joking, but on another I guess I'm wondering: Does this mean other people could hear/see my every thought?
If so, I would agree with Bob. I would be in some serious trouble. :devilish::D

It's simply because we don't encourage discussion of religious or spiritual issues - and I'd like to see that continue, even if someone has already posted a reductionist viewpoint. :)

As you know, I think that's a shame, but I entirely understand your motive for doing it.
btw, I did mention that I wasn't specifically referring to Chrons in my original comment!

Back