Stephen Hawking

Pyan

Hinc videre possum domum tuam...
Staff member
Supporter
World renowned physicist Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76.
He died peacefully at his home in Cambridge in the early hours of Wednesday, his family said.

A truly brilliant mind, and a great communicator, in defiance of his physical handicaps. RIP.

D: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo... the man was so awesome.

According to medical science he should have died decades back, so we should be grateful we had him as long as we did :(

yeah my mum had motor neuron disease. it is by no means an easy way to go. I have seen quotes from doctors saying they would rather have cancer.
I hope he donates himself to science to help out the mnd people. I know the docs are all confused as to how he survived so long.

What can one say about the loss of one of the greatest minds in history?:(

He's been the face of physics and black holes for decades. Even if the science has moved on from his original theories and the world has changed he's still the poster face for it. He's done a lot, been in a huge amount of popular media and been a beacon for those into the sciences as well as those critically disabled.

Indeed he outlived what anyone would have expected of him, a huge feat.

This is extremely sad news. In uni I read several of his papers and his books. All his work was surprisingly accessible. I hope that his work will be published in the same way Richard Feynman's has been. His life was difficult, but he still had a wonderful sense of humour. He will be greatly missed by both the scientific community and the world at large. RIP Professor. :cry:

Stephen Hawking = Genius --- The World - Stephen Hawking = major loss. If ever there was a person who managed greatness while his body absolutely deserted him, Stephen Hawking is that man.

@Penny .... Sorry about your Mom.

A very remarkable man with a great mind. He contributed so much to our understanding of the universe . Rest in Peace Stephen Hawking .

He died on Pi Day.*

RIP sir -- there'll never be another like you.

*It's not my fault you do your dates wrong and don't have Pi Day. Clearly an oversight on your part, missing out on all that pie.

Last edited:
I've heard it said that Stephen Hawking's book "A Brief History of Time" is the greatest best seller never read. Unfortunately, this is true about me too. I bought that book years ago and didn't make it past the first couple of chapters.

I can admire Stephen Hawking from a distance for his work on black holes, his ability to connect with the public and educate average people in science, and his incredibly optimistic attitude which allowed him to rise above a severe disability and become someone great. But in practical terms, the man was far more intelligent than I am and I do not relate to his understanding of physics.