From 75 words to an Amazon Best-seller

ratsy

I just wanted to share this story with all of you. We take part in these fun challenges month after month, and use it as a way to have fun, hone our skills, and work on ideas.

I'd been doing the challenges for a few years when I wrote one in June 2015. The theme was Arrival - Science Fiction of Fantasy was the genre.

Here was my entry.

Dawn to Dusk

The ships came at dawn.

Thousands of them littered the sky, blocking the rising sun.

I remembered the words my wife whispered into my ear as the last breath left her body. I took her necklace and strung it around my neck. It hummed softly as the blue stone lit up.

The screaming soon started and I saw hordes of people helplessly floating upwards.

I was left behind.

It was dusk when they left.

_______

I'm not even sure if I got a vote or not (didnt dig that far) but @Parson did say this in the discussion.

Ratsy, I really loved your story. It sounds like a stunning beginning for a novel.

That resonated, and I thought...'hmmmm it might make a cool book'

The idea was there... now what to do with it? I worked for a long time on this book... then held on to it while I wrote book two, and 3 other books in between.

Fast-forward almost 3 years later, and I am currently sitting at the #1 spot in a couple Amazon categories.

upload_2018-3-9_16-49-17.png

upload_2018-3-9_16-49-43.png

I guess I'm just trying to say that every word you write is important. Keep doing things like these challenges, because they make us not only better authors, but more creative thinkers as well.

You never know when an idea you come up with will spurn you on to write a novel, giving you a kickstart to what could become a career.

I owe a lot to this place, and specifically to these challenges. The day I found them 7 (guessing) years ago, something changed in me. I found a passion that had been lying dormant in me, and with out that, I wouldn't have unlocked the dream I'm now able to live.

I only hope that finding them will do for someone else what it did for me.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Not gonna lie, more inspired to do competitions now :D grats :)

I might take a few of the ones I wrote and flesh them out on my writing site or Wattpad. Or at the very least, have them posted somewhere.

I'm humbled to have played ever such a small part in the development of this series. But it was your hard work, perseverance, and talent which made an idea into a best seller. I salute you for that, and wish you all of the best.

(Immodestly, I did that once before. I had a professor in seminary who was an excellent theologian and a decent professor, if a bit aloof and uncomfortable around people.... I'm sure most of you know the type. .... Tragically, his son in his late teens/early twenties contracted cancer and after a long and heroic struggle he died. I heard his story of his personal struggle of walking alongside of and grieving with his son. His story was personal, practical, and emotional. I said to him: "You should write a book about your experience." .... I didn't think anything of it for years. One day I met him at a denominational meeting he searches me out and gives me a signed copy of the booklet which he wrote. Before he died he said publicly: It's the best thing I've ever written. It is titled Shared Pain & Sorrow: Confessions of a Secondary Sufferer and if it is ever your lot to walk with someone through the valley of the shadow of death it's a great resource.)
Shared Pain & Sorrow - Western Theological Seminary

I'm humbled to have played ever such a small part in the development of this series. But it was your hard work, perseverance, and talent which made an idea into a best seller. I salute you for that, and wish you all of the best.

(Immodestly, I did that once before. I had a professor in seminary who was an excellent theologian and a decent professor, if a bit aloof and uncomfortable around people.... I'm sure most of you know the type. .... Tragically, his son in his late teens/early twenties contracted cancer and after a long and heroic struggle he died. I heard his story of his personal struggle of walking alongside of and grieving with his son. His story was personal, practical, and emotional. I said to him: "You should write a book about your experience." .... I didn't think anything of it for years. One day I met him at a denominational meeting he searches me out and gives me a signed copy of the booklet which he wrote. Before he died he said publicly: It's the best thing I've ever written. It is titled Shared Pain & Sorrow: Confessions of a Secondary Sufferer and if it is ever your lot to walk with someone through the valley of the shadow of death it's a great resource.)
Shared Pain & Sorrow - Western Theological Seminary
So, feel free to let me know if one of my entries seems like a good novel... You apparently have a knack for this, and I would love to know which of my crazy ideas can turn into bestsellers. I'll send cake!

So, feel free to let me know if one of my entries seems like a good novel... You apparently have a knack for this, and I would love to know which of my crazy ideas can turn into bestsellers. I'll send cake!

:D I'm sure it's nothing that I can do intentionally. Both of those were pretty much spur of the moment blurt outs. :D