Michael J. Sullivan talks about why he split from Del Ray over Audio Rights

The Bluestocking

Bloody Mary in Blue
"[...] we've heard rumblings that publishers are cracking down on requiring audio rights, but that they are also not willing to increase the advances to account for having them. It was important to find out what the value of these were so we could make informed decisions so we started shopping the various books I have "in the works" to a number of audio publishers and found out...they're worth a lot. Like 7-figures for thee books a lot. That's MUCH, MUCH more than my first "major deal" (and it was my first 7-figure deal ever). So...I signed up the books, as it provided me a level of stability that is hard to come by in this business. I did so knowing full well that it might jeopardize the print and ebook versions. But it was, as they say making me "a deal I couldn't refuse."

Okay, so back to Robin setting the stage for books I've yet to sign for print/ebook which are:

• The last three books of the Legends of the First Empire
  • Three books in a new series "Empire Falls"
She wanted to make sure Del Rey realized that the audio books were sold, so they knew what they could have and what they couldn't -- basically the same as the last contract. As you might have guessed, the response came back that the CEO at Penguin Random House has made a corporate wide decree that states, that editors with their imprints (including Del Rey) are "absolutely, and with no exceptions, forbidden to strike deals anymore that do not include audio rights."

Read Sullivan's whole explanation and the ensuing discussion on r/Fantasy here:

Why Del Rey and I will be parting ways • r/Fantasy

Last edited:
He used direct-to-the-consumer sales with his 4th Riyria Chronicle (The Disappearance of Winter's Daughter) which will be officially on the market only in June 2018. I received my signed copy right after Christmas.