Netflix Lost In Space

So, have Netflix released the whole series at once without any promotion? That means either they have no confidence in it, or have extreme over-confidence. Or else, they just don't care about audience figures as long as people keep paying the subscriptions. The way they operate is totally at odds with broadcast TV stations, which is either refreshing or off-putting, depending on your viewpoint. It is certainly very strange. Is it the way forward?

I'll have to catch up with this, but there is so much new TV to watch (and all in the last two weeks too) that I feel overwhelmed.

I've seen ads on TV (I think Syfy and CNN) as well as big promos on social media.

I find Netflix often fails promote things. Movies and series slip past me and I don't find them till later. I am actively looking for new content so if it gets past me, it got past a lot of people.

They do an OK job with their core golden goose shows. Marvel, Stranger Things, Unfortunate Events, OITNB and House of Cards (this last may have changed).

It's not the first time I've had that happen ( not show up till I did a search).
Jessica Jones did not appear in my New or recently released listings nor did Daredevil.

Ah... the first episode was giving you history.. admittedly badly, but still. All you got in the first episode was crust crumbs. The series is a slow burn of suspenseful events.
Parker Posey does a fantastic job of making "Dr Smith" a cringe worthy individual, I hate that character!
Mina Sundwall does a good job with Penny, she plays her straight up.(the character is 16 as is Mina)
But why they have Taylor Russell(24) as Judy, looking and acting like a 14 yr old while supposedly 18 is beyond me.
The filming locations give you a fantastic idea of what British Columbia in Canada is like. From the desert scenes(Ashcroft, Cashe Creek) to the grass lands(Merrit?) to the forested mountains(sure I saw Seton Lake) to glacial mountain peaks(Squamish, Whistler) all of which was filmed within a 300 mile radius of Vancouver BC. I recognized so many spots while watching.(note: lots of subtle and not so subtle CGI added to location shots)

Last edited:
I was really quite excited to see this, but I could only manage the first half of the first episode. Flat and uninteresting. Yet another Netflix series I'll pass on.

If you only watched half of the first episode than you did yourself a disservice. The first episode was almost all background. The whole stuck in the ice part was probably the most boring theme of the series.

Netflix is not follow broadcast rules much anymore. Each episode doesn't have to fit the standard rules. They are will to spend entire episodes just giving background or setting up plotlines. They are more concerned whether the whole season fits the arc they want.

My review of first episode:

This is realistic wholesome family scifi if there ever was such a thing. It's a bit like Harry Potter mixed with the feel good scifi of Eureka or Wall-E. It's what After Earth should have been and it's not as cheesy as The Orville. It moves very slow but it has a lot going for it. It throws a lot at you in the first episode.

I barely saw any of the original series (way before my time), and for the first half hour I kept comparing it to the movie, which compared to this was a comedy. So I was pleasantly surprised about how complex it was and all the dynamics it introduced. I was right about my speculation about the Robot, that he's part biological. However, I did not expect what the robot was doing to the Jupiter's, or how he became friends with Will. Very star trek-like. Imagine if this was the first episode of TNG for instance??

I did not expect Judy to be saved by said Robot, in the movie she dies. So it would be interesting to see where her character goes. Will she have a death wish??? Does she?

I like the cast, and the themes. It's more survival aspects as opposed to the comedy/futuristic aspects of the movie. The bad part of the pilot was the way in which they introduced Dr. Smith and Penny and Don. That could have been done way better, and honestly not entirely sure they are needed. I would have been perfectly happy with just following the adventures of the Robinson's on this new planet, but since there are other Jupiter's out there perhaps the scope of this series is a lot larger than the Original series or the movie, that it's not just one ship.

That can provide plenty of shenanigans for that trio to get involved with until they meet up w/Robinsons. Just don't turn into The Walking Dead please!

Also please avoid IMDB reviews, *shudders* it's like the alt-right invaded them, because they dare make Judy black and Dr. Smith a woman. It's amazing what people get triggered by. Watch it with no expectations and if you are a true fan of modern day scifi you'll love it.

About Dr. Smith...
Changed completely. It's a she now. She's not even a doctor. Her name isn't even really Smith! And she's a whole lot more evil. How in the world will she be able to stay on??

It's like that show where they were all crash landed on a desert island together, with some evil entity, only now they are in space?

Gilligan's Planet ? And yes that show existed.

I have watched six of them even though I was supposed to watch just one or two and then put the series down. I did that with first two, but after I got migraine and needed to relax, I got hooked and it wasn't because of the painkillers. I got hooked because the story reminded me about the E.T and that special feeling that I liked it as much as I did about the Ghostbusters, when they came out in that year.

Netflix version of this famous series is an adaptation of the original concept and in their usual they've taken everything beyond the normal. In fact, their normal seems to be excellence when it comes to the science-fiction standard. To my surprise there are loads of really hard science in this series. They have even included Hawkings Radiation into the context and given it a plausible explanation. Everything you see has been thought and placed as well as they've done the same in the Expanse.

I know that I said in that thread this series is aimed at family, but as an adult watcher I am most intrigued by everything they've managed to put in. And the thing that has surprised me most is that they've fairly large cast and they work extremely well on the small screen. In some cases even better then similarly large staffed GoT or TWD. As this is a family series, they have avoided showing violence.

Some things go beyond the norm as the child cast deals with some pretty huge issues. Some that would be hard for adults to comprehend fully. The most standard run has been with the Young Adults. But as I have not finished the whole thing I cannot really say if their dealing in the bog standard as the series keeps hinting that they're also playing a bigger role and has to shoulder some adult responsibilities without really having the experience or wisdom of the older person.

In fact, the most oldest people are the minimal role. And just like it is with our society, they don't have much to say, although they give the greatest wisdom during the first six episodes: Be patient.

If you are looking great action between the aliens and humans, you're going to be slightly disappointed because this isn't about war. This is a colony survival series after they were propelled through the ... wormhole and the science in it is very, very sound and most plausible.

Netflix Lost in Space is very good. I'm just disappointed that they didn't do this as a weekly series, because it could have benefited greatly from larger discussion.

RE: Spoilers ...

People who get on the Internet to join discussions about movies and TV, then complain about spoilers are like people who jump in the swimming pool and complain about getting wet. :unsure:

Really. If you don't want to be spoiled, stay out of online discussions.

----

I'm four episodes in and liking but not loving it. The story is a little frantic, going from one crisis to the next with little room to breathe in between. The best scenes are actually the flashbacks to Earth, which are going more to make the characters interesting. And I'm a little baffled that in some scenes they go way in to the scientific techno-splaining, then in the next scene throw even basic common sense out the window.

It's good. Not great. At least from what I've seen so far.

I have watched six of them even though I was supposed to watch just one or two and then put the series down. I did that with first two, but after I got migraine and needed to relax, I got hooked and it wasn't because of the painkillers. I got hooked because the story reminded me about the E.T and that special feeling that I liked it as much as I did about the Ghostbusters, when they came out in that year.

Netflix version of this famous series is an adaptation of the original concept and in their usual they've taken everything beyond the normal. In fact, their normal seems to be excellence when it comes to the science-fiction standard. To my surprise there are loads of really hard science in this series. They have even included Hawkings Radiation into the context and given it a plausible explanation. Everything you see has been thought and placed as well as they've done the same in the Expanse.

I know that I said in that thread this series is aimed at family, but as an adult watcher I am most intrigued by everything they've managed to put in. And the thing that has surprised me most is that they've fairly large cast and they work extremely well on the small screen. In some cases even better then similarly large staffed GoT or TWD. As this is a family series, they have avoided showing violence.

Some things go beyond the norm as the child cast deals with some pretty huge issues. Some that would be hard for adults to comprehend fully. The most standard run has been with the Young Adults. But as I have not finished the whole thing I cannot really say if their dealing in the bog standard as the series keeps hinting that they're also playing a bigger role and has to shoulder some adult responsibilities without really having the experience or wisdom of the older person.

In fact, the most oldest people are the minimal role. And just like it is with our society, they don't have much to say, although they give the greatest wisdom during the first six episodes: Be patient.

If you are looking great action between the aliens and humans, you're going to be slightly disappointed because this isn't about war. This is a colony survival series after they were propelled through the ... wormhole and the science in it is very, very sound and most plausible.

Netflix Lost in Space is very good. I'm just disappointed that they didn't do this as a weekly series, because it could have benefited greatly from larger discussion.

Yeah I did not expect the science or other themes to go as deep as it did even in the pilot. I think it was one of the best science fiction pilots I have ever seen. It's been hours since I've watched it and I am still thinking about it. It's got that classic Spielberg sci-fi vibe that makes you think, and wholly original. I think the name will throw some people off, but that's because the original series was so dopey, and cheesy it hardly lived up to it's namesake. Lost in Space. Not comfortably camping in space while cracking jokes. This is what Lost in Space should have always been, even the movie.

To be honest I found it a bit bland, and hard going to tell the truth. Sadly a lot of series are having this affect on me. Also I am finding I am enjoying series 1 (as in Stranger Things,) but losing interest with the second. In fact the only SF show at the moment that can hold my attention is, The Expanse. Maybe my tastes are changing, or real life is occupying way too much of my time with serious stuff, that I need to watch and vegetate to simpler stuff, like Homes under the Hammer, and Flog it..... ;)

Reactions: ctg
I agree about the frantic pace. That and the Dr. Smith problem are the only things stopping me from giving my Seal of Approval! :LOL:

What I think About the Characters:

Father Robinson: He's Special Forces, instead of a Leading Scientist, this time. Frankly, I find his being SF much more logical.

Momma Robinson: She acts as much a mother as June Lockhart did. Just different era ideals.

Penny Robinson: Still a smart-ass teen. Love her! She was always my favorite.

Judy Robinson: Maybe she was adopted? Anyway, I really like this actress' portrayal of her.

Will Robinson: I am sooo glad they're not harping on and on about his scientific genius! He's a god mix of kid and crew member

Robot: It bothers me he's from alien origin, but he's so unique, I've fallen for it! :)

"Dr. Smith": Not enjoying this totally evil character. /no way could she last on this show! But Wait... what did she just say??*

*see next post

I am now thinking that, perhaps, Dr. Smith hasn't yet joined the show?

"I found the real Dr. Smith injured and bleeding." <-- Yes, this is what the Fake Dr. Smith said!

And think about it: It has been obvious from the start that this female knew nothing about the robot before the attack: She was surprised as everyone else!

But somebody had to bring that robot on board. Someone willing to do most anything - including working with hostile aliens - for personal benefit. Sounds like a Dr. Smith to me!

Perhaps the good doctor still waits to join the Jupiter 2? I certainly see no way the female could logically stay with the Robinsons!

We saw her take Dr. Smith's ID in the first episode. He was played by Bill Mumy who played Will Robinson in the original. Robot didn't start on the Resolute came off an alien ship.

Will Robinson: I am sooo glad they're not harping on and on about his scientific genius! He's a god mix of kid and crew member

This was an interesting tidbit that I'm glad you pointed out. The father/son relationship w/Will will be really interesting here. In the movie, Mr. Robinson was very supportive of Wills science although his job kept him from it and Will was disappointed, but that's about it. In this show there seems to be a lot more tension there. John already leaves Will alone on an alien planet??? Not cool dad! Also on the trek to get magnesium they were talking as if they hadn't spoken in years, "What are you into these days?" When Will said he used to be into science projects or something to that nature, that was when I knew this show is different from the movie. Its showing us how fast kids grow up these days as opposed to the more idealistic 90s. This family has way more deeper problems than the loving wholesome family of the movie.

Back