Netflix Lost In Space

Only problem I had with the movie, was that it would be "safer" going through the planet as it broke up, than tying to escape its gravity.

I think they also did that in one of episodes of the original series. I think it was the episodes where a intergalactic prospector played by Strother Martin was mining a rare substance called Cosmonium and his winning techniques caused the planet that the he and the Robinsons were on to break up., he was stuck on the planet because the thruster control on his ship wouldn't work and smith pilfered one from the Jupiter 2 and lost it in a card game to the Miner. When Jupiter 2 took off they couldn't ' achieve escape velocity so, they went thorough the disintegrating planet.

I’m surprised no one else has starting watching this, and given a review, so here goes mine.(I'll try to avoid spoilers, although I've certainly given away one.)

I’ve now watched the first three episodes, so I can give you a few comparisons.
First of all the characters are much more complex than in the original, or at least it seems so to me, but then I was but a wee lad back then.
There are conflicts between Maureen and John, and sibling rivalries among the children for instance.
The characters show psychological flaws, or develop them early in the first episodes which will clearly be exploited later in the series. (Maureen cheats on one of the kids' exam results to get the family accepted for the mission)
Doctor Smith, who is now a woman, is more complex, more evil, or at least thoroughly self-serving, and far less a comic prop.
The robot also has far more to him than in the original and some psychological problems of his own which have yet to be really explored.
He bonds to Will very early on, and he (the robot) and the doctor have a difficult past, entirely unknown to the others, although he, for the moment, seems only partially aware of it.
She, on the other hand, remembers it only too well. (To be continued....)
Anyway you won’t catch her calling him a bubble-headed booby any time soon.

All in all this series looks like being a worthy reboot, and I would suggest you give it a go if you have Netflix. (Is it available anywhere else?)

Personally, I just hope I haven't binge-watched the entire series before Tuesday morning.

Last edited:
I’m surprised no one else has starting watching this

I finished it (and Bosch). Overall I liked it. I really liked the way it ended. I was also impressed with the whole take on Robot.

They went to far with Dr. Smith. I'm glad they removed the silliness (I'm never a fan of silly) but the original Smith was more vague with his intentions. He was far more of a grey character. I found nothing grey about her.

I've been reading these posts wonder why I don't have this show, so I go check Netflix and nope nothing showing so I do a search and low and behold it is there, just not in recent additions.

Okay, I've now seen Episode 1.

I still don't like Robot's looks, but I actually appreciated how they treated his inclusion.

As for Doctor Smith... not so much.

I've been reading these posts wonder why I don't have this show, so I go check Netflix and nope nothing showing so I do a search and low and behold it is there, just not in recent additions.
Aha. I thought they would promote it, so I didn't look for it. Good to know.

Yes. I think I had to search for it, now you come to mention it. Maybe the announcement just got lost. (Groan.)

I quite liked how they brought the original theme tune back somewhat gradually as well. Sort of not pampering too much to us old nostalgics.

So, have Netflix released the whole series at once without any promotion? That means either they have no confidence in it, or have extreme over-confidence. Or else, they just don't care about audience figures as long as people keep paying the subscriptions. The way they operate is totally at odds with broadcast TV stations, which is either refreshing or off-putting, depending on your viewpoint. It is certainly very strange. Is it the way forward?

I'll have to catch up with this, but there is so much new TV to watch (and all in the last two weeks too) that I feel overwhelmed.

So, have Netflix released the whole series at once without any promotion? That means either they have no confidence in it, or have extreme over-confidence. Or else, they just don't care about audience figures as long as people keep paying the subscriptions. The way they operate is totally at odds with broadcast TV stations, which is either refreshing or off-putting, depending on your viewpoint. It is certainly very strange. Is it the way forward?

I'll have to catch up with this, but there is so much new TV to watch (and all in the last two weeks too) that I feel overwhelmed.

dunno about no promotion - I've been aware of this for months now and it's even been advertised on ITV

Yes. I think they made quite a lot of fuss about it about a month before the release, and have mentioned it's imminent arrival several times since.

Strangely though, they just didn't mention that it had arrived when it eventually did.
Maybe they're trying to find out if anyone could really care enough to actually look for it.
It's now appeared in the "Netflix Originals" grouping, but only since today, I think.

It was the first thing I could see on Netflix today, with a "popular on Netflix" tag.

The first episode showed promise, but the family seem to be incredibly unlucky people. :whistle:

It was the first thing I could see on Netflix today, with a "popular on Netflix" tag.

The first episode showed promise, but the family seem to be incredibly unlucky people. :whistle:

Yes, because they got themselves lost in space. :whistle:

Yes. I think they made quite a lot of fuss about it about a month before the release, and have mentioned it's imminent arrival several times since.

Strangely though, they just didn't mention that it had arrived when it eventually did.
Maybe they're trying to find out if anyone could really care enough to actually look for it.
It's now appeared in the "Netflix Originals" grouping, but only since today, I think.
Last night, it appeared in my "Suggested for Cathbad" grouping.

Back