Old Tech thread

IMG_2808.jpeg

Reading through these posts was entertaining. I work with a lot of the type of old tech you're talking about. This piece spans nearly 100 years in tech. The upper wood section was originally made in 1929 with the multipoint add-on attached in '32 allowing the very important executive to contact up 12 additional other people. Especially fun for me was opening up the inside and finding a set of tags that each tech had to sign off at their station and a supervisor did too. The quality control was exemplary. I get lost in thinking about the world of those folks and how difficult it is to imagine their lives and then how impossible it would be for them to think some future artist would find their work and make an ansible out of it.

DSC_5578.jpg
DSC_5579.jpg

My question is: "Why do all those vending machine ads have a female using it?" As if men weren't spending money on stupid or useless things.

Early days of Wikipedia. The man pictured is Mr James Wales, we used to write him a letter requesting information on a subject of great controversy. Eventually we would get a hand-written missive containing conflicting opinions on the topic.
Every six months or so, there would be a knock at the door, and there we would find Mr Wales holding out his hat for a shilling or even half a crown to pay for the repairs to the ladder.
Haven't times changed!

Last edited:
Training an RAF airman in using a parachute in 1931. The aircraft is a Vickers Vimy bomber, with a special 'step-off' platform fitted.
He doesn't look that enthusiastic about the idea...

31090714.jpg

Back