Old Tech thread

Well done Vladd, they were very inventive!
I notice this implement quickly removes those "back aches" peculiar to ladies (as it says in the blurb)

This was the first 'music system' that I ever had:

Music system.jpg

A full six buttons and one volume dial. Hi-tech '77 style.

'77?!? I would have thought '67. Or maybe it was state-of-the-art portable in '77.

By '77, I had a Sony 7 inch reel to reel stereo tape deck, patched into the turntable and integrated reciever/amp.

Aahhhh piracy was so easy in those days. Borrow an LP. Listen to it and copy it at the same time. A 1200 foot 1.5 mil tape would hold an entire LP on each side. I could squeeze three LP's onto two sides of an 1800 foot 1 mil tape.

I noticed the article refers to Britains air giant, The Brabazon, this amazing plane would be so big it could take one hundred passengers across the Atlantic!

I seem to remember that there was an ‘exploded diagram’ of the Barabazon in an Eagle annual in the late 50s. Very impressive. I seem to remember it had bunks for the passengers much like sleeper trains.

Why has no one commented on the pink rabbit's foot key fob? Were pink rabbits also "a genuine thing back in 1955"?
I went a-looking Dave, and I did indeed find reference to a dyed pink rabbits foot in 1956, however this was in a blog article that also uses the N word (common in those days it seems) so I'm not sure that I should post a link

Actually, YouTube has lots of pink rabbits. Even using safe food dye, I'm not sure that it is a humane thing to do, so I won't give them any promotion with a link here.

The foot was actually from an elephant during an under-cover operation.
Sure ain't using that disguise again!

I remember my grandfather inventing a tv remote, a bit earlier than this.
It worked some of the time but failed on the fine tuning.

Basically it was a long stick with a rubber bung on the end.

(PS note how they've cut the right hand side off the TV (and her shins/feet) in the photo; ie where all the knobs and dials are. Presumably the other half of the "universal remote" fits over these and twiddles and pushes them on the tv itself)

Back