Old Tech thread

reiver33

Only Forward
Wasn't that antiquated equipment in 86?
It was obsolete, but worked, and the current management had grown up with it (these were the days of career path within a single organisation) and were comfortable with it. It was still going strong in ‘88 when I left.

HanaBi

Nexus 9.1 For Sale. One Careful Owner
Supporter
This was my first computer (albeit used at school). A Tandy TRS80 Model 3, from as far back as 1979/80. I can't recall the exact specs but I know it only had 4K of RAM (yes, 4K); a green on black screen; and a couple of either 7" or 5" floppy disk drives.

Looked the bees knees back then but it was incredibly slow, heavy and noisy!

psikeyhackr

Physics is Phutile, Fiziks is Fundamental
a green on black screen; and a couple of either 7" or 5" floppy disk drives.

You didn't like the loud buzzing noise of floppy disk drives? LOL

There was another model with 8" floppy drives. The word processing department used them at a hospital I worked at in the 1980.
They got chicken bones in the keyboard.s I was amazed.

reiver33

Only Forward
Prior to working for Lothian Council I was with a local light engineering firm, running their job costing and stock control system. This was on a Commadore Business Machine (it said so, right on the front), with 32k memory and twin external 5 1/4 floppy drive.

Parson

This world is not my home
Supporter
Ah yes, the "good old days" with green lettered screens, two floppies, and (for me) a 20 meg hard drive. Running at 2.4 ghz (IRC).

This is what my first computer looked like. Yep! True Blue IBM, a synagogue was updating to a 286 and they gave us/me this. Worked well for years and years, but soon it seemed SOOOOO SLOOOOOW.

HanaBi

Supporter
Sinclair ZX81.

My first home computer, bought for £69.99 in 1981 from WH Smiths. I also had to buy a cassette recorder to save and load games. Also bought some computer magazines like "ZX Computing" and would spend hours copying gaming code line by line, and as soon as I clicked "Run" the game would crash without me saving the game to tape first!

Shortly after I bought the 16K RAM pack and the thermal printer (with the "silver" paper). Great fun, especially with the games on offer like "3D Monster Maze" and some text-only adventure games

Vladd67

Stake Holder
Supporter
Sinclair ZX81.

My first home computer, bought for £69.99 in 1981 from WH Smiths. I also had to buy a cassette recorder to save and load games. Also bought some computer magazines like "ZX Computing" and would spend hours copying gaming code line by line, and as soon as I clicked "Run" the game would crash without me saving the game to tape first!

Shortly after I bought the 16K RAM pack and the thermal printer (with the "silver" paper). Great fun, especially with the games on offer like "3D Monster Maze" and some text-only adventure games

Did you paint a stripe on the cassette player’s volume control so you could easily use it?

pyan

Great Old One
Staff member
Supporter
I've still got my Spectrum's thermal printer, and a box of paper rolls to go with it...:)

Cathbad

Level 30 Geek Master
This was my first computer (albeit used at school). A Tandy TRS80 Model 3, from as far back as 1979/80. I can't recall the exact specs but I know it only had 4K of RAM (yes, 4K); a green on black screen; and a couple of either 7" or 5" floppy disk drives.

Gads I hated these! No one who typed over 60wpm could use the slow-*ss things!!

Venusian Broon

Defending the SF genre with terminal intensity
Supporter
In the 90s the first server I built was a 486x100 with 16meg and was considered a monster.
In about 1981 I remember programing with a ZX80 and running out of memory just typing in a program. But then it had a huge 1k. 16 Meg would be a supercomputer at that time. :giggle:

It's amazing how for granted we take todays computer's massive storage spaces!

HanaBi

Supporter
After learning all about Sinclair Basic and Machine Code on the ZX81 and Spectrum machines. I upscaled to what I still consider to be a "proper" home computer - the Sharp MZ80A in 1983.

Not only was it fully integrated (keyboard, cassette deck and monitor) but had a fairly decent 48K of RAM (good for the times) and a decent processor. Still had a green on black screen with some lumpen graphic resolution and basic sounds.

But what I liked most was how easy it was to load and save games and other applications too and from cassette tape. No more fiddling about with volume levels and hoping for the best. And the keyboard was pretty excellent too, which made for writing programs and learning new languages like Super-Basic, Pascal Interpreter and Disassemblers.

Robert Zwilling

Supporter
I still have my slide rule but I lost the leather case it was stored in. Smart HP calculators were okay to use during tests, the only trick was being able to afford one. I had one of those Sinclair computers and soldered a keyboard to it, didn't like the little keyboard. One of these days I will have to get a bluetooth keyboard for the phone. I have several black model 500 rotary phones, they work great when the power goes out. Might even have a yellow one somewhere. Couple of old electric fans with a simple screen made of a few 16 gauge wires covering the blades, you can stick your hand inside the cage. I guess it was there to protect the fan blades.