Old Tech thread

Parson

This world is not my home
Supporter
Umm - still there, on my browser anyway...:unsure:
Okay, now I'm flummoxed. This morning it's back where it's supposed to be. And I'm using the same computer, the same browser, and the same wireless network. :unsure:

dask

dark and stormy knight
Screenshot_20231128-112553_Facebook.jpg

Hope that guy with the bucket doesn't step off. The rope looks like it's starting to unravel below the knot.:(

Vertigo

Mad Mountain Man
Supporter
View attachment 112771
Hope that guy with the bucket doesn't step off. The rope looks like it's starting to unravel below the knot.:(
I'm a mountaineer and, I'm sorry, but everything about that is just so wrong. :eek: It's not just the people, if they drop even the smallest item it could kill from those sort of heights. When I was sailing on the tall ship if we wanted to climb the ratlines up the masts we would first have to demonstrate that any loose items, such as cameras etc, were securely tied to us.

Liz Bent

Ah! The "were so amazingly primitive that they still though digital watches were a pretty neat idea" thread.

My first calculator was like this one.
Sinclair%20Cambridge%20Scientific_2.jpg

We were all especially impressed that you could write ShELL OIL on it if you turned it upside down.
And it was no use getting used to it, because you could only use sslide rules in exams.
Our class was far less sophisticated, we wrote "BOOBIES" with our calculators

Pyan

Nolite turbare mortuos qui somniant
Staff member
Supporter
:oops:
Let's hope one of the handwheels isn't for a vital emergency safety function!