Old tech thread

Dave

Custom title not found
Staff member
Supporter
My Dad had a small TV like that when he worked night shifts. It wasn't a Walkman. He had bought it in Saudi Arabia so it would have been American. It was much less chunky than that but it had a huge aerial bigger than it was. I thought it was real Sci-Fi as there was nothing like it available in the UK then. This must have been about 1984-5. I've Googled "portable TV" images and it may have been a Zenith Model No. BT044S.

Does anyone else remember watching black & white portable TVs while camping run off the car battery? But you try and tell the young people today that... and they won't believe ya'.

Anthoney

Bearded Member
I do. My father brought a portable B&W with us on every family camping trip. We only ran it from the battery a few times because most of the family campgrounds we stayed at had power.

Parson

This world is not my home
Supporter
My brother (22 years younger) had one in the early 80's and he thought he was in tech heaven. He could watch it in the car! It ran on D batteries if my memory serves.

dannymcg

The mackerel of the cornflake
Does anyone else remember watching black & white portable TVs while camping run off the car battery?
Every one I ever saw, my Dad's, my friend's dad's, relations etc etc all had the crappy black plastic handle on top that had broken off at one side :oops:

HanaBi

Nexus 9.1 For Sale. One Careful Owner
Supporter
It might look incredibly clunky but it probably still ran better than Windows Vista :LOL:

As for the steering wheel gubbins - well perhaps the "home computer" had early portability pretensions and you could "steer" it to a different room!

farntfar

She turned me into a newt.
When I first got a job in computing we worked on a computer like this one.

The system which ran a manufacturing company of some 700 employees had a CPU with 64K of memory which took up the space of small van. It had four disk drives, each about the size of a washing machine, on which you could load removeable disks like a pile of 6 oversized pizzas (about 2 foot across). Programming was done on punched cards, (usually between 2000 and 9000 cards per program step, with 18 programs to run a payroll.)

Windows or other multiprocessing systems had yet to arrive. The 360 could run a staggering 1 process concurrently.

There were no screens. An operator would run the programs via a console consisting of an entry keyboard and a typewriter. (Think of the teletype on which the Grandstand football results used to come up). Error messages were restricted to 3 characters to save time. ("%14" for instance meant an employee who is no longer employed has been included in this pay run.)
The operators main job apart from monitoring these messages was swapping the disks after each program step.
A typical payroll run took over an hour to complete.
A cost analysis for the week, (run just after midnight on Wednesdays) took 3 1/2 hours.)

There was a big red emergency pull switch on the front, which was to be pulled if ever the CPU caught fire, which, happily, it never did. New staff were "initiated" by getting them to unscew said switch and screw it back on with a coke can tab hanging behind the red bit, without killing the system. (It would take half a day to reboot.)

Ah! Simpler times.

reiver33

Only Forward
My first 'real' job it IT was the payroll department of Lothian Regional Council in 1986. For the first half day I was sure they were winding me up, because the principle payroll program was 12,500 punch cards....

Parson

This world is not my home
Supporter
My first 'real' job it IT was the payroll department of Lothian Regional Council in 1986. For the first half day I was sure they were winding me up, because the principle payroll program was 12,500 punch cards....
Wasn't that antiquated equipment in 86?

Cathbad

Level 30 Geek Master
My first computer was a 5.25" floppy thingy, $905 from Sears.

Hated it... went back to my Selectric 3.

First desktop I ever worked on was a Wang, with a - I'm not sure... 18"? floppy. A USArmy mistake. Took forever to load (step 1, disk 1) then you had to double the time, loading a program (step 2, disc 2). By the time it was ready to use, I'd have been done with the projects I needed to do, using my Selectric.

Cathbad

Level 30 Geek Master
Then the stupid Army went and bought those stoopid scan-pens. "Look! You can scan a whole page onto the screen!"

> One line at a time...
> Then correct the mistakes...
> Then realize the finished product is incompatible with your print program.

Wonderful tool!