Old Tech thread

They did get pretty large,,,

troverfavpk.jpg

I attended a chainsaw course a few years back. The instructor, just out of interest, showed us some photos of chainsaws that he’d used in competitions. Some of the were taller than him.

Then, as part of the health and safety element of the course, he showed us some photos of victims of chainsaw accidents. After seeing them I was a bit reticent about even picking one up never mind starting the thing and cutting wood. Chainsaw ‘kickback’ is a term constantly in my head whenever I’m using one.

My instructor had some learning aids he kept in a carrier bag. One of them was a chainsaw helmet and face-visor, chewed straight down the middle from the peak to half way down the mesh. :eek:

Years later I was asked back to assist in monitoring the course, same instructor. I asked him if he still had the split helmet. He said, no, that one broke so I had to make a new one...:oops:

Then he looked at the expression on my face and said " Yes, they're faked - but the important thing is that they work. I bet you still automatically keep your head to the side, not over the bar? There you are"...

I met a fellow in Yukon, Canada, who had been a kid when the Alaska highway was being built. He said of technologies coming to them, the chainsaw and the outboard motor changed their world the most.

Not exactly 'old tech' - but an interesting paragraph from the MM's Air News page, August 1953:

54080386.jpg

I hadn't realised the Lockheed Hercules was coming up for its 70th birthday in a couple of years...

55020075.jpg

MM, August 1954

Not exactly 'old tech' - but an interesting paragraph from the MM's Air News page, August 1953:

View attachment 103076
I would have thought that more people traveling across the Atlantic by plane than ship would have been passed at least 5+ years before. --- (Parson thinks, Hm? I wonder how the war figures into those stats? Maybe that's why it took that long?)

I would have thought that more people traveling across the Atlantic by plane than ship would have been passed at least 5+ years before. --- (Parson thinks, Hm? I wonder how the war figures into those stats? Maybe that's why it took that long?)
And it was only 26 years after Lindbergh made his famous flight.

Back