Old tech thread

Parson

This world is not my home
Supporter
Whoa! That's too geeky for me. (I did play games on a TS 80 for a while. "Chyssome (sp) Trail" comes to mind and "Space Defender." Didn't much use it as a computer.

Anthoney

Bearded Member
Holy Radio Shack, Batman. I never used any Tandy equipment except when I was freeloading in their stores. They had great AC.

Alex The G and T

Thar! That Blows.
With the excitement about the advent of home computing, upthread, and looking back from today's tech; it's easy to forget that complex computing required access to a mainframe.

Hence the limited demand. To need such a terminal, the user would have to be employed by Government, Military, Academia or a Very Large Corporation in order to have access to a mainframe computer.

Edward M. Grant

When I took my computing course at school they had removable 5MB hard drives. I think they were 12" across?

And, in one of my early jobs I worked with a jukebox of 12" optical disks with an amazing 4GB capacity. That was exciting when trying to read and write to more than two disks at once so the arm was continually swapping disks over between the storage rack and the drives.

Parson

Supporter
8 in. floopys were amazing! But I started with the 5 1/2.

Vertigo

Mad Mountain Man
Supporter
I finally bit the bullet and threw all my old 5 1/2 inch floppies away a couple of years ago. On the basis that I'll probably never even see a 5 1/2 inch drive again and besides the software on them would only run on a computer that hasn't been made for over thirty years. And as it used a proprietary HP operating system, not even CP/M, I suspect even trying to read them with an appropriate drive would be very difficult. Ho hum, life move one....

Dave

Custom title not found
Staff member
Supporter
Could you not offer to donate them to a museum?

I hate people throwing things away that have history and where there are no other examples left. There will be other examples of your 5 1/2 floppies, but when everyone has thrown them away, well then there won't be any longer.

I know that archivists working in museums have to go onto ebay to buy Betamax and 8-track tape players so that they can convert video and music to more modern formats. So, they would bite you hand off if you have any of those machines in working order. The same would presumably apply to old computers with ancient operating systems.

Edward M. Grant

I know that archivists working in museums have to go onto ebay to buy Betamax and 8-track tape players so that they can convert video and music to more modern formats.
I had to go to ebay a couple of years back to buy a VCR so I could play back the camcorder tapes I recorded in the early 2000s. I still need to buy one to play the HD camcorder tapes I recorded in the late 2000s.

And I'd already bought a VCR off ebay in the 2000s so I could copy the analogue camcorder tapes from the 90s onto the digital tapes I was using at the time.

We're lucky everything is now digital, and you only need the right software to open the file.

Edward M. Grant

If you get the chance, the Nevada nuclear test site tour is well worth taking. Not many people get to drive along a road with nuclear bomb craters on each side as far as you can see...

Or use a porta-potty on the edge of a hydrogen bomb crater.

Vince W

Towel Champion
Supporter
That built in cassette drive was a thing of beauty. It didn't matter that it required the same power as a small Welsh village to run.

Parson

Supporter
Danny, what a blast from the past. This might have been the least well known of all Sony products (of those which were mass produced.) But weren't they the Giant back in the "Walkman" days? ---- How that changed. Sony now is just one of many fighting a losing battle with the smart phone.