Old Tech thread

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
I thought the father was pointing a pistol at his son, "You will have this aeroplane toy and you will like it!" but then I realised it was a tobacco pipe. Those were the days, when you could tell husbands were relaxed because, although they were still wearing their work suit, they had their pipe out, and everyone used Macassar hair oil.

Note also, the extendable speaker phone to talk to the TV man.

dask

dark and stormy knight
Someday we’ll be able to watch our favorite radio program:
630C983B-EBED-442C-AEAE-1C092D67FA77.jpeg

psikeyhackr

Physics is Phutile, Fiziks is Fundamental
Is that a voice controlled television with a microphone sticking out of the front?

And you must not watch TV at home unless you are wearing a suit and tie.

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
"What's wrong with this picture?"

The clock on the TV screen and the grandfather clock show different times. The grandfather is 12 o'clock. (No TV during the daytime or that late at night.) The other clock says a quarter past seven. TV was live. (Nothing to record it on until metal discs in 1927 but that was prohibitively expensive until magnetic tape came along.)

Am I right?

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
I'm impressed by the Staccatone. I never realised there were electronic instruments as early as 1923.

Parson

This world is not my home
Supporter
What's wrong with this picture?

the picture on the wall is seen through the screen. Am I right?

farntfar

I didn't so much fly...,as plummet.
Am I right?
I couldn't help but hear this as asked by the Memory Man who appeared at the beginning and end of the film of The 39 Steps.
Members of the audience would ask him questions and he would reel of the answers ending each answer with "Am I right sir?"

At the end of the film Richard Hannay (Robert Donat) asks him "What are the 39 steps" to which he starts to reply "The 39 Steps is a secret organisation dedicated to the overthrow of" when he gets shot. And as Hannay rushes to help him, with his dying breath he says "Am I right sir?"

So as Hannay, I think, replies, "You were right in every particular."

Vladd67

Stake Holder
I couldn't help but hear this as asked by the Memory Man who appeared at the beginning and end of the film of The 39 Steps.
Members of the audience would ask him questions and he would reel of the answers ending each answer with "Am I right sir?"

At the end of the film Richard Hannay (Robert Donat) asks him "What are the 39 steps" to which he starts to reply "The 39 Steps is a secret organisation dedicated to the overthrow of" when he gets shot. And as Hannay rushes to help him, with his dying breath he says "Am I right sir?"

So as Hannay, I think, replies, "You were right in every particular."

farntfar

I didn't so much fly...,as plummet.
Indeed.
The conversation was slightly more complicated than I remembered, but the "Am I right, sir?", and his intonation, is as I remember. :)