What do you read when you're ill?

Vince W

Towel Champion
Supporter
I've had a bugger of a cold recently and am finally on the mend. I hope. I can't watch too much television at once and I don't have a telly in my bedroom so I try to read. I find that while I want to read, I can't focus on anything too heavy, so I started rereading some childhood favourites. I started with The Wind in the Willows, but that was too taxing when all you want to do is cough and sneeze. I switched to James and the Giant Peach, but even that made my brain ache after a while. I ended up with More About Paddington and I could manage a few pages at a time with that.

Anybody else got some sickbed favourites?

Vorkosigans, Douglas Adams, things I’ve read a million times and don’t have to think about. Fuzzy fluffy stuff.

Currently, darned little. I've managed a couple of short stories after setting aside a novel I just couldn't get into. I don't think it's the novel's fault, I think it's mine and I'll try again next month.

Ranny heM. (*sniffle*)

I tend to go for YA favourites - like Dark Lord of Derkholme or Abhorsen.
If feeling a little better than that, I go for other favourites like Lois McMaster Bujold (more often fantasy) or Pratchett. But those need you a bit more switched on.

Also cartoon books - Footrot Flats for example.