Firefly to make a comeback.

I really like Firefly. It had some really great characters in it and it's a shame it only lasted a single season with a film released later on, which tried to tie up some of the loose ends from the series. But I always thought its biggest problem was it was sci-fi show that didn't have any aliens in it. I think that most people if you ask them what makes a sci-fi series, a sci-fi series, it would be it has to have aliens in it.

A lack of Aliens was the only thing I didn't like about it.

I really like Firefly. It had some really great characters in it and it's a shame it only lasted a single season with a film released later on, which tried to tie up some of the loose ends from the series. But I always thought its biggest problem was it was sci-fi show that didn't have any aliens in it. I think that most people if you ask them what makes a sci-fi series, a sci-fi series, it would be it has to have aliens in it.
There were no overt aliens when the series was pulled (who know what would have happened if had gone on) but it did have the very mysterious Reavers. We never saw them but the fear they inspired was compelling.

Reavers were shown in the series twice. Once as a ship and once as a part survivor. They were shown to be human, that was part of their fearsome nature. The film Serenity expanded on them fully and completed the Reaver story arc.

I liked that there weren't aliens in a way because it gave it a space show with something different to it. Plus who knows what would have happened if the series hadn't been pulled. Aliens - old ships from Earth That Was (or new ones) - political events - rebooting the war - River and Simon meeting their parents - etc... LOADS of things.

Honestly I think the movie likely wrapped up about two or three seasons worth of the show. Yet even by the end there were still questions as the Two by Two Hand of Blue pair didn't appear nor was their story resolved.

That said I think many of these are actually answered in the Firefly comics that I've yet to get hold of and read. Joss uses comics quite a bit to continue things; there's even an extensive Buffy and Angel series of comics.

The Ghost Machine is the next one and it's due for release in June.

"Mal and the crew take receipt of a sealed crate which they are being paid to transport to Badger, no questions asked. Yet once their cargo is safely stowed aboard, River insists Mal should “space” it out of the airlock, for it contains, she insists, ghosts.

With supplies running low, the crew desperately need another pay day, but soon find themselves paralysed by hallucinations of their deepest hopes and desires, so vivid they cannot be distinguished from reality.

River is the only one unaffected, and desperately tries to awaken her crew mates, while the fantasies turn sour, and the ship begins to spin out of control."

Firefly The Ghost Machine.jpg

Book 4 is Generations.

"Captain Malcolm Reynolds ends a game of cards on one of the Outer Rim moons as the lucky winner of an old map. Ancient and written in impenetrable symbols, the former owner insists it’s worthless.

Yet back on Serenity, River Tam is able to read it, and says that it points the way to one of the Arks, legendary generation ships that brought humans from Earth-that-was to the ‘Verse. The salvage potential alone is staggering.

But the crew approach the aged floating ship, they find it isn’t quite as dead as it first seems, and the closer they get, the more agitated River becomes. She claims something is waiting on that ship, something powerful, and very angry…"

Firefly Generations.jpg

I was lucky enough to meet Ron Glass (Shepherd Book) and Alan Tudyk (Wash) and they talked a bit about what would happen in a Serenity sequel - I wonder if these will cover any of that material. For me, the success of this type of novel is how much it matters in the universe, rather than just being a nice story (which the Star Wars expanded material sometimes suffers from).

I was lucky enough to meet Ron Glass (Shepherd Book) and Alan Tudyk (Wash) and they talked a bit about what would happen in a Serenity sequel - I wonder if these will cover any of that material. For me, the success of this type of novel is how much it matters in the universe, rather than just being a nice story (which the Star Wars expanded material sometimes suffers from).

interesting to get that perspective from the two characters that wouldn’t be in such a sequel!

In fairness Shepherd could be through flashbacks, same for Wash. Though I always got the impression that Kaylee and Wash were both pretty neutral in backgrounds with no major secrets. Or at least season 1 what we got never really pushed the two forward with mysteries to hide. Shepherd was full of secrets so has a lot of flashback potential.

Yeah, they pretty much said it would be set earlier in the timeline (or at least partly). I think at that point they had given up hope on any sequel happening but they didn't mention any plot points or anything.

It was followed by a Serenity screening with a bunch of Firefly/Serenity fans, which was brilliant too - it's always so great to experience reactions of films with fans.

There was a big chunk of stuff between the series and Serenity that wasn't covered - Mr Universe etc... There were also a few changes, eg when River originally was extracted it wasn't Simon who did it, but agents who got her out and smuggled her to Simon. Which fit because early on he was exceptionally low-action in combat (I think the first time we saw him fight was the attack on the space station). That was a surprising change to the original story, though ultimately rather minor in how things panned out.

@Overread Simon said something like, "I can't believe I shot someone." To which Book responds, "I was there son. I'm fair sure you still haven't" to general amusement.

Such an interesting phenomenon. Not enough people liked it, but those who do love it with undying passion.

Initially , I didn't like it , But over time , it grew one me. More so after. Serenity which was a terrific film ! And should have spawned a few sequels !

A major reason not "enough" people liked it the first time around was that it got a terrible release. Showing episodes out of order at different times each week and often competing with high attention events on other channels. Basically the executive in charge did everything he could to basically give it no chance at all. I would wager if it had had a more stable and sensible release it would have done far far better.

I had no idea they were planning novels - did these ever come about? Has anyone read them?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Tolkien RJJ General TV Discussion 19
Vladd67 Firefly 29
REBerg Firefly 2
Toby Frost Firefly 113
Parzival Firefly 0