Firefly to make a comeback.

About time. Okay, I’m in.

I’ll be looking forward to seeing the covers.

Last edited:
So the fire novel is "Big Damn Hero" by James Lovegrove. Due for release in November.

I just preordered mine from Forbidden Planet.

6cfe2502a7bc57c91cadc78cdd611a2a1ac4.jpg.size-600_maxheight-600_square-true.jpg

Why the hell don't they bring this seres to the small screen in some form. It would portably do very well,

Why the hell don't they bring this seres to the small screen in some form. It would portably do very well,
Firefly was out-of-the-ordinary TV space opera , I mean it was not Star Trek like. Fans of the show really liked it, I can't remember reading anything as to why it did not succeed. It had an awful Nielsen rating I don't suppose there was a market survey to find out why?
Like I said I liked the show, would like to see it return, tho I consider The Expanse a better space opera.

@Al Jackson I did not discover Firefly until 2011 or so. I thought it was excellent fun. My understanding is that the show failed for numerous reasons.

FOX wanted another Buffy/Angel show from Whedon and did not attempt to try and understand Firefly.
FOX aired the episodes out of Whedon's intended order... eg. the pilot was the third or fourth episode aired.
The time slot continually changed.
The show was marketed as a zany comedy... so the people wanting zaniness were disappointed and the people who would watch a Western/Sci-fi themed adventure never tuned in.

Much as I love the show (I’m a browbcoat, mind you) I think reprising the series would not be that much fun. Sure there will be stories, even better stories, but that sudden but inevitable betrayal of FOX was an important reason that helped the series to become a cult hit. But that’s just me.

If it went back into production, the verse would/should have progressed fifteen to twenty years. I would not want to see the same crew together on Serenity. I'd like to think they'd have done something with their lives in the interim... in fact, Firefly's characters should probably be mere guest stars on the show that features new characters in the verse.

The next book in the series is The Magnificent Nine.

91PEy6+AM6L.jpg

I pre-ordered my copy from Forbidden Planet.

If it went back into production, the verse would/should have progressed fifteen to twenty years. I would not want to see the same crew together on Serenity. I'd like to think they'd have done something with their lives in the interim... in fact, Firefly's characters should probably be mere guest stars on the show that features new characters in the verse.

I can agree with that angle, especially as getting the whole old cast together would be tricky.
That said it can hit a huge wall. Part of the original charm of the series was the way the crew and actors worked together. That's something that is exceptionally hard to recreate in a series. You can port the same formula over new characters, but they might not work and actors might not gel the same way and its even harder when all your fanbase was sort of wanting the old crew back together.

You can see it in other series. NCIS has two clone series based off it and neither of them, in my view, captures that same magic as the core teams did in the original series. Heck I think that having lost several key actors now the newest NCIS series also doesn't recapture that same feeling. Of course when its a steady swapover of characters that's more accepted by fans as they evolve with the series.

A totally brand new crew or just one or two old Firefly crew or the old crew as camo-appearances could be done; but you're going to need one heck of a team of actors to pull it off.

Still I'd love to see it. Firefly was fresh in the sci-fi world and it was great to get a sci-fi series that wasn't mated to "alien of the week" formulas.

I hadn't heard of these novels before, but even after the film, Serenity, and the series of graphic novels, there were still questions about the Firefly universe that remained unanswered. I would like to see those answered, but they are mostly historical, regarding the Reavers, Hands of Blue, and the Earth-that-Was. So, maybe a prequel is a better idea?

I can agree with that angle, especially as getting the whole old cast together would be tricky.
That said it can hit a huge wall. Part of the original charm of the series was the way the crew and actors worked together. That's something that is exceptionally hard to recreate in a series. You can port the same formula over new characters, but they might not work and actors might not gel the same way and its even harder when all your fanbase was sort of wanting the old crew back together.

Arrested Development is a great example of this. I wanted the 4th and 5th seasons to be good, but the magic of those first 3 was gone and even though everyone on the show is a talented comic actor, the chemistry is different after almost a decade off the air.

I really like Firefly. It had some really great characters in it and it's a shame it only lasted a single season with a film released later on, which tried to tie up some of the loose ends from the series. But I always thought its biggest problem was it was sci-fi show that didn't have any aliens in it. I think that most people if you ask them what makes a sci-fi series, a sci-fi series, it would be it has to have aliens in it.

I'm not so sure of that. I am sure I am not one of them. Certainly not to the point (as many outsiders seem to believe) that SF equals aliens.
Nor does a movie need to be about aliens to be a good movie. See 2001 and Bladerunner. And Firefly, of course.

Much as I love the show (I’m a browbcoat, mind you) I think reprising the series would not be that much fun. Sure there will be stories, even better stories, but that sudden but inevitable betrayal of FOX was an important reason that helped the series to become a cult hit. But that’s just me.

The Show might have fared better on another network like the CW network .

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Tolkien RJJ General TV Discussion 19
Vladd67 Firefly 29
REBerg Firefly 2
Toby Frost Firefly 113
Parzival Firefly 0