moral blind spots

FOOD WASTAGE

I hesitated to cite this one. Is this really a moral blind spot now?

I think we can legitimately ask that question about most ideas we can come up with in this topic, because if we're aware of the topic, it's not something we're blind to now.

That said, looking at another post in this thread...

Child-parent incest will be nibbled at by progressive folk

I don't think incest taboos are going to be considered a moral blind spot in the future as a result of changing gender norms or improved birth control. We have stronger incest taboos now than for much of humanity's past in addition to having much more effective birth control. Conclusion: there are reasons besides possible genetic defects for humans not getting it on within family groups.

If anything, I think it's more likely to go the other direction and the future will look at some of the relationships we consider normal now and find them barbaric, much like we're coming to see child marriage. (Which specific relationships? I don't know... it's a blind spot. ; )

HIGHWAY DEATHS

At some point in the future, people might look back with horror on the public acceptance of highway deaths and injuries. Something like 30,000 people die annually in the US due to car crashes, etc. Nobody is bothered by this statistic; in effect, it is something that can be written off as overhead.

That's a good call! Especially after we give in and accept self-driving cars. And I really think this is a when, not if, that will be driven (heheh) by commercial financial interests despite popular moral panic. I imagine future humans will look back and be like "Why would they ever oppose this?"

Last edited: