Ursula K. Le Guin

1. Hugh

Hugh Well-Known Member

The books that truly stand out for me are the Earthsea Trilogy. It’s difficult writing today to find words to describe just how important these books were to myself and people that I knew in the late 70s and 80s. Despite their simplicity they seemed to express deep truths of our inner world, in a way that no other books have for me, before or since. I was particularly taken with the third book with its acceptance of human frailty, much like the ending of Shakespeare’s Tempest. Even now, many years later, as I struggle to reconnect with the experience of that time, I feel these books as friendly oases within myself.

I regret not having attended the book signing in London for Tehanu, the fourth book. I could easily have rearranged commitments. A friend went: when she was in front of Ursula getting her book signed she said “I just want to say thank you”. I thought that was great. I devoured that book and to my bemusement was left shocked and perplexed by it. Maybe ten years later I read it again and wondered what on earth I’d been shocked about: in the intervening years I’d got older and become accepting of the truths that the story embodies.

I do not remember the fifth and sixth so well, and have not looked at them since first reading. I recall “The Other Wind” as a re-visioning of the Earthsea world to accommodate her ever-deepening perspective on Taoism. I will look at them again.

Frustratingly I cannot find my copy of her translation of the Tao Te Ching. In her introduction I’m sure she wrote of how she’d always loved this book, that her father had selected a chapter from it to be read at his funeral, and she was wondering which chapter she’d choose for her own funeral. I’d like to know which one she chose.

A truly great individual who has enriched my world immeasurably.

Jan 24, 2018
  2. Randy M.

Randy M. Well-Known Member

I can understand that. For me, much of what I recall and need to revisit are her short stories. I've found the variety and breadth wonderful and amazing, even though I've read relatively few of the dozens she wrote.

Such a sad day when a such a cultured, knowledgeable, witty voice for rationality is stilled.

Randy M.

Jan 24, 2018
  3. Cathbad

Cathbad Level 30 Geek Master

:cry:

Jan 24, 2018
  4. CTRandall

CTRandall I have my very own plant pot!

Margaret Atwood wrote a wonderful obituary today in the Guardian. Worth a look at.

Jan 24, 2018
  5. Parson

Parson This world is not my home

Agreed. Great Tribute

Jan 24, 2018
  6. The Judge

The Judge Truth. Order. Moderation. Staff Member

Jan 24, 2018
    Stephen Palmer and Abernovo like this.
  7. AlexH

AlexH Well-Known Member

Oh no. :( I remember her thoughts on life and writing more than her stories I've read up to now, and what great thoughts they were. She stood up for what she believed in, was generous with her advice to other writers and not afraid to voice her opinion. We could probably all learn a lot from those traits.

I was upset that the Earthsea film didn't do her justice, though did enjoy the TV series many years ago, which I was thinking of rewatching.

Jan 24, 2018
    Parson likes this.
  8. Vince W

Vince W Well-Known Member

9. biodroid

biodroid Expensive Gadget User

Sad news, I read A Wizard of Earthsea as a set book for school 25 years ago and remember liking it.

Jan 25, 2018
  10. Stephen Palmer

Stephen Palmer author of novels

RIP Ursula Le Guin. A marvellous author, and an inspiring woman for various pro-human issues.
    LOts of excellent coverage online, I was pleased to see.

Jan 27, 2018
  11. BAYLOR

BAYLOR There Are Always new Things to Learn.

I read the fist three Earth Sea novels , wonderful stuff.

She was a great writer. :(

Feb 1, 2018