Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)

Thing is we know Han from so many more movies that such an origin story is unnecessary. At least Anakin had a metamorphosis.

I can’t even recall the big bad’s name.

I thought it was okay - was surprised at how many people “loved it” - but it’s the only Star Wars film I’ve not yet bought.

I do, however, have to take you to task for calling Maul’s cameo irrelevant. But I can forgive as I’m sure you’d not have watched his storyline develop (magnificently) through Clone Wars and Rebels.

Presumably we’ll be seeing more of Maul in the new TV show(s)

Finally, solo gave us ‘Chicken in the Pot’ (the bizarre hip-hop soul track in the club bar) which I’ve been making my kids choreograph to.

:D

pH

I enjoyed it well enough. It wasn’t a great movie, but it was good enough fun. Surprised that Star Wars fans felt to boycott it, though.

I bought the Blu Ray when it came out, but I haven’t had the urge to rewatch it.

Surprised that Star Wars fans felt to boycott it, though.

I daresay those toxic brats aren’t Star Wars fans. I wonder what they hope to achieve... it’s laughable that they boycott or threaten to boycott new Star Wars IPs. How much influence do they think it’ll have.

Personally I’d rather spend my time thinking about why I like the new material from EP1 Onwards instead of focusing on all the things I didn’t.

It’s simple life skills. These people need CBT

:D

pH

Edit. I hate typing on my phone. I have no idea why Dusty’s quote randomly appeared.

Maul in the new TV show(s)

Maul's dead in the timeline The Mandalorian is going to utilising. But if they could give him an own movie that could explain some of the things that he did during the Emperor's reign, it would be great. Although they would have to explain how he was resurrected to the general audience, who hasn't seen the Clone Wars and Rebels. There is that huge hole between The Clone Wars and Rebels we know mostly nothing about what he did.

Space music is always rather odd. "Chicken in the Pot" sounds like French hip-hop, perhaps by Air. Clearly the Mos Eisley trad jazz scene hasn't got going in the setting of Solo. There's probably a good story waiting to happen here.

Personally I’d rather spend my time thinking about why I like the new material from EP1 Onwards instead of focusing on all the things I didn’t.

Word, as they young people say.

Rewatching this, the main problem seems to be that it's far too long. I'm about 2/3 of the way though, and the train heist and the kessel run sequence where Cthulhu shows up could be cut with no real loss at all. If it was a 90 minute film, it would be a really good laugh - but every since thing in Han Solo's past has to be explained for some reason, so we get a load of extra padding. I'm also surprised at how good everyone is in it. While some minor characters feel slightly superfluous, nobody seems bad (at least so far).

I'm still puzzled about freeing the droids, though.

My issue with this was that it was played for laughs with the droid rebellion being particularly stupid. Obviously, rebellion in any form would've been core to Star Wars, but its execution was slapstick and i felt that it cheapened the movie.

It should've been better received in my opinion as it had so many great elements. The designs and special effects were excellent (of course), it had a great cast that acted pretty well. I thought that Alden Ehrenreich's portrayal of a young Han Solo was actually pretty decent and i hope that we get to see him reprise his role as Han Solo in the Lando series.

I struggled with the events in Han's life as they were depicted in this movie and felt that the EU version was much better.

My issue with this was that it was played for laughs with the droid rebellion being particularly stupid. Obviously, rebellion in any form would've been core to Star Wars, but its execution was slapstick and i felt that it cheapened the movie.

It should've been better received in my opinion as it had so many great elements. The designs and special effects were excellent (of course), it had a great cast that acted pretty well. I thought that Alden Ehrenreich's portrayal of a young Han Solo was actually pretty decent and i hope that we get to see him reprise his role as Han Solo in the Lando series.

I struggled with the events in Han's life as they were depicted in this movie and felt that the EU version was much better.

They should have ket it simple , but they muddied it with too many story elements.

I've watched "Solo" twice now, and really enjoy it. But the most cuttable parts are precisely all the little "this is for the fans!" nods to iconic aspects of Han's character that aren't actually that iconic. (Can't say I've /ever/ noticed the shiny dice in the OT films, for instance.) As a Space Western in the "Firefly" mold, it's pretty strong. I also love how the climatic scene is not a grand space battle, but a tense stand-off between a handful of people in a single room. Maybe it was an issue of framing. Marketed as an origin story for Han, "Solo" felt redundant; but as an opener for a series of Young Han movies, it would've been a knockout.

I just watched this again for a second time. I'd completely forgotten that I'd seen ii before. That's how memorable it is. :whistle:

It is painting by numbers - Chewie - Lando - Millennium Falcon - Kessel Run - Rebel Alliance - Darth Maul - but I don't really mind that. It does introduce new info;
Chewy's 190 years old in this movie??
I'd forgot that. And there are great chases and fights. If you are a Star Wars fan but you haven't seen it yet out of spite, just chill and watch it.

Reactions: ctg
I just watched this again for a second time. I'd completely forgotten that I'd seen ii before. That's how memorable it is. :whistle:

It is painting by numbers - Chewie - Lando - Millennium Falcon - Kessel Run - Rebel Alliance - Darth Maul - but I don't really mind that. It does introduce new info;

I'd forgot that. And there are great chases and fights. If you are a Star Wars fan but you haven't seen it yet out of spite, just chill and watch it.

I wish it had spawned a movie series of its own.

Back