Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)

Last I paid attention, they weren't looking like they would make their money back on this one (due to costs of reshoots, marketing, etc.).
Which is a shame, as I enjoyed the film.

I love the fact that Solo starts with a Grand Theft Auto and Has was doing it for wooing his young lady friend. It's kind of interesting that later on, he does less of wooing and more of handling the business in his unique way, by causing chaos wherever he goes and whatever he does.

I'm sorry if I upset some but to me Solo has always been what I wanted Captain Kirk to in the Star Trek. In many ways he is, but unlike Kirk, he doesn't have the stop button and he doesn't always consider the consequences of his actions.

What doesn't make sense is that they showed Stormtroopers and not Clone Warriors during Solo's teenage years, even though the first trilogy (EP 1 - 3) showed the Millenium Falcon at Coruscant and when Luke meets Solo later on he's alerady at least 40 something. Am I wrong to think that Solo should have had the original Millennium Falcon during the Clone Wars and they should have showed that era if not the Old Republic instead of the Emperor's Imperium?

If you look the scene in the New Hope, where Han overhears Old Man Kenobi telling Luke that his father served during the Clone Wars, he looks as if somehow had met the man. I might be completely wrong but that is the impression I have after seeing Episode 4 multiple times.

It wasn't surprise to me that Solo got kicked out from the Imperial Academy, because his attitude would never fit at the Imperial Standard. Later on he learns to deal with the Imperial Navy quite well, but his mouth has always been Han's biggest problem. It is also his biggest delight as I for one love listening his quips.

It is interesting that they showed Imperial Army. who weren't wearing the Storm Trooper outfits. I don't think I have seen the Imperial Troopers before. Just pieces of their armour, worn by the Rebel faction soldiers. But, when you think about it, it makes sense as the Storm Troopers should be the elite fighters and the Imperial Troopers as the main grunts for the Emperor war operations.

They are the kind of people who would have confined a wookie into a mud pit at the warzone. I hated seeing Chewie covered in mud and God knows what else. Yet, from the first striking moment , they were friends. Speaking of which, I would have loved seeing Rio in the original movies as Chewies and Han's sidekick. But as he's another pilot, it's understandable that he wasn't seen in those movies.

If he hadn't got shot by the space pirates, he could have made it back to steal the Falcon from Lando. After he cheated in the card game, it kind of made sense that Solo and Chewie were going to nick it at earliest opportunity. Only I thought they were going to get it from Corellian Shipyards.

I loved seeing more of Falcon's interior, including the cloak room attached the captain's quarters. But I think Solo starts to fail first time at the Kessel mine, where they made the run to overly comedic but not laugh out loud funny. Instead the narrative goes from joke to another without making anything serious in between.

I didn't shed a tear when L3 died, but I was delighted that they used the death as an opportunity for Han to do his first modification the Millennium Falcon. The second made the ship look proper. Although it was in a sad state, when they landed it back on the refinery.

I was surprised that the villain turned out be Maul. Also the ending made clear that Solo always shoots first.

It doesn't make sense that Solo flopped in the box office so much as it's a good, classical adventure.

Just finished watching it and I loved it. One thing that struck me and maybe it has being discussed before but the timelines seemed off to me. It is established in the movie that the Empire is in place yet Darth Maul makes an appearance at the end. He was killed off in the first prequel when the Republic was still the power.

Just finished watching it and I loved it. One thing that struck me and maybe it has being discussed before but the timelines seemed off to me. It is established in the movie that the Empire is in place yet Darth Maul makes an appearance at the end. He was killed off in the first prequel when the Republic was still the power.

You might wanna watch Clone Wars and Rebels... ;)

pH

Reactions: ctg
You might wanna watch Clone Wars and Rebels... ;)

I agree.

At least watch last 3 seasons of the Clone Wars. But the thing is Maul, like Svalbard said, was dead. That is true. But he was also resurrected by Force Magic later on and he was given cybernetic spider legs. That is something that might happen with Snoke in the next episode.

Maul and Old Man Maul are, to me personally, the most intriguing Sith in the SW history. I cannot say that Vader comes even close to the mysteries that are tied to Maul or the species he represent. Unlike many Jedi's and Sith's, he even had a brother, who was able to wield Force Powers and use the light saber as a tool to focus the Force. Outside Skywalker's bloodline, how many families have a two living force users at the same time?

I would claim that it is super rare as Qui-Con Jinn tried to explain in Anakin's mum in the first episode. He said, "It's very rare to find Force Sensitive kids, not talking things Anakin is capable of doing, because he's full of ..."

Thanks for the info. I did a quick Google and read a Vanity Fair article on it. Unfortunately my interest in Star Wars does not go beyond the movies and I think both Rogue One and Solo are the best Star Wars movies since the originals. Rogue One especially.

Thanks for the info. I did a quick Google and read a Vanity Fair article on it. Unfortunately my interest in Star Wars does not go beyond the movies and I think both Rogue One and Solo are the best Star Wars movies since the originals. Rogue One especially.
You sure you're a Star Wars fan? You realize, the Charter clearly states that, in order to be a fan, you must hate and complain about all things Star Wars since the original 3 movies?

:D :p

You sure you're a Star Wars fan? You realize, the Charter clearly states that, in order to be a fan, you must hate and complain about all things Star Wars since the original 3 movies?

:D :p

Like the three wretched prequel films that Lucas directed. :D

I liked Jar Jar, fans were demanding to know the reason some had access to the Force yet others didn't, and those films were great! :D

I liked Jar Jar, fans were demanding to know the reason some had access to the Force yet others didn't, and those films were great! :D
+1

I watch 1&3 more than the OT but I love all SW movies.

pH

The Lucas prequels are badly written, poorly acted brainless, special effects driven monstrosities that don't have so much as a particle of entertainment value. The scripts for theses film should been banished to the nether regions of development hell for all eternity. As for Jar Ja Binks , I would have been happy to see him go screaming down a black hole ! Oh wait , that wouldn't be fair to the black hole. It did nothing to deserve Jar jar Binks.

The Lucas prequels are a badly written, poorly acted brainless, special effects driven monstrosities that don't have so much as particle of entertainment value.
Must (completely) disagree. :p
As for Jar Ja Binks ,r I would have been happy to see him go screaming down a black Hole !
Yet, I bet you were one of the many that complained Jackson left Tom Bombadil out of the LOTR films? :rolleyes::sneaky:

Must (completely) disagree. :p

Yet, I bet you were one of the many that complained Jackson left Tom Bombadil out of the LOTR films? :rolleyes::sneaky:

Lucas should have turned over the writing directing and production assignments to some else. Lucas delivered three ver poor films ,. The film Wing Commander which came out at the sam time as the Th Phantom Menace as flawed as it was was superior to Lucas. film .

No because Tome Bombadil wasn't an essential element to the the LOTR

Jar jar Bink is an annoying and useless character that should have been cut from the the films completely..

Lucas delivered three ver poor films ,.
Again, though you state it as though it was fact,i disagree with your assessment.

Jar jar Bink is an annoying and useless character that should have been cut from the the films completely..
In each of the 3 first films, there was a comedic element.

No because Tome Bombadil wasn't an essential element to the the LOTR
But, you are making my point! (In a way.) It was Jar Jar who set things in motion to put Palpatine in charge!

Again, though you state it as though it was fact,i disagree with your assessment.

In each of the 3 first films, there was a comedic element.

But, you are making my point! (In a way.) It was Jar Jar who set things in motion to put Palpatine in charge!

Lucas's writing sucked, combine that with that he hadn't directed a film since 1977, he had directors rust and it showed in the final products . The reason he story sucked was because there was notably working with him this time around would tell him his writing sucked. In 1977 his for wife helped him in writing and told him what worked and what didn't work, The story had to be good because he couldn't paper over bad story with special effect like the in the prequels. Jump to the 1990 and prequel production there was nobody under him that would dare criticize the great George Lucas .

As for Jar as the comedic element , He's about as funny as root canal without anesthetic and I ve had one of those so I know how painful it it.

As Jar Jar Paving the ways for Palatine, He could done that without the at CGI bungler known as Jar Jar

How can you as a writer look at these films and tell they any good?

Im so glad Disney took Lucas out the decision making on the Star Wars franchise. As for J J Abrahams ., He's far better writer and Director then George Lucas , I think he done great things for the Star Wars Franchise. , I can't wait for the conclusion to the current Trilogy. I liked both Rogue One and Solo too.

Last edited:

Back