Fodder - 1347 words

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luiglin

Getting worse one day at a time
Supporter
As per the slang thread - Slang Dialogue? - in general writing discussion, here's the start of that tale.

I'm aiming it to be a rather short piece, perhaps around 25k.

Hopefully the orcs slang/dialect will not be too problematical.

Cheers folks.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Enough is enough

“Dat’z it. I’z sick of this.” said Dralk from beneath a thick layer of steaming gruel. Sitting up, he grabbed a cloth and began a vigorous rub down. The gruel, an overcooked sludge of mystery meat with the odd accidental root vegetable thrown in, resisted with sticky tenacity.

“Mmmpphhhh,” came a reply from beneath the broken remnants of table.

“Wally, dig out Petal will youz,” ordered Dralk, tossing the cloth away in disgust having only managed to smear the gruel into parts best left undescribed.

“They got thingy,” said Ursul, in her usual gruff throaty tone from the other side of the guard room.

“Who?” asked Dralk.

“Da noob.”

“Which one?”

“Let me check,” said Ursul. Innards hit the floor with a dull splat as a body was turned. While others would have grunted at the effort, no sound came from her. Ursul was well built in all the right places, for a warrior that is, and he crew loved her for it, but never to her face. “Doh know,” she said.

“And da other sod,” said Wally. He was an atypical orc. All mouth, muscles and scars but lumped with very little common sense, even for an orc.

“Other sod?” said Dralk. “

“This arm over here is his. I’z remember da tattoo,” said Wally, tossing the arm off the pile of wood that covered Petal.

Dralk twisted to one side as the bloody limb tumbled hand over stump his way. “Any noobs still breathin’?” called Dralk.

“Yeah,” came a deep and slow voice.

“Big Ed, youz ain’t no noob, nob yeah, but no noob,” said Dralk

“Right,” came the reply. “Forgot, soz.” Big Ed’s body slumped, a complicated motion of stringy muscles and tendons that rippled out in a horrible wave down the goblin’s rangy freakish 6-foot frame, reducing his height by a good foot.

“Noobs?”

Silence.

“Right, so only uz den, as normal. Wally, youz got Petal out?”

“Keep youz ears on,” said Wally, flinging the last few pieces aside. “Der youz go, Petal.”

“Cheers,” said Petal. The shaman, all feathers, bones and other unmentionable bits, shook himself down, held one nostril down and snorted out of the other. Gooey stuff splattered over the floor. “Dat warrior ad it in for me. Did you lot see?”

Nothing unusual there. They’d all tended at some point or another wanted to beat the shaman to a pulp.

“Nah, cause youz pot of gruel hit me instead,” said Dralk.

“I’z saw,” piped up Mogz.

They all looked around.

“Dat fighter ad it in for Petal. Truth,” continued their resident sneak.

They shared a look and a shrug.

“She’s good,” said Wally. “I’z can’t see her.”

“Up ere.”

They looked up. Mogz lay spread-eagled on top of the wooden chandelier. She was the smallest of the crew and the sneakiest. Some of them were convinced she used magic, except for Petal that is but even he tried to keep a close on her just in case.

“How’d you get up there, Mogz?” Petal quizzed, wrinkled eyes narrowed with suspicious curiosity.

“Youz know dat I’z can’t give away sneak secrets. So doh ask, right?”

“Youz finished chuntering? Den get your arse down and see if dem adventurers have gone,” ordered Dralk.

Mogz dropped to the floor, making about as much noise as a mouse doing a tap dance in fluffy slippers and disappeared down the corridor through which the adventurers had gone.

“Rest of youz, huddle up,” called Dralk.

For many orc wodges, the crew boss would have been either the hardest, the best fighter, the strongest, the brains or the sneakiest. Dralk was none of these.

Despite his lanky frame, Big Ed took a lot to knock down. Ursul could beat any of them for sheer strength. Wally could pick up anything and turn it into a deadly weapon. Petal had more brains than any orc should have and Mogz could have been a ghost for all the sound she made.

No, Dralk was the boss for one reason and one reason only. He was lucky. Consider the recent skirmish. Yes, he’d been covered in gruel and yes, he’d slipped over on his backside as a result. Yet, the slip had saved him from becoming a foot shorter as an adventurer’s sword swooped through the space where his neck had been. The fact that the adventurer had snapped his sword whilst repeatedly trying to stab him as he flopped blindly around on his back like some mudfish out of water only reinforced his reputation.

For their part his crew were quite happy to have a lucky leader for the very point that despite repeated attempts to kill them, they were still all here.

Except for the noobs that is. But everyone expected the noobs to die. That was their job.

They gathered round in a circle, heads close together, arms locked over each other’s shoulders.

“Now, I’z not sure what da rest of youz think but I’z fed up with dis rubbish,” began Dralk. “Da pay ain’t worth it.”

“We get paid?” said Petal.

“Yeah,” said Dralk, “I’z looks after your share.”

“Dat’z good,” the shaman replied. “I’z hate to miss out.”

“It ain’t our fault. Dem adventurers are way above our level,” said Wally.

“Not blaming youz,” said Dralk. “I’z can’t think of a betta crew.”

A round of rights greeted this comment.

“Nah, I’z blaming da Agency. Dey’z give uz deze jobs. Dey’z need to get der act together. Too many cushy jobs for doze in da know, youz know?”

A round of knows.

“What youz sayin’? Da Agency hands out all da work. We ain’t got no other choice,” said Ursul.

“Remember dat job last year, da break in and kill all?”

Nods and grins.

“Fun job dat,” added Wally.

“Well, I’z heard some human guards talkin’ about getting away from dere guarding.”

“Dey certainly got away after youz ripped dere heads off,” pointed out Wally with a wicked chuckle.

Dralk responded with a wink. “So I’z thinkin’, we’z could do whut dey said dey’z were going to do and go…” Dralk paused for dramatic effect, “…on holiday.”

“Whut’z a holiday?” said Wally, one finger buried deep in his nose to aid his concentration.

“It’s a place youz go to when youz want to get away from dung-n-stuff.”

“Like da fleshpits?” Said Wally with a lecherous wink knowing wink at Dralk.

“Holiday is meant to have everythin’, so dere betta be fleshpits.”

“Shut youz gob,” said Ursul, poking her head out of the huddle for a quick look see. She ducked back in. “Da Agency wud have our balls if we’z left.”

Wally tittered, saying, “And youz got da biggest out of all of uz eh, Ursul?”

“Youz betta keep youz gob shut, Wally,” came back the warrioress. “Before I’z rip youz off and ram dem down youz throat.”

“Quit it, youz pair,” said Dralk. “It’s been done before. Erik’s crew.”

“Dey’z didn’t last long enough for da Agency to catch up with dem,” said Ursul. “Remember, dey end up giant toe jam.”

Dralk frowned. “Forgot dat. Dey deserved it. Anyway, dat dere fault. Dey picked da wrong route. Never read da map right.”

“Dey couldn’t read, Dralk,” said Petal. “Nor can uz.”

“Not da point,” said Dralk. “We’z just hire uz a clerk.”

“So,” replied Ursul. “We’z hire clerk to read stuff and gets him to pick dis stupid holiday?”

“Nah, he reads da stuff and we’z pick da holiday. Well?”

A round of chewed lips and creased foreheads greeted his question.

“Whut’z da worst dat could happen?”

“We’z all die?” said Ursul.

“We’z just nearly did,” said Dralk, waving his arm around the blood splattered room. “Well, da noobs did. Dere’z bits of dem everywhere.”

“Fair do,” said Ursul. “I’z in.”

“An me,” said Petal.

“Yeah,” said Wally.

They all looked at Big Ed.

“Whut?” said Big Ed.

“Youz in or not, Big Ed?”

“I’z in huddle,” said Big Ed.

“Nah, Big Ed, I’z mean… aw forget it. He’s in,” said Dralk. “Mogz will say yeah. So dat’z decided, we’z going on holiday.”

@Cathbad cheers :)

@J Riff it's an orcs favourite letter of the alphabet, that and the letter 'd' ;)

And don't forget the "K" and the multiple "R"s. I'm a bit of an orcish expert you see :D.

I found it slightly annoying to tell you the truth, but it is readable, and shouldn't get in the way of the experience if it isn't too long a piece.

And don't forget the "K" and the multiple "R"s. I'm a bit of an orcish expert you see :D.

I found it slightly annoying to tell you the truth, but it is readable, and shouldn't get in the way of the experience if it isn't too long a piece.

Lol, I've had 'I don't like' or 'not my cup of tea' before but never a 'slightly annoying' Can you elaborate. Is it anything specific or just a general vibe?

It's a growing feeling as I read. It gets progressively tiring for me. Not enough to justify putting the story down at this length, but Idk, a vibe of diminishing returns as the dialectic novelty wears off I guess? Like Jennifer Lawrence's charm through the years :D:D:devilish:.

@Ihe cheers for the quick response. To be honest the idea behind it doesn't allow for a long story. Plus the dialect is secondary and a result of picking something other than humans.

The idea was to tell a tale about a group of guards who get fed up of doing what they do and wanting a break.

I found it a bit much after a while, but I'm just coming out of flu-lite, so may not be in the most receptive frame of mind.

I didn't have any trouble following it, it has a nicely consistent feel to it, and is not over the top, but it still started to grind me down. If I had just looked at a couple of paragraphs, I would have said yes, fine. Over that length, it got too much. (Bear in mind that my most useful piece of work today was to decided to stop trying to edit because even the flu-lite was messing with my head.)

I can follow it, but I don't feel that the manner of speaking adds very much for me. I’m not a great fan of accents being written phonetically – I suppose it worked okay in 1984 and Neuromancer, where only small bits of slang cropped up in the text* – but my main problem here is that I can’t quite work out how the accent is supposed to sound. Orcs (at least as per Tolkien and Games Workshop) seem to be London thugs without actual cockney slang, but some of the slang here makes me think of New Yoik gangsters (“doze”, “youz”).

Personally, I would be inclined to tone down the accents (so change “doze” to “those”) but use the words used by one particular manner of speaking (so then change “those” to “them”, assuming that we’re going for Old Landan Tarn gangsters). I might also add some made-up words for slang terms: it would seem sensible to go with words for “good/fun/sexy”, “bad/unfair/ugly”, “food”, “drink”, “fight” and whatever else orcs really find important. But that's just my view.

*Although the main patois character in Neuromancer, Maelcum, literally says things like “Maelcum a rude boy”, presumably with a heavy Jamaican accent, whereas the 1984 proles are depicted as mispronouncing words in standard British English, which I think is slightly different and less effective. Anyhow, that's probably a digression.

@Biskit cheers.

@Toby Frost I wasn't particularly aiming for any direct real life dialects. There's a mixture in there including some of my own local Black Country slang. I didn't want to go down the path as many do of having all Dwarves speak Scottish or all Elves sounding like they come from old English landed gentry.

As you say though maybe I need to reduce the number of terms. It's only a first draft and needs editing. Cheers.

I may be weird (okay, okay; I am weird), but I'd read an entire novel written like this - from the perspective of the orcs! I quite enjoyed it.

I may be weird (okay, okay; I am weird), but I'd read an entire novel written like this - from the perspective of the orcs! I quite enjoyed it.

Cheers @Cathbad. I'm only envisaging it being a short piece as there's only so far you can take a fish out of water joke without the idea falling flat.

And I'm also happily weird... real life is too much hassle.

The language immediately made me think of Detritus in the Terry Pratchett books, and I love him and his way of speaking. The thing about Detritus, though, is he doesn't talk at great length (unless he's very cold, in which case the thick-troll voice is lost), and rarely is he in conversation with other trolls, so his voice never outstays its welcome. Here, where all of them talking in the same voice, for me it was too much, and I got tired of it very quickly I'm afraid.

It would make life more difficult for you, but could you split the verbal tics and give each character only one, instead of each of them having everything?

I appreciate you've put it here for the patois element, but for me what might have helped is if you had more narrative in plain English that wasn't just funny description of the orcs. It took me a while to work out what had happened so some narrative would have brought me up to speed sooner, and that in turn might well have made me more forgiving of their speech. In any event, an endless stream of dialogue with nothing much in between, especially when so much of the dialogue isn't actually moving the scene forward, can be a bit tedious, even if characters are talking Queen's English.

It's a neat, fun idea though -- Orcs in Ibiza! Good luck with it!

@The Judge cheers. It definitely needs work with narrative to relieve the dialogue (the further parts I've written already do that).

That's an interesting idea about giving each one their own verbal tick though :)

One of my friends developed a language over time that had great flow to it. it came from an everyday slur and flow.
When in full flow it was far more slung and slang than this excerpt below, but you'll get the idea. He typed using it all the time to communicate with friends.
I think if spoken enough a language develops and yours reminds me of my friend Drydon. When he spoke it for real, mostly when drunk, you could understand it easily. Kinda like it were ment to be.

excerpt by permission:

2nd aint long away so thought we need make a plan...

Lets sort of continue as planned before... afternoon bbq at ours, kids welcome, see where it goes. We gotta little bbq and a campin gaz hob so another mini bbq would be good to be brung.... davey... ! We Wil have charcoal and stuff, chuck up a couple gazebos, make a few side dishes, so if someone could make a chocolatey yummy sort of thang that would be good... wonder who could do that... ... and someone else could do some other sweet sort of thing.

We will get some pimms or somfing summery, few beers and wine and if everyone brings a bitta booze and meat or fish or whotever for bbq-ing then that'd be just dandy...

Thats a start of a plan, look fwd to all additions to plan....

I like what you've done and feel with a little more work you'll have it nailed the language, however, I feel it needs a little( only a little) more context and flare.
This is (just to be sure) only my opinion and it's not worth much.

(y)

@Paul Meccano cheers. It does need work and tweaking to make it flow more smoothly.

That extract of your friend reminds me how my daughter talks to her mates. The result of which makes me feel really old :)

I'm going to perservere with it just because I've got some fun ideas to play around with later on.

And any opinion, good, bad or ugly is always worth it... even @Ihe's 'slightly annoying' which had me chortling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Avid Scifi Fan Critiques 21