Biggest movie Disappointments

BAYLOR

There Are Always new Things to Learn.
Films you went to see with the highest of expectations and came out with disappoint.

A LOT. But, not paying helps. I would actually ask for money back, at least some if it. But, the recent Evil Dead comes to mind. I'd hoped for the wacky intelligent Raimi type-thing, but it stunk.

The X-Men Origins: Wolverine film. Had been waiting since the 90s to see Gambit in live action, was disappointed in the original X-Men films and then super excited when I heard he was appearing in the Wolverine film. When he first appeared on the screen, it was amazing and then... he was gone. I spent the entire rest of the film thinking where the hell is Gambit? He was in it for ten minutes, didn't do the accent, didn't say any of his catchphrases, didn't have the right eyes...

I've never been so disappointed in a film in my life. I ranted as soon as I came out of the cinema.

Wonder Woman.

Not a bad film, but it’s another by the numbers origin story and didn’t deserve the praise given.

Agreed. I've taken a lot of flack from people when I say just this.

In all honesty there have been a lot of disappointing films in the last few years. Lots of great looking films, but very little substance. It would be easier for me to say which films met or exceeded my expectations than the reverse.

Bakshi Lord of the Rings (1978) - no warning of it ending half-through Two Towers.
The Exorcist & Texas Chainsaw Massacre - decent but not horrifying as per huge reputations.
Dune (1984) - far below the flawed novel.
Highlander II - forget SW disappointment, this film utterly destroyed the original.
A Clockwork Orange - read the book years before, film never lived down to its banned rep
Both Dredds - can't get the character or mood of the strip right

Last edited:
The Dark Knight
Batman Begins was one of the best films I'd seen, and I loved Christopher Nolan's other films, particularly The Prestige, Memento and Following. The Dark Knight was receiving rave reviews, and the death of Heath Ledger added even more fervour - the best villain ever and that sort of thing.

So I went to the cinema to see The Dark Knight with huge expectations. I'd loved the darker tone of Batman Begins, but The Dark Knight went too far. I found it boring, drab and depressing, with a lack of soul. I didn't care what happened and was barely entertained. The best think about it probably was Heath Ledger's Joker, which was good.

As a result, I haven't watched The Dark Knight Rises. As for Christopher Nolan's films since - Inception was good, Dunkirk was okay, and I haven't seen Man of Steel. Those earlier films were his finest hour.

At least I've learnt to go to the cinema without any expectations, positive or negative. I ignore reviews until I've seen the film for myself.

My new favourite director I have high hopes for is Duncan Jones.

Another failure was 2046, which had great reviews and looked like a cool sci-fi. It turned out to be a boring overlong romance.

I could list more, but I'll leave it at that. :)

Totally agree on X-Men Origins: Wolverine, but for different reasons (i.e. I was peeved by how badly they handled Gambit, but there were worse crimes).

What, for me, was even worse about that film was that it itself was responsible for my high expectations. The first five or ten minutes of that movie were utterly phenomenal. The way it handled Wolverine and Sabertooth in the war, the montage of time passing as we move toward the bulk of the story, were actually incredible storytelling...

...then it turned right around and curled out a huge fat one right onto the audience's faces.

The Man From Uncle flopping at the box office . had hoped it would do well. :unsure:

Yeah, Warrior Mouse, agreed. Everyone raved about it but it lacked the charm and cleverness of the first one. Another sequel that didn't match the original.