The future of forests

Harpo

Erleichda!
Today's news of a Northern Forest which will stretch across the north of England has got me wondering how many similar projects there are in the world.

Deforestation has always been a part of mankind's progress, of course, but nowadays there seems to be a growing awareness that we (humans and other species) will always need forests. Planting new forests isn't as good as preserving the old ones, of course, but most of the old ones have been gone for centuries now.

What is the future of forests?

Plan to grow new Northern Forest

Joe Loomis

New Writer with Dreams
The life cycle of a forest is fascinating to read about.

I'm sure in European countries with all the history most old growth forests are gone. In certain areas of the USA there still are old growth and it can be amazing to see.

I hope that some day soon we (humanity) will find an equilibrium with nature.

BAYLOR

There Are Always new Things to Learn.
The life cycle of a forest is fascinating to read about.

I'm sure in European countries with all the history most old growth forests are gone. In certain areas of the USA there still are old growth and it can be amazing to see.

I hope that some day soon we (humanity) will find an equilibrium with nature.
The way things are going now, that seems unlikely.

LordOfWizards

Well Known Rememberer
As long as we don't start taking down the Boreal/Taiga forest bands ("Taiga is the world's largest land biome, making up 29% of the world's forest cover. The largest areas are located in Russia and Canada."), anything we add at more southern latitudes won't hurt, but like many areas in science, getting your mind around the sheer size of these forests is not easy. From the first link: "Known in Russia as the Taiga, the boreal forest constitutes one of the largest biomes in the world, covering some 12 million square kilometres."
BOREALFOREST.ORG - Boreal Forests of the World - Introduction

From this article: "11. To date, only 12% of boreal forest is protected around the globe -- and over 30% has already been designated for logging, energy and other development"
30 fascinating facts about the boreal forest

From this link: The taiga stores enormous quantities of carbon, more than the world's temperate and tropical forests combined, much of it in wetlands and peatland. In fact, current estimates place boreal forests as storing twice as much carbon per unit area as tropical forests.
Taiga - Wikipedia

Here is a group that is attempting to re-grow on a major scale: Our Approach | WeForest

Last edited:
For the record, a Russian scientist among others is working on bumping up numbers of certain large herbivores (like Bison and so on), even up to trying to merge Mammoth DNA with Elephant DNA to produce Mammoth clones.

The reason being, they have determined that 'forestation' due to lack of large herbivores, is causing areas of permafrost to thaw. That naturally results in massive methane/CO2 releases, making greenhouse emissions by man virtually inconsequential in comparison. The plan being that these large animals will keep forests down in those areas, keeping them tundra/field environments which freeze deeper than forested areas.

There is a VICE News video regarding that research if interested.

K2