Rewatching: Battlestar Galactica reboot

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Currently rewatching the Battlestar Galactica reboot with the family. While my wife and I are very much enjoying it - love the realism! - the kids are finding it a struggle to get into. Partly because there are a lot of characters, but also because there's no humour in it. The story also moves much slower than I remembered - I keep expecting it to go up a gear, but it hasn't so far.

Even still, we've watched the first half of the mini-series and we'll be putting on the second tonight - I'd like the kids to enjoy it, but if not we'll have to leave the rest of the series for the time being.

crystal haven

It's darker than the original, and more adult. I enjoyed it, but it's not light humour.

Narkalui

Nerf Herder
I told my brother this (he still hasn’t seen it): you need to get up to Kobol before it really starts to ramp up

Mouse

ejtett.weebly.com
... a struggle to get into. Partly because there are a lot of characters, but also because there's no humour in it.
And this is exactly why I gave up on it. Far too many characters, many of them very similar looking to the point that I didn't know who was who or what was going on.

I keep planning on trying to get back into it, because @Phyrebrat says it's awesome, but I've not felt any real desire to try again yet.

BAYLOR

There Are Always new Things to Learn.
Vastly superior to the original and one of the best since fiction shows of all time. :cool:

farntfar

She turned me into a newt.
How old are the kiddiwinks?
I think this is important with this version.
It's not until you've done fairly clear goodies vs baddies conflicts for a while that you can cope with asking were the Cylons perhaps the aggrieved party after all.

Later on it becomes what makes the series interesting, but too early and it's just confusing.

(Then again, maybe kids grow up faster these days.)

lynnfredricks

I am rewatching it as well. You can really tell there was a huge amount of effort put into making it a series long arc. I never felt as if they'd jumped the shark or lost their way like so many other shows.

svalbard

Supporter
One of the best sci-fi series ever made apart from the ending. There were some stellar performances in the series with Edward James Olmos brilliant as Adama and I loved the rebooted Colonel Ty and Starbuck.

The mutiny episodes were some of the best TV I have watched.

Shorewalker

Superb series. It has something for everybody. I love the fact that what it was in the beginning was not what it was in the end. Things really did get turned on their head and none of it was done for sensationalism.

BAYLOR

There Are Always new Things to Learn.
Superb series. It has something for everybody. I love the fact that what it was in the beginning was not what it was in the end. Things really did get turned on their head and none of it was done for sensationalism.
On of the best tv shows of all time. (y)

Lumens

science fiction and everything inbetween
Supporter
On of the best tv shows of all time. (y)
I must say I agree with this wholeheartedly. It's also nice that it is a full, self contained series. Well worth watching.

Werthead

Lemming of Discord
There is some humour in the show, most notably in Tigh Me Up, Tigh Me Down, which is the only outright comedy episode they ever did. Baltar also has some fantastic lines. But yeah, it's not a light comedy show.

Neo-BSG was outright fantastic from the mini-series right through to the end of the New Caprica arc (Season 3, Episode 4), although even that was a bit questionable since they were doing an Iraq War metaphor but couldn't settle on a message (suicide bombings in defence of someone's value of liberty are justified?). But still, the story and action was impressive. But then after that they didn't know what the hell to do, pulled some really weird things out of their behinds, and if they didn't jump the shark, there were suspended above it for most of the rest of the series. There were still excellent episodes - the mutiny two-parter in Season 4 (despite destroying Tom Zarek's character, to the actor's palpable fury) and the discovery of "Earth" in Revelations and the horrific reaction to it in Sometimes a Great Notion - but there were a lot of really terrible episodes in late Season 3 and through most of Season 4.

The ending is utterly shambolic, mixing impressive action with a really weird Luddite message, an ending that doesn't make sense (because Ron Moore couldn't be bothered to look up what "mitochondrial" actually meant) and made a mockery of a lot of the show's themes. And we won't even mention The Plan.

What Battlestar Galactica did was confirm that when making this kind of long-form epic, you need an outline and plan like Babylon 5 did. You don't have to stick to the plan if a better idea comes along, but you do need some kind of structure in mind. With BSG they had a year-long gap between filming the mini-series and Season 1, during which time they came up with the structure and plan for Season 1. Then as they were filming Season 1, Moore hit on the idea of doing the Pegasus arc. Then that took them through to the election, Baltar winning and New Caprica, which all emerged during the early part of the series. But when they got to New Caprica they ran out of ideas. They weren't helped by the studio mandating less serialisation, but even so they could have overcome that. Instead they spent fully half of Season 3 running around in circles with an appalling love quadrangle of doom, Baltar just hanging around on a disco basestar and other questionable, generic SF storylines rather than focusing on the political intrigue and questions of survival that they'd started out with. Then Moore decided to put "All Along the Watchtower" in the show because he liked the song and he'd been thwarted from doing it on his previous project, Roswell, which is not a reason to do anything.

BSG was a good show but it really lost its way later on, which is a shame. If it had sustained that quality level from the first 37-odd episodes right through, it'd be the best SF TV show of all time.