Emily May's Goodreads reviews

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
I very much enjoy Emily May's reviews on Goodreads when I see them - she always seems to give a very balanced approach that's not afraid to be critical.

However, I thought some of our members might find her reading recommendations for 2017 interesting - certainly it's made me look twice at a few of titles and I'll probably get a couple because of it.

What's especially good is that she reads quite widely, so there's a lot she picks up that I'd easily miss:

Emily May (The United Kingdom)’s review of 2017 on Goodreads

I follow her reviews as they do always seem well-balanced but sadly many of her preferred genres do not really interest me too much. She's very into YA stuff which I'm not, thrillers with a definite romantic bias also leave me a little cold. However whenever she praises an SF book I generally take note and have read some of her recommendations and rarely been disappointed. I think I've even mentioned her on Chrons threads once or twice.

As an aside, if you watch any of her review videos she has an interesting mixed accent of Northern England and American. :)

I found out about the book Pachinko by Min Lee Jin through her GR reviews. That accalimed historical book, its topic, themes interest me. I will trust her reviews, taste if that book is as good as it sounds. Like i do with all my fav GR friends.

She does know good comics writer though since she recommend Saga by the always good writer Brian K Vaughan.

I tried looking out for Megan Whalen Turner's Thief series based on Emily May's recommendation, but apparently there's a problem with the ebook rights for the UK, so there's nothing available on that front for the moment.

I thought she was a fake profile/conglomerate for a while because I didn't see how anyone could have the time to read/review as much as she does. She's got pretty good taste, and her reviews are always fair and thoughtful.

However, I thought some of our members might find her reading recommendations for 2017 interesting - certainly it's made me look twice at a few of titles and I'll probably get a couple because of it.
OMG - possibly the most hilarious thing I've read all year:)
And definitely getting The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue - it sounds brilliant.

I thought she was a fake profile/conglomerate for a while because I didn't see how anyone could have the time to read/review as much as she does.
Yeah, I thought the same thing, then last week I found out a friend of mine does something very similar with reading.
I read half the compact OED last week in one day - I won't remember hardly any of the words BUT I did pick up a couple of new words for my vocabularly. I found it useful because I often get similar spelled or similar sounding words confused, and correcting even one of those is a big deal for me.

The difference between senses of the word orthogonal, for example, is pretty huge. And, weirdly, we have the Supreme Court to thank for the one I like:cool: