January 2018: Reading thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right now I am nearly through The Last Move by Mary Burton. Enjoying a nice police procedural book. Not so much the first story in Lest Darkness Fall, the "title track" is slowly descending into utter unbelievability. I am going to have to really buck up to read much more of this.

Currently reading The League Of Regrettable Superheroes. It's a history of all those heroes that are more or less forgotten nowadays. Mind you, with names like Captain Tootsie, The Eye (actually a disembodied, floating eye), Fatman (I kid you not), Pat Parker: War Nurse, The Bouncer (he bounces) and Doctor Hormone, I'm not surprised.

An interesting and amusing potted history:)

I’m now giving Foreigner a read, the first in C J Cherryh’s long SF series of the same name. Really enjoying it so far (about 80 pp into it).

This is a massive series, and with Cherryh you know it's going to be complex and nuanced. However, somewhere about book 3 or 4 (read too far back to be sure) the tension ratchets down and they become simply solid reads rather than the epic SF that Foreigner is. I keep thinking that I need to return to the series, I'm about 10 books in, but the price keeps me away.

Very much enjoying Promise of Blood, but surprised by the grittiness of it. It certainly shows the brutality of war, even in a revolution. And also the danger of powerful magic being unleashed.

W is for Wasted is proving a slow read, and I keep wanting to cut the text down - do we really need two pages to describe a walk to the bank where nothing happens? Even still, there's a relaxed if overly chatty manner that's easy to read (and skip, when necessary!) and there are clearly references to previous plots from previous books. The mystery itself is interesting enough and personal. I doubt I'll read more of this series, though.

Finished Never Had It So Good, Dominic Sandbrook's account of Britain 1956-1963. Very interesting and well-written, but sometimes a bit of slog.

Started Born to Run, by Bruce Springsteen, which I dipped into without great expectations but which has proved really good so far, even though I've never listened to much of his music.

As far as SFF goes, also started Philip Reeve's Fever Crumb. I've never been that tempted by his Mortal Engines series, because the idea of cities on wheels always strikes me as just too incredible, but I was interested to come across this prequel series set before London becomes mobile. It's very pacey and written with a wry sense of humour, especially in its future terminology -- one London pub is "The Mott and Hoople", for example, and the M25 has become the defensive "Orbital Moatway". Very promising so far.

I have just started Last Summer (1968) by Evan Hunter, reputed to be a dark and disturbing novel about teenagers, which I will follow by reading the sequel Come Winter (1973). There was a film made of Last Summer in 1969 which had to be edited to avoid an X rating.

Seconder on the Springsteen book, very good.
I have a massive music book collection and will read anything music related, a surprise read for me this month has been the Bruce Dickinson autobiography a superb read from the singer in a band I’ve never really got ( having been brought up on the holy trinity - Zepp/Sabbs/Purple! )
Much more than gigging tall tales...

I’m now giving Foreigner a read, the first in C J Cherryh’s long SF series of the same name. Really enjoying it so far (about 80 pp into it).
I've had this on my list for a while now but one of my problems is I can't find it in ebook format :(

Reading A Peace Divided by Tanya Huff, which continues the adventures of Torin Kerr. Not as good as the earlier Torin books as the pace is a bit slow but still worth a read.

I finished KOP last night, which I liked a lot, next up is We Are Legion (We Are Bob) - Dennis E Taylor, which is my first free book of a Kindle Unlimited trial.

I like free stuff, but I do like to keep books where I can read them again, so I doubt very much I'll be signing up when it ends, and I'll almost certainly have to buy any of the books I enjoy.

I really enjoyed We Are Legion, but trawling through Kindle Unlimited for anything remotely interesting (I did find 10 my first day, but very little since) means I'm abandoning it soon (unless anyone's aware of some really good stuff lurking in there).

Next up . . . I haven't really made up my mind, but it's likely to be one of:

Autonomous - Annalee Newitz, Dragon's Egg - Robert L Forward, or most likely, a re-read of the first two Binti stories ahead of the third's release on Thursday.

I really enjoyed We Are Legion, but trawling through Kindle Unlimited for anything remotely interesting (I did find 10 my first day, but very little since) means I'm abandoning it soon (unless anyone's aware of some really good stuff lurking in there).

Next up . . . I haven't really made up my mind, but it's likely to be one of:

Autonomous - Annalee Newitz, Dragon's Egg - Robert L Forward, or most likely, a re-read of the first two Binti stories ahead of the third's release on Thursday.
I'm not sure how many of the Chronners are on KU (I (I bounce in and out) but Bryan Wigmore, Brian G Turner, Martin Owton, Woodbridge press, Nick Bailey's Liberator might all be worth a look at. Ralph Kern too.

Just finished Calamity by Brandon Sanderson. Now on to Robin Hobb's Royal Assassin.

Decided this year to get back into reading more by reading less of what I feel I should read and more of what I really want to. Time to get back to my fantasy loving roots.

I am reading To the Mother's of the Movement With Love by Diane Liuzzi Hogan. This book has a great point to make and deserves a read. As a work of literature it's not great, but I still am liking it. I'll check back later when I'm done with it. For my S.F. reading I've just purchased book 14 in the Eli Donsaii series, Bioterror! these are really fun quick reads. @Paul_C .... the first couple in this series Quicker, and Smarter are on KU, neither will be considered timeless fiction, but I think both worth the read. The best quote I've heard about this series comes from this forum where it was said, they are like popcorn, you just can't quite stop reading them.

Just finished Calamity by Brandon Sanderson

Decided this year to get back into reading more by reading less of what I feel I should read and more of what I really want to. Time to get back to my fantasy loving roots.
How did you find the series ending? was it a calamity or did it do justice? I've heard terrible things from people in cellar's; speaking, unseen, afraid to show their faces. You know, the reviewers.

SLIGHT SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO HAVENT READ CALAMITY

I found the ending a little lacking in places, not many moments to catch my breath and take stock of it all, but ultimately I was satisfied with the send off for the characters. I’d like to see more of the world, though the third book is the weakest in the trilogy. Still worth a read.

Still worth a read.

If I were to balance out the reviews I've seen, homogenise them, then tag a header to the remaining review. It would probably read as "still worth a read".
To invest in two books for a mediocre finale is a fear now instilled through Dan Simmons Hyperion. I'm not sure I dare go for it.
Cheers tho SPoots, I believe I can trust you and your honest review.
:)

Finished Philip Reeve's Fever Crumb. Pacey and often funny, though tiredness had me skimming some paragraphs. Still 4/5, but probably would have been less if I hadn't been familiar with London. Now moving on to the sequel, A web of Air. That isn't set in London, so we'll see if that holds true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back