Discussion -- January 2018 -- 75 Word Challenge

Teresa Edgerton

Goblin Princess
Staff member
Supporter
And here is the discussion thread for the new challenge.

Theme:

Road trip or journey

Genre:

Apocalyptic or Post-Apocalyptic (SF, fantasy or horror)

you had me at post-apocalyptic. good choice @Peter V

a good break in Spain has got me in the frame of mind for writin' after the move from Guernsey to NZ (yeah yeah I know and then back to Spain for Christmas - our 2 year old wanted more jetlag).

now that Perp is sorted I can concentrate the 75 and 300.

Right mine's up. Actually had two ideas for this one but went with the second because it was fun. Might post the second one here at some point just so it's out there, unless there's somewhere else it should go.

Might post the second one here at some point just so it's out there, unless there's somewhere else it should go.

If I remember correctly here is fine, but only after the voting.

---------

Sigh! Apocalyptic or Post-Apocalyptic, certainly forms I usually do not like to read. But I really did appreciate "The Hunger Games."

@TitaniumTi .... How to write an apocalypse in 75 words .... A story that cuts apocalyptic literature to it bare essentials.

@Ashleyne .... Outrun the Sun .... A story that makes you want to find shade and a cool ocean breeze.

@Victoria Silverwolf .... The Last Film in the Series ....
A story that gives us the essentials of how to tell when a series has finally ended in plotless morass.

@SPoots .... The Four Horsemen .... A story where everyone lives up to their name.

(Parson shakes his head and bemusement. Gives us a theme like joy and we go all morbid and black. Give us a morbid theme and the humor comes out. Can someone explain this?)

Got mine finished. Unfortunately it's 131 words long.
Hard choices ahead!
Don't know what happened, all finished in a word doc and now I can't find it anywhere!
One more big search and I'll give in and start over (didn't like my protagonist anyway)

Sigh! Apocalyptic or Post-Apocalyptic, certainly forms I usually do not like to read. But I really did appreciate "The Hunger Games."

Unfortunately, judging from the lack of entries, I think I may have picked an unpopular genre :oops:

From another thread:
Maybe we all need to get better when we recognize an allusion, and remember to mention it to the writer of the story, so they will know that it was noticed and appreciated.

In that spirit, @Victoria Silverwolf, I believe that The Last Film in the Series contains an allusion to the Bob Hope and Bing Crosby road movies. Well played.

Unfortunately, judging from the lack of entries, I think I may have picked an unpopular genre :oops:

No, it's very good, Peter V! Two things - the 300 worder photo was presented the evening before January 1st, and I wouldn't be surprised if some people were concentrating on that for a spell, before considering the 75 worder. Also, for me at least, when the genre is like a sub-genre within a larger one (Post-Apocalyptic, for example, could fall under the SF banner), and when I haven't read a lot within that sub-genre, it takes me awhile to try to collate my impressions of what it all means, before I really get down to things. In other words, I have to think a bit more, which is always a good thing. (And as others have mentioned, there are the holidays to consider.)

I wrote my story yesterday, and just need my better half to see if it makes any sense, so I hope to post tonight. :) But I like your genre/theme choices, CC

I suspect you're wrong about this as well. Besides it being vacation time the Perp Challenge is ongoing as well. The time to count entries is at the end not at the beginning as this novice review writer can attest.

Back