January 2018 -- 75 word challenge -- VICTORY TO SPOOTS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
They Came in Peace

Five years since the visitors came, the world leaders laid out the red carpet, welcomed them with open arms.

My father never trusted them, he gathered anyone who would listen, food, water, weapons and other essential supplies, nothing electric. We retreated into the mountain caves.

News reached us, the lights had gone out, people dying in their thousands.

Our supplies are running low, it's time for us to venture out and reclaim our world.

Last edited:
Shelter

They laughed when I told them about preparing this sub-basement. They were always laughing at me. They said even if I survived some kind of crisis down here, I’d be insane once my years of supplies were exhausted.

But I’m perfectly sane. I am.

Now that the fallout is receding, we’ll see who’s laughing when I take to the road to collect their bones for my museum. Who’s crazy now?

Proverbs.

I watched incredulous as the approaching death beams separated;
to converge again.
But I had been missed.
Six months later I dared leave to search for other survivors,
"stealing" supplies from a deserted land, until at last I saw

A light!

He greeted me, gravely.
"You alone were spared, to bear witness to my wrath.
On Etar we had a saying.
An ocular appendage for an ocular appendage!
A planetary population for a planetary population."

Last edited:
T.S. Elliot Was Wrong

Pastor John cried as he led worship. The world was ending with neither bang, nor whimper, but with a massive alien EMP. The Four Horsemen were loose. Fighting, hunger, and disease were everywhere. This was the prophesied Apocalypse. Even his best sermon wouldn’t help. So, he led the congregation in prayer: “Come Lord Jesus; save us.”

-------

Everywhere there was a trumpet sound and great lights. Humanity was gathered home. The aliens were left behind.

Drowned World

Take me to Nok; I’m dreaming of Nok. Let dead Trade Winds push me onwards to Nok.
My raft’s not as seaworthy as I’d hoped. The charm of your spell is carved into the hull, sweet daughter; your talisman carries me ever on.
The flooded world turns with unbiased resistance. I know that my faith and the fruits of persistance will beach me on Nok’s hallowed legend’ry shores.
My dead daughter’s magic delivering me evermore.

Road Trip

My journey to refill the cement mixer ended with an unsatisfying thud as I fell into yet another damned pot hole, coating my overalls in filth.

‘Stupid, f—’

‘Now, now, Number 72, no swearing. You know the rules…’ The Line inspector tapped his clipboard for emphasis. ‘Miss Jolly isn’t fond of harsh language.’

‘I was going to say fudging, sir.’

‘Of course, you were… Well, do hurry up. The civilised world won’t rebuild itself!’

3000 Miles to the Ultimate Music Store

"What's good luck? ZOMBIE DUCK!"

"Enough!"

"Come'on man. It's our only CD. There's no radio stations. We're Earth's only survivors. Wait. Look!"

"The music store. The last CD shop in the country."

"Ram the car into those metal doors."

"OK."

(SKREEEEECH! Vroom! CRASH! KABOOM!!!)

#

"You've destroyed the store. At least we still have...."

"Don't, say it. Ever, again. If you do..."

"...I.."

"Choose, your words, carefully..."

"...........One....last time?"

"What?"

"Play, Zombie Duck."

"AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!"

Occidere nuntius

May’s family fled the blazing city: down a hundred miles of burning asphalt, past sights unspeakable.

Just five days since the winged aliens arrived. Government, religion, nobody agreed what to make of the angel/demons. Society collapsed. Humanity turned savage.

A dazzling figure landed in the road ahead. Brakes screeched, tires squealed.

“What do you want of us?” May shouted.

“We come in peace.”

A pause. Then she revved the engine and ran it over.

Alone

The apocalypse, it turns out, is an introverts dream. I mean sure, it was sad, lots of people died but does that mean we can’t still look for beauty in this world? It wasn’t machines, or aliens or anything like that. It was the flu. So the world remained with just…fewer humans.

Today I left the camp to wander through wild grassland and ivy encased buildings. I didn’t see anyone else all day.

Bliss.

Last edited:
Life

Morning: the road stretches before me, to the horizon. The world seems bigger than me, colourful and alive.

Midday: At my peak, striding vigorously, ignoring the sun. So, what if the world is crumbling? Burned out cars, collapsing buildings. Not my problem.

Night: I stumble through grey snow and ash. The bitter air burns my lungs, infirm and weak.

The road stretches behind me now… and ahead.

I stumble. Fall. Retching and wretched

Journeys end.

Spring

Not far now. Daddy kept this bike ready all the years he was in the bunker, and he taught me how to repair a puncture. He’s too tired and sick now to travel, so he let’s me though I’m only ten. It’s easy on these long empty roads. Two days to the radio repeater station, two days back. it’s all greener than the last time I did this, a year ago. There are butterflies!

Flea

Beneath his feet, the flea felt the rat’s muscles tremble as it struggled to hold on to the rope that stretched from the pier to the ship.

Just a little further, the flea urged his steed. You can make it!

The flea glanced at the ship, at the humans gathered there, and a drop of spittle, laced with a million motes of death, glistened on its lips.

Soon, we will both feed.

Homeward

Each breath was acid. But he'd made it. Home.

The door hadn't escaped the ravages and radiation burns, nothing had, not even his mind.
Only seeing them kept him moving.

But, inside, the walls were eggshell, cushions clean, air of older days.

He sat, blood aflame in his veins. Listened for pattering feet, sweet whispers.

But could only watch the paint crack, radiation seep in, and the bones of a beautiful family crumble to dust.

At Journey's End, Journey's Beginning

Massive fireballs rained down, obliterating the countryside where Cassandra drove. After three days driving, she found the maelstrom's core.

A man levitated, radiating power, eyes unblinking. She approached.

"Ronald," she said, "our child is gone, love, but all isn't lost."

She took his glowing hand. His powers cooled and eyes blinked. He sensed new life growing inside her. Finally, his rage became pained, joyous sobs.

She came bearing love and hope; their little Hope.

Plan B
With his two daughters in tow Bartholomew fled the burning inferno that was once America.
Flying blind for ten hours he was finally able to land in a lush green valley.
A woman with two small boys greeted them. "Welcome to our little Eden, I'm Eve." "We are all alone here, please stay," she begged.
"We get lonesome sometimes."
"We live in harmony with all the wild creatures," she said.
"Except for that snake!"

The Last Vagabond

“I can't let you go again, Shirley.”

Fear flickered in her eyes. “Why?”

Hassan glanced away. “It's the new law. No unattached females. Married or in a hostel.”

Hostel. Indentured servitude. “Hassan, we're friends. Help me.”

The policeman hesitated. “You can marry me.”

Marry you? You have three wives. I'm White. They would despise me.”

“It's better than a hostel.” And he drove away.

She stared around her, then began walking after him towards London.

Last edited:
Mirror Signal Manoeuvre

“Whenever you're ready.”

My foot slams the accelerator. The car screams down the track, dust flying.

“Irradiated monster!”

I swerve - thud! Smear of glowing blood down the windscreen.

“Raiders!”

I press a button - fwoosh! A gout of flame envelopes them.

“Supplies!”

Kicking open the door, I lean out and snatch the bag. Hitting the brakes, the car slides to a halt. I turn apprehensively to my passenger.

“Congratulations, you passed your test!”

The Checklist
"OK, I think that's everything," said Jason to his father, Peter.
Peter looked at the truck, and asked, "Radiation pills?"
"Check."
"Solar charger?"
"Check."
"Ammo?"
"Check."
"Water quality kit?"
"In the green bag."
"Shortwave radio?"
"Check"
"Pemmican?"
"Check."
"Salt sprayer for the giant slugs?"
"Reloaded it today."
"Clean underwear?"
"Ye...crap."
"Son! How many times did your mother say 'always bring clean underwear!? If we get caught by slave lords, they won't have any!'"

A Spoonful of Sugar

“Take your rad pills, Jena,” said Papa, like always.

I hefted the vile tablets, grimacing. “You first.”

He laughed, making a show of swallowing his own. “Not far now.”

---

“Take your rad pills, Jena,” Papa rasped, blood bubbling on his rad-cracked lips.

“You first,” I breathed, trying to hold back tears.

He laughed. “Never took em. Saved em for you.”

Papa pointed limply toward the horizon. Haven’s silhouette loomed tantalisingly close.

“Not far now.”

Homeward Bound

Must get home... reach my family... before the end. Tell them I love them, hold them one final time. Yet comprehending it's too late; dust-clouds roiling up around my ankles, incinerating flames close behind. Collapsing to the ground, overcome by the heat, knowing in my final moments that I've failed.

Darkness...

...into light...

Dust settled, flames abated. Eyes flicker open, straight into the faces of my beloved family; and realising I'm home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back