DISCUSSION -- January 2018 300 Word Writing Challenge (#28)

Congratulations, Perp!! A great story, well done!

And I've got a gorgeous vote, which has got me dancing around the kitchen! Many happiness-story thanks, SPoots!

For my story, I happened to be thinking about the picture while walking during a heavy frost. And I wanted to try and do something creepy involving a yuki onna/ snow maiden character. Originally they were just going to be the monster but I thought a curse that meant you couldn’t have comfort, no matter how much you craved it, would be a more subtly creepy way to go. The problem is I had backstory in my head but that’s the only place it was.

Well, after slow start, I ended up with 5 votes. :)

Short lists: Teresa, TJ and UM.

Votes: Peter V, Perp, Crystal Haven, Phyrebrat and Jo.

Teresa, TJ, UM, Peter V, Perp, Crystal Haven, Phyrebrat and Jo: some top quality there. Many thanks. :)

An unusual month for me. I usually end up with many more short lists / mentions than votes. Strange. Perhaps I'll put my story up in the 'improving' thread for comment.

Congrats Perp, well-earned - I knew it would be on my shortlist the moment I finished reading it.

Apologies for the ninja-voting this month but I simply didn't have time to write up a shortlist. Thank you for all the lovely votes - I really enjoyed doing something a bit different for a change so it was great to see people enjoyed reading it too.

I've been meaning to post here for a few days, but as always time seems to be slipping away. So, instead of the comprehensive responses to the congratulations, I'll do a blanket thank you. All of the messages are appreciated, but a few I found really touching, and that made it all the more special. Thank you.

The idea for my story was fairly simple. On a quick glance, on a small screen the picture looked a bit like a small animal on a twig. Obviously I realised it was nothing of the sort, but it left the impression of something crumbling away.

From there I worked backwards!

LittleStar, Apello & Mad Alice.

I hope you can forgive me - last time I looked I had no votes and also as you’re all stealthy I didn’t realise. Thank you for the votes. I’d really thought I’d wiped out this month but your votes saved moi.

The idea for my story was fairly simple. On a quick glance, on a small screen the picture looked a bit like a small animal on a twig. Obviously I realised it was nothing of the sort, but it left the impression of something crumbling away.

There you go; so often we (er, me) complicate things unnecessarily instead of listening to that stimulus voice. The simple premises are often the most effective. Certainly in flash fiction. Perfect rendering there, Perp.

I wasn’t really going for an ABC this time. I just had this strong sense of an old, aged community living on an isle near the mainland. It came to me with names and voices so I went with it.

pH

I'm resurrecting this old thread because the story I wrote for this Challenge I later expanded, and it formed the first episode of this year's serial on Glitch's Kraxon magazine, the serial as a whole being slightly and subtly renamed as The Slave Girl and the Storyteller.

If anyone who was kind enough to mention/shortlist or vote for my story -- or even if you didn't! -- wants to know how it turned out, head on over to the Kraxon site where all 12 episodes are now up Kraxon

And while I'm here, thanks to @TitaniumTi for her lovely image, without which I'd never have written the story.