DISCUSSION -- January 2018 300 Word Writing Challenge (#28)

Hooray! Thank you.And @Perpetual Man x And @chrispenycate for a stealth vote. I seen you.
Actually, it wasn't intended to be stealth. Having built my short(ish) list, which consisted of :- Appello, Calliopenjo, Cathbad, Cory Swanson, farntfar, HoopyFrood, Jo Zebedee, Perpetual Man, Peter V, Teresa Edgerton and Victoria Silverwolf, I voted - and my computer decided unilaterally that was enough for the evening. But the vote had registered (Cory Swanson, Jo Zebedee and Victoria Silverwolf) so I waited to advance.

And thanks to Starbeast, johnnyjet and Vaz for the mentions.

Thank you so much for the lovely shortlistings and frankly unexpected votes. I'm still scrambling to find the time to read all the entries and collate my thoughts. I'm _fairly_ sure I'll get it done in time...

Thank you to Victoria Silverwolf, Dan Jones and Perpetual Man for the votes. Thank you to StarBeast, Peter V, Johnnyjet and Vaz for the mentions. You’ve all brightened a rather glum month.

Now to unstealth myself. I voted some time ago, and Perpetual Man, Warren Kramer and Apello were my picks (in no particular order). Suzanne Jackson and Chrispenycate were so very close. I enjoyed all the stories, and it would be hard to find any that didn’t belong on my long list. I got out of bed early and ventured into the frosty dawn to take that photo. The pleasure I’ve derived from the stories makes that worthwhile.

Great stories everyone.
My favourites include CTRandall, Dannymcg, Cory Swanson and Cat's Cradle (really Cat's? :))
But my votes went to Luiglin, The Judge and Perpetual Man.

Thanks very much to JohnnyJet and Chrispy for the mentions and especially to Mosaix for a vote.

It's been very difficult to vote because the stories were so good. Well done everyone.

Here is my shortlist, and votes:
Warren Kramer – Visitors
SPoots – Frozen Flowers
Mosaix - Sooner Than Later
Farntfar - The unbearable persistence of memory
Victoria Silverwolf - The Menagerie
HoopyFrood - Harvest Time
Chrispenycate – Weed
CTRandall – Empire
Appello - Plain Old Cotton
Perpetual Man – Plagued
Peter V - When the Siren Sings
Teresa Edgerton - The Sea Witch
Ursa major – Licked?

Votes:
Mosaix – Sooner Than Later
Chrispenycate – weed.
CTRandall – Empire

Thank you, Victoria, and Cathbad for the reviews. I always enjoy reading them. :)

And thank you, Peter V and TitaniumTi for the shortlisting. And I have a stealth vote! Thank you, HoopyFrood! I did wonder if I wouldn’t get a vote this time. It was lovely to receive it. :)

Here are my lists, long, short, and votes.

mosaix
Cathbad
chrispenycate
Phyrebrat
Peter V
Ursa major
johnnyjet
Appello
Perpetual Man
The Judge

Cory Swanson
Dan Jones

Suzanne Jackson (aka crystal haven)

___

And a reminder to everyone who hasn't voted yet that there is only a little over a day until the voting closes.

Really good stories this month! (But the stories are always very good; at some point I'll stop commenting on that.;))

In a hurry now, but I do have my lists ready to go.

Honorables:
Warren Kramer, EPT Henry, Starbeast, Cory Swanson, Dan Jones, Perpetual Man, Shyrka, Teresa Edgerton, The Judge

Votes:
farntfar, HoopyFrood, jackwinabox57

Thanks so much for the listing, Starbeast! And thanks too to Calliopenjo, and Shyrka for the votes. Finally - sorry farntfar! ;)

Eek. Just got back from an appointment and was settling down to do nothing much with what's left of the evening, and realised it was the 15th and I hadn't voted yet. So a quick scribble of a shortlist here, but it's another long one, and some good stories only just missed being on it:

crystal haven -- Rattled
Hoopy Frood -- Harvest Time
mosaix -- Sooner Than Later
Perpetual Man -- Plagued
Peter V -- When the Siren Sings
Shyrka -- The Princess and the Feather
SPoots -- Frozen Flower
Teresa Edgerton -- The Sea Witch
TitaniumTi -- Nine Parts of the Law
Vaz -- The Trees that Speak of Sorrow
Victoria Silverwolf -- Menagerie
Warren Kramer -- Visitors

I'm a sucker for fairy tales, so my first two votes were easily placed with Shyrka's lovely tale and Teresa's story of revenge. The third was more difficult, with Peter, Vaz and Warren all fighting it out with Hoopy, who in the end won through with her tale of terror in the wheat.

A special mention to Titanium for her title which appealed to the lawyer in me!

Lots of charms-and-pierced stone thanks for the mentions/shortlistings Peter, johnnyjet, Perp, Teresa and CC, and mega spearfuls of talisman-and-bright-cloth thanks for the stupendous votes Vaz and farntfar. Oh, and a stealth vote from DEO -- thank you!

Thank you to everyone who mentioned my story, and I especially thank those who voted for it: The Judge, Jo Zebedee, Luiglin, Cathbad, Joshua Jones, and Paul Meccano.

_____

And for those who haven't voted yet: time is running out fast, so please if you can find time do read the stories and vote for your favorite three. And a reminder that even if you didn't enter this month you can still vote. In fact, those who vote though they don't have a story in the competition are greatly appreciated.

Here are the full results of the Ursa jury, with the stories in posting order within the categories:

Honourable Mentions:
  • Squeak! by dannymcg
  • Mettifour by Cory Swanson
  • The Greatest Story Ever Told Off by Harpo

Runners Up:

• Cottonmouth by johnnyjet
  • Sooner Than Later by mosaix
  • When the Siren Sings by Peter V

Winners:

• Taster Menu by EPT Henry
  • Plagued by Perpetual Man
  • In Desperate Need Of... by Jo Zebedee

Misaix
Here are the full results of the Ursa jury, with the stories in posting order within the categories:

Honourable Mentions:
  • Squeak! by dannymcg
  • Mettifour by Cory Swanson
  • The Greatest Story Ever Told Off by Harpo

Runners Up:

• Cottonmouth by johnnyjet
  • Sooner Than Later by mosaix
  • When the Siren Sings by Peter V

Winners:

• Taster Menu by EPT Henry
  • Plagued by Perpetual Man
  • In Desperate Need Of... by Jo Zebedee
thank you! I wondered if you’d enjoy my rather dour last line!

Well I'm happy with this month's outcome. I got onto a couple of shortlists, got a couple of honourable mentions and I even got myself a vote!

I couldn't care less who wins now - "well done you unknown good writer, you" - because I'm too busy doing my happy strut around my study..

(Being pretentious there, I'm actually lying on the sofa with a smartphone :D and don't have a study)

Thank you, The Judge for the short listing.
And thank you, Shyrka for the stealth vote! I’m delighted you enjoyed my story.