Sue Grafton (1940 - 2017)

Cathbad

Level 30 Geek Master
No, she wasn't a Sci-Fi or Fantasy author; she wrote mysteries. And she is one of my favorite all time authors.

There has been a lot of discussion of the First-Person POV on this site. if you want to know how to do it right, read its Master - Sue Grafton. Her P.I., Kinsey Millhone, will be sorely missed.

Ms. Grafton wrote 25 Millhone novels, each with an alphabetical title, starting with A is for Alibi, and ending with Y is for Yesterday. She died after a battle with cancer, and her husband reports she never started that 26th 'Z' novel.

'Y' came out in August. I haven't read it yet. So, if you'll forgive me, I need to go procure a copy.

One of my favorite mystery novelists. :(

It's wrong, somehow, to have made it all the way to Y and not to Z. How could that be?

You should really start a bit further back in the alphabet. It's not necessary to read them in order, but there are character arcs that have some fairly drastic changes by the later letters. :)

It's wrong, somehow, to have made it all the way to Y and not to Z.
According the BBC's news report on her death, her
series of murder mystery novels, each beginning with a different letter of the alphabet, have been translated into 26 languages
which may go some way to make things better for the completists amongst you.

You should really start a bit further back in the alphabet. It's not necessary to read them in order, but there are character arcs that have some fairly drastic changes by the later letters. :)

I figured that might be the case, but I wanted to read what I thought might be her at her height. I'd just planned to dip in rather than read everything - unless I really enjoyed this book. :)