Why Operation Sealion would always have failed

1. Brian G Turner

Brian G Turner He's a very naughty boy! Staff Member

Interesting video about why the planned Nazi invasion of Britain - Operation Sealion - could never really have succeeded, should it ever have been tried:

It also goes to underline why the Battle of Britain was so important - by ensuring British superiority over British airspace, it effectively scuttled any possibility of an invasion happening.

Dec 26, 2017
    dannymcg likes this.
  2. dannymcg

dannymcg Well-Known Member

Interesting. Creaking up from my memory banks (did I read it in Churchills memoirs?) is something about the RAF being kept deliberately away from Dunkirk except for small patrols. This was to keep as many aircraft as possible for fighting off the dreaded Hun invasion.
    The Royal Navy was furiously arming trawlers with single launch torpedoes at the same time, their intent was to throw everything they possibly could in a last ditch effort against the German high fleet and invasion barges.
    It must have been a few weeks of great fear in the Admiralty

Dec 26, 2017
  3. Vladd67

Vladd67 Stake Holder

The trouble for the Germans was they only had barges, a large RN ship pulling a tight turn could have swamped them in the channel. Even if they had landed and made a beach head there was no way they could get enough supplies to continue the fight in any significant manner, it was a doomed plan.

Dec 26, 2017
  4. BAYLOR

BAYLOR There Are Always new Things to Learn.

The Royal Navy at that time was by far the best navy in the world. The Germans by comparison had a far smaller surface fleet and no carriers.

Dec 27, 2017
  5. sknox

sknox Member and remember

I dunno. I was able to pull it off playing Panzer General II. :)

Dec 27, 2017
    dannymcg likes this.