The Perp Challenge Discussion Thread.

Thank you for the vote Victoria and Parson and for the mention johnnyjet.

This was an interesting and very different challenge. Usually I struggle for an entry, be it 75 or a 100 words but this time it was a little easier as I effectively had a template that I was forced to follow. Once I had the initial idea it kind of flowed along with the predetermined words.

Deciding on my favourite has proved much harder. A few days ago I narrowed it down to Victoria, Theresa, Our sleepy long necked friend and Suzanne. I have re-read them several times since. Eventually I decided on Suzanne because I particularly liked the ending.

Well done to all and thank you again Perp for taking the time and effort to set this up.

Peter

This challenge was quite a bit harder than I was expecting, I mean we have words telling us the general direction of the story, surely just adding a few more would be easy... Nope! Challenges are fun though, and wouldn't be what they are if there wasn't any challenge, right? :)

Anyway, everyone did great. I managed to whittle down my top 3 to Mouse, Suzanne, and lastly, StarBeast, who takes the victory this time. Well done all(y)

Oh, wow, man. I'm rather shocked and awed to see that I got a stealth vote.
This particular poll refuses to reveal the name of the perpetrator... But, thanks, so much, whomever you are.

I'm still working on my own impressions. A tough job to give all of these entries due, thoughtful consideration.

Good job giving us 'til the end of the month to cast our votes.

Oh, wow, man. I'm rather shocked and awed to see that I got a stealth vote.
This particular poll refuses to reveal the name of the perpetrator... But, thanks, so much, whomever you are.

I'm still working on my own impressions. A tough job to give all of these entries due, thoughtful consideration.

Good job giving us 'til the end of the month to cast our votes.

That was me.
The reason?
It fed into what I like. I have nothing to say on the quality of writing; the spelling, grammar, execution of skills. I just literally liked it.
The character who seems to be a little crazed really isn't dealing with the situation, instead reacting to it. reminds me of how I feel in the UK at the moment.
Essentially there are some great pieces and i've enjoyed reading them all. Your piece just hit the spot when I needed it.

Cheers

First of all, a big thank you to Perpetual Man for setting up the challenge: I found it great fun to do.

Thank you so much, for the votes, Peter V and Mouse, I’m pleased my story worked well for you. And also thank you to Parson, Johnnyjet and LittleStar for the mentions and lovely comments. And thank you Cathbad and Victoria for the little reviews.

I'm still reading through the stories and thoroughly enjoying them.

I have read through all the entries and cannot believe the standard that has been set throughout. I have often said that the creativity and talent on this site is immense. This challenge has not only proved that, but reinforced and expanded it a thousandfold.

I did have a few qualms about voting, after all, this is my challenge and part of me did not think it was right to do so, especially as all the stories were excellent, showing imagination and creativity and singling one out was a trite unfair.

You are all winners.

I may, or may not have voted ;) but I have done all I need, except wait for the challenge to close

Thank you, Nixie, for the vote, and thank you (whoever you are) for the stealth votes. A lovely surprise!

I think all the stories have been really good, but my favourites were from Victoria, Mouse, and TitaniumTi.

My vote goes to: Coincidence by Peter V. I loved this from the moment I read it.

Thank you, Nixie, for the vote, and thank you (whoever you are) for the stealth votes. A lovely surprise!

I think all the stories have been really good, but my favourites were from Victoria, Mouse, and TitaniumTi.

My vote goes to: Coincidence by Peter V. I loved this from the moment I read it.

Mutual story admiration Suzanne (y)

Other favorites were by Victoria, Starbeast, Peter V, Titanium Ti, and Suzanne Jackson.

Fun and different challenge. It seemed impossible when you first look at it. But then, somehow, it happens!

Roger that, Johnnyjet. I felt the same about this challenge. But when I stared the words for while, a story began to form within the words, for me. Thanks for the mention. You made my day.

This challenge was quite a bit harder than I was expecting, I mean we have words telling us the general direction of the story, surely just adding a few more would be easy... Nope! Challenges are fun though, and wouldn't be what they are if there wasn't any challenge, right? :)

Anyway, everyone did great. I managed to whittle down my top 3 to Mouse, Suzanne, and lastly, StarBeast, who takes the victory this time. Well done all(y)

Thank you, gigantically, lady LittleStar for your vote. I do agree with you. We did have to go with the flow of the river on this one. And, YES! Perpetual Man came up with quite a unique idea.

Short List of Perpetual League of Coconuts

@Victoria Silverwolf
@Mouse
@Luiglin
@Teresa Edgerton
@Cat's Cradle
@Glisterspeck
@Joshua Jones
@Peter V
@holland
@johnnyjet
@TitaniumTi
@LittleStar
@Alex The G and T
@Suzanne Jackson
@TheDustyZebra

Hahaha, so I got so excited by the idea of this, that I failed to read the fine-print, went away and agonisingly carved out a story, came back all gung-ho to post it and... realised the entry was closed.

Fml. Seriously.

Anyway, because I absolutely demand that my effort not be completely wasted, I'll simply post it here instead as a kind of strange footnote to the whole experience, and force you to read it anyway :ROFLMAO:

History would not smile kindly on us.

"Imagine," said Jann, his gaze fixed on the mushroom cloud rising above us. "One breath, and it's all just... gone."

I eyed him warily. "Guess we're famous now," I said, and he tore his eyes from the disaster to glare at me.

"What?"

"I mean," I went on carelessly. "We're special, aren’t we? The last survivors, mankind’s final cha - “

"Fame? Really?” Contempt dripped from his voice like acid. “That’s what's important to you?"

"No," I said, my own eyes narrowing. "But don't you think it's peculiar? That we were chosen, from everyone."

"Perhaps. I thought you said they explained why?"

"Actually, what I said was -

Jann fixed me with a look, and the weight of it made me wince. "Okay," I held up my hands in surrender. "Whatever. Ready to go meet them?"

"No."

I dragged my fingers through my hair, flinching as they caught a knot. "Don't meddle," I warned. "Remember, we don't have permission to - "

"Thought you said you were curious?" he shot back, and I inhaled, trying not to picture things going wrong. Just when I had finally started to believe.

"And I thought you preferred to survive.” I snapped. There was a flash in Jann's eyes, and I sighed. “Look, there’s no time for this. Oxygen's limited. We need to go."

My brother scowled, but for once he didn't argue, just turned and stalked away, down the trail, towards the submarine that would save him.

Silently, I waved goodbye.

As we head towards the home straight, am I right in judging the shortest story to be 71 words? Have I missed any smaller?

The voting should close tomorrow automatically, but the chances are I'll be asleep when it happens ;) I'll try and keep those heavy lids open.

I'll confirm the winners after the poll closes or the following morning. (And will try to contact said winners over the course of the day.) Phew

Not wanting to rub salt into any wounds @Appello - but that would have been a cracking entry!

As we head towards the home straight, am I right in judging the shortest story to be 71 words?

<ahem> 69 words? <ahem>

I jumped on last night (NZT) and voted for @Glisterspeck. one of many good stories which got my vote because the required words were so well used that I forgot what they even were - even submarine!