Short story shows immortality for all humans, read early 1980's

chloemichele

Story begins with family/friends alive for thousands of years, deciding next travel destination. Have seen all of earth, very bored, married family members as relationships disappear. Story gives their sense of boredom and lack of new experiences. Author gives the down side of living forever.
Thank you

Bit of a long shot, but how about Heinlein's Time Enough for Love?
Boredom? Check. Marrying family members (Howards)? Check.
Just a thought.

In some ways this makes me think of Michael Moorcock's "Dancers at the End of Time"

Although there is a volume of collected Dancers short stories.
But...the description is too broad.

Could be one of the post scarcity stories? That would fit with the eighties date, even if I can't pin down the particular story.

Hi,

Not a perfect match - but "A Choice of Gods" Simak? A group of people woke up on earth to find that the rest of mankind had vanished overnight, and they now live thousands of years. They can travel between worlds with their thoughts.

Cheers, Greg.

Hi,

Not a perfect match - but "A Choice of Gods" Simak? A group of people woke up on earth to find that the rest of mankind had vanished overnight, and they now live thousands of years. They can travel between worlds with their thoughts.

Cheers, Greg.
I don't think it's A CHOICE OF GODS. That book (which is a short novel, not a short story) does not match the descriptive given above, in many ways.
Speaking of Simak, though, I know a couple of his other stories also presented down sides to immortality. But the one being looked for is not one of those...