Vote for the Best Image for January's 300 Word Writing Challenge

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Judge

Truth. Order. Moderation.
Staff member
Supporter
In view of the success of the previous Image Poll for the 300 Worder, we thought we'd have another this quarter, so once again instead of the mods choosing the inspiration image, you lot will!

We've again picked four images from which you can choose, trying to have a spread of images to fit SF and fantasy and general indeterminate speculative fiction but, of course, you're not bound by our thoughts on what category any image might fall into.

To repeat what I said last time, when we mods choose an image, we look for one which we hope will generate the most entries and the most diversity of stories, so perhaps bear that in mind when voting. Or vote for the one that most appeals to you or which plants an immediate story in your head. The important thing is to vote!

Even if you don't think you'll write a story this quarter, or none of the images inspire you, vote anyway. (Then try and write a story -- we want as many as possible!)

This is also a Discussion thread, so do chat here about the images and/or the forthcoming Challenge which will start on 1 January.

The poll will stay open until 10pm GMT on December 30th which should give everyone time to have a look and vote despite all the Christmas and New Year frenzy! As usual, the poll is open, so everyone will be able to see who voted and how.

Anyhow, on with the voting! The images are:

A -- Door in the Mountain

B -- Cotton Bush Plant

C -- Orb on the Pier

D -- Blue People​

January 2018.jpg

NB
We always get consent to use images before we put the 300 Worders up, but we've been a bit slow in getting our act together backstage so we're still waiting to hear from one member about his picture. If he wins the poll, but we don't hear from him before 1 January we'll use the second placed image instead, but then -- providing he agrees! -- we'll probably chose his image for April's Challenge.

Last edited:
Don't forget to vote then!

Me, I'm still torn between them. I really want to write a story about the door in the mountain, but the sheer strangeness of the cotton bush strongly appeals to me, while the blue people and the orb have already given me ideas.

All are very good ... I think there are many stories available from any of these. At the moment I'm leaning towards A or C (love that ball of light), but I'll have a think on this. Yay! Just excited the 300 Worder is nearly here! :)

The Blue People is where it's at for me. In second place, the plant. Photos with life will always trump location photos for narrative purposes IMO.

ps -BTW, beautifully arrayed spread of photos, TJ! And a very nice touch with the question mark in the middle.

Oh, I'm not responsible for the arrangement of the images. All the accolades on that score belong to Ursa who had the difficult job of putting the images together, which he did wonderfully last time, too.

Ihe, you're different from me, then. I prefer to work with still life/location images. I can invent the people myself, but I need help with world-building the settings!

For sheer strangeness I went for the cotton bush plant.

All nice pictures. I'm sure we'll have excellent stories this month. (As usual!)

They're all wonderful pictures. Not sure how to decide between them.
----

Of course, it may have been that two people could have seen a strange blue orb on the pier on their evening walk. Despite his sister's warning, the man stepped too close, and both were transformed into half-human, half creature blue memories of what they had been, After a year, unable to live any longer like that, they decided to set out across the cotton-grass steppes to the Grey Rock.

There, deep in the mountain, an old healer plied his trade at the goblin court. Sometimes, he agreed to help his fellow human. Perhaps he could cure them, and return their bodies to them, for a price. But first, they had to ask permission of the gatekeeper. Not sure which they feared more--to be turned away, or to be granted entry to the dark caverns of the Earth--they knocked on her door. Once, twice...

----
Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Can I just vote for the picture with the people, the plant, the orb and door? That is a really good one...

As an aside, if my phone's autocorrect changes orb one more time...

Ooh, it's close at the moment.

Only 24 votes so far, though, if my maths is correct. I was hoping to see a lot more than that, so if you've not voted yet, get on with it! (That includes me, but I'm still torn between two of them. It might come down to a toss of the coin!)

Only a few hours left to vote!

Even if you're not likely to take part in the 300 Word Challenge, you can still vote for the image to inflict upon ... er ... inspire your fellow members!

Yeah, why not just have 2 pic options per challenge? That'd be sweet. You could choose one or the other, or combine both.

Status
Not open for further replies.