General SFF Radio/Podcasts Discussion?

1. Toby Frost

Toby Frost Well-Known Member

Would it be an idea to have a general discussion area for SFF on the radio? I could image that there might be interest in shows like the Hitchhikers’ Guide and some of the Twilight Zone-style programmes. There have also been some good BBC adaptations of SF novels: their version of The Caves of Steel is well-regarded and I recently enjoyed their adaptation of Neuromancer. They recently did I Robot, too. The discussion area could also cover podcasts, either discussing or producing SFF.

I doubt there would be enough interest to have an entire section devoted to various shows, but it might be good to have a general thread. Apologies if this already exists and I’ve missed it somewhere. Thanks!

Dec 13, 2017
    Brian G Turner likes this.
  2. dannymcg

dannymcg Well-Known Member

Could be interesting. I used to subscribe to a sci fi short story podcast site about four years ago (the names totally gone from memory now!).
    Hopefully we could get a useful few links out of such discussions :)

The reason I stopped visiting the podcast site was I think they began economising, they ended up using the same couple of women for reading every story and one was too sibilitant. It got very irksome

Dec 14, 2017
  3. Toby Frost

Toby Frost Well-Known Member

Yes, podcasts vary enormously, and the great majority are going to be pretty amateurish by the very nature of the medium. But there are some very polished ones, and podcasting is a growing part of SFF fandom. I’m not especially knowledgeable here, but as you say, a place to link to good ones would be useful.

Also, for a long while the radio was the best place to adapt SF, because of the lack of visuals. I get the impression that there were a lot of older American radio shows that did SFF, perhaps with varying degrees of success, but again I’m no expert.

Dec 15, 2017
  4. AlexH

AlexH Well-Known Member

I don't listen to them much, but there are quite a few I've seen that look interesting - including a couple of fantasy ones the BBC did.

I heard a couple of BBC Radio 4's adaptations of Isaac Asimov's I, Robot and they were good. There were 6 in total I think. They're not currently available, but may pop up again: BBC Radio 4 - 15 Minute Drama, Isaac Asimov's I, Robot, Robbie

Dec 15, 2017
  5. Old_Man_Steve2016

Old_Man_Steve2016 Well-Known Member

I actually have my own program on Youtube as part of the BSFS, doing reviews of members' works.

There's more than enough creative members here that can make a SFFChron podcast, reviewing member books and other works. It'd be a pretty good resume pumper, at the very least.

Dec 18, 2017
    dannymcg likes this.