8.08: The Walking Dead - How It's Gotta Be

With fewer original cast members on the show every season, is the time coming for Rick Grimes actor Andrew Lincoln to make a grand exit from The Walking Dead?

Fans of the AMC series on social media are divided with multiple types of conversations going on. Some fans defend the show against "haters," claiming it is as good as it's ever been. Others simply suggest those who aren't enjoying stop watching (and nine million of them have). Some are on the offensive, sending hateful messages to showrunner Scott Gimple in the aftermath of another core cast member bowing out in Season 8's midseason finale and premiere episodes, following a series of All Out War episodes which have been disappointing for many.

Two years ago, the conversations in Reddit threads and even on dedicated forums like The Spoiling Dead Fans were much more positive. Now, they're divided, and suspecting the end may be near for a show which was almost unanimously praised in its earlier seasons -- back when numbers like 17 million live viewers were attainable.

While Jeffrey Dean Morgan assured ComicBook.com he is in it for "the long haul" as the show's Negan, it's Andrew Lincoln who is beginning to sound a bit different for the first time and it might have been sparked by the exit of Chandler Riggs.
Will Andrew Lincoln Leave 'The Walking Dead'?

The Walking Dead's showrunner has an unwavering confidence in the AMC series' ability to survive more seasons.

Scott Gimple, who has been running The Walking Dead since January of 2013, believes the show will easily last beyond the yet-to-be announced season nine. "We're juggling a lot of things but there's been no discussion about season nine being the end," Gimple told THR. "I'm confident of beyond a 10th season; we're building toward the future."

With contracts for stars such as Rick Grimes actor Andrew Lincoln rumored to be running out following Season 8, the Walking Dead boss dodges explaining who will or won't be a part of the show as it presses on. "I wouldn't speak to any of that but I'm very confident of a 10th season," Gimple said. "I think it is a question but there is some business to handle with the things you just said. I'm not sure if they're entirely on the money, as far as timing and everything like that, but I think we are tending to a lot of stuff before we jump into that. In the same respect, there's a super long-term plan and we're continuing to follow it. I know that's a lot of double-talk but I would say everything is quite cool."
Scott Gimple On The Uncertain Future Of 'The Walking Dead'

They were talking about 12+ not so long ago. To me that article suggests 11 is optimistic. But it will surely come down to viewer numbers. AMC could run a show with a few million viewers but maybe not if they massive paychecks.

Also I wonder what will happen with Morgan as he is will try to free a heavily defended "King". Seems to me he wont survive.

For me, their is nothing seriously broken yet in this show. However, I much prefer Fear The Walking Dead and if I compare them, then it is the character development that is the clear difference between them. The Walking Dead has lost a large number of cast members, not just original cast members, but some who came and stayed for several seasons. Of those who remain, there are a few who I know very little about their background. I also (might just be me here) frequently get Rosita and Tara mixed up. I find it hard to believe Carol is the same character in Season 7 as Season 1, and similarly, the journey Morgan's character has taken is beyond belief too. I get it that these are broken people, but they still wouldn't act in the way they do.

So, they should stop all the exceedingly long speeches (usually a sure sign the character will be dying) and stop the general mayhem with the totally unbelievable amount of gunfire and explosives. Then they should quickly dispense with Negan and instead move back to some proper character building. Also stop the flashbacks and extreme close-ups.

Good points Dave. I don't think I have noticed the extreme close-ups as a thing. Just close-ups on people when they are talking?

So, they should stop all the exceedingly long speeches (usually a sure sign the character will be dying) and stop the general mayhem with the totally unbelievable amount of gunfire and explosives. Then they should quickly dispense with Negan and instead move back to some proper character building. Also stop the flashbacks and extreme close-ups.

Totally agree. Some of my favourite moments in this show are when the characters are struggling to survive against this world, not a big bad. Unfortunately it sounds like the showrunners are besotted with Negan, so I expect he'll be around for a few seasons yet, god help us.

Good points Dave. I don't think I have noticed the extreme close-ups as a thing. Just close-ups on people when they are talking?

They did it to start and end the second episode, I think, and then at least couple of times in this episode. Some one loves the technique a little too much. I think they must think its really deep and affecting, but it really comes off more like a bad student film. The editing as a whole this season had been a mess.

Totally agree. Some of my favourite moments in this show are when the characters are struggling to survive against this world, not a big bad. Unfortunately it sounds like the showrunners are besotted with Negan, so I expect he'll be around for a few seasons yet, god help us.
Hopefully not like Pope in Falling Skies. The bad guy who kept having a few moments of good before screwing up again and again for years.

Regarding close-ups maybe I was thinking about some plot point criticism and the poor camerawork went over my head. Thinking about it, it is true that when there are shootouts they often seem to show one person shooting a gun from behind cover, then another, and no overview.

This article suggests a new showrunner is the only hope for improving the show.
There's Only One Way To Save 'The Walking Dead' Now, And It Isn't Pretty

Reactions: ctg
walker-bite-carl-1-1065812.png

mMYZnZ3.png

Photos Of The 'Walking Dead' Walker That Bit Carl

Wouldn't arm being much easier target than Carl's tummy?

There was a Walker (maybe the same one) on top of Carl, but off camera, for quite a long time in that episode. It isn't an issue for me how it happened (though yes, I agree, he should have several arm bites in addition to the belly bite.)

Actually, they are so careless and foolish as regards safety that I don't understand why they haven't all been bitten. Glen should never have escaped from that car parking lot (it was impossible.) Which why his death by Lucille just made no sense, as regards to what the writing team were thinking.

Nah, he's just doing that trick that you do with a ruler, where you wobble it between your fingers to make it look like it's rubber!

I wouldn't have believed that AMC's photographer would take a shot from them using a prop instead of the real thing. I would not have believed, but then again I still didn't see Negan pulling out his bowie and using it against Rick. It's almost as if it doesn't exist in this series even though it visibly present in the comics.

I can't really tell that is a rubber bat. It is such a blurred shot.