8.07: The Walking Dead - Time for After

ctg

weaver of the unseen
ZwCtLc8.jpg

Dr Carson and Dr Evil (Photo by Gene Page/AMC)

Negan has to enlist the help of his lieutenants in solving a huge issue facing the Sanctuary; Rick and the group continue to enact the plan.

Rick??? The naked man with trash tribe?

Rick, Rick, Rick. I feel so disappointed and I think you do too. The war is never easy. It's not what you see in the television or on the silver screen. The war is a series of failures, one after another as the opponents slag on each other most devious punishments one can make up with a brain.

Eugene's brain in this case should have flown over the sea on zombies growling outside the Sanctuary walls. For some reason Dr Evil isn't using the brain matter to understand the gravity of the situation. He sees it wrongly as in the war people die as an unfortunate consequence. There's no way around it.

I just don't understand why he flipped so badly. Maybe that is because I don't understand fear very well. Dr Evil claims he wants to save people, but his action has indirectly caused so many deaths. Saviours and the members of Ricknation. But to his defence I have to say many brainy people would act as he has done so far. Many simply would find ways to get out from trouble, and that's what Eugene does as he troubleshoots the situation in his unique way.

Would he had stayed with Ricknation, things could have turned differently in many ways. So eventually we can only blame Rosita for begging him to make a bullet that then missed Negan's nogging. All of this, all BS that has been going for a while could have been avoided. We could have focused on some other drama instead of hating losing cool characters left and right.

But that's the richness of The Walking Dead as there are so much drama tied around these events that otherwise could have been lost as footnotes of history. So here's the question, if Saviours had that much ammo stored in the compound, why they didn't simply shoot the dead from angles that doesn't make them vulnerable to sniper fire?

Then again I should really go back to Rick and his failure with the trash tribe and ask, what was he thinking?

Too bad Daryl didn't realize that his assault bid had a high probability of failure, as he had been told by those he should have respected. I can understand impatience when victory seems so close, but waiting another day or two for the Saviors to weaken even more before making a desperate escape bid was a better plan. It certainly took Rick by surprise.
Then again I should really go back to Rick and his failure with the trash tribe and ask, what was he thinking?
I don't get that move, either. If Rick really needed the trash tribe to finally put an end to the Saviors, why get Crazy Lady's dander up by telling her to join them or die? When Rick cedes leadership to Maggie, she had better not give him a diplomatic position.
I hope Negan's belief that he is too well suited to apocalyptic society to be killed is more based on delusions of grandeur than reality.

Reactions: ctg
When Rick cedes leadership to Maggie, she had better not give him a diplomatic position. I hope Negan's belief that he is too well suited to apocalyptic society to be killed is more based on delusions of grandeur than reality.

Do they have any choice but to give him some sort of honourary position?

I see a great deal of complaints elsewhere online about this series "spiralling downwards" (and the number of contributors to these threads seems to have gone down) but I don't personally think the quality is any poorer recently. The story is complicated, and as you point out, the characters are very complex. What I would say though, is that parts have been quite dull - Rick in the dump - we've seen him fight the spiky man already. Eugene's dilemma - been there, done that. This half season, covering a single battle that only lasted a day or so, now needs to quickly resolve it, turn the page, and move on to a new chapter. It doesn't look like that is happening anytime soon.

This half season, covering a single battle that only lasted a day or so, now needs to quickly resolve it, turn the page, and move on to a new chapter.

But it not just one day. The dialogue pointed that it has been at least a week, if not more since the attack and Rick meeting the trash tribe. I would like this to be over for you guys. The story that comes after this is much better than this super compacted war, which was much cooler in the comics.

I like this season, it dipped last season and it hasn't fully got back to the highs of earlier ones.

All long running series have ups and downs.

Rosetta and Michonne' s inner turmoil and their humane side winning was well done.

Eugene' s conflict with himself, not sure who he is trying to convince himself or others that his original group were only travelling companions not friends. He can't see any future for himself except with Negan, he doesn't believe he can be forgiven for betraying Rick' s group.

Negan should stand trial, Rick, Maggie and Ezekiel as judges.

He succeeded! Well it turns out it took too long but why was no one concerned about how long he was there, and wouldn't he have had strict discussions with Daryl et al about waiting for him? Michonne's refusal to join the attack implies she sees a future with her and Rick, but why didn't she mention his perhaps being killed or hostage status either?
Despite those comments I enjoyed the episode. The zombie head on a stick was a fine weapon for Rick. The Eugene scenes were really good.
"You look like a Potato and sh*t casserole" was quite the insult. The zombies getting in to the "sanctuary" was great to see too though it was sad for us they couldn't get up the stairs and seemingly the war will go on much longer.

Presumably Rick and Daryl need a showdown too. Also Michonne didn't want to dissuade Daryl from the plan? She wasn't needed in the passenger seat anyway. Daryl is the main villain this season in terms of leading to lives lost. The lower level of sanctuary is where the workers lived.
In a way Eugene's actions can be argued as trying to save people, by luring the zombies away.

Wake me up when the helicopter comes back and tells them Washington is the only place with zombies still...

Genius plan, must have taken a great IQ to come up with 'shoot lots of bullets at the dead people'.
At least they made a passing reference to replacing the magic bullets.

The plot now seems to be how can we prolong the storyline or repeat the story line.
Any ludicrous decision made by any unlikely source is allowed.

Rick served the group best, way back in the prison, when all he did was grow tomatoes!

How come when Rick arrived to the Sanctuary the snipers had left? Implies that not only did the dead go inside but the saviours had already escaped. Maybe that will be explained in flashbacks again.

How come when Rick arrived to the Sanctuary the snipers had left? Implies that not only did the dead go inside but the saviours had already escaped. Maybe that will be explained in flashbacks again.

Flashbacks bookended by speeches