December 2017: Reading thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was skimming through the family book collection, and opened up The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey, a post-invasion YA - and was immediately hooked. Strong, short, punchy chapters - liking this, so far. :)

Last edited:
Still in the process of rereading the wheel of time series by Robert Jordan. Any avid readers out there have any suggestions for a good fantasy series/author?
Do you mean good like RJ, or good as in actually good?

And I forgot to say I'm reading ERB's Land That Time Forgot, maybe just a few pages before lights out. I read this once or twice in my teens, long ago. I'm reading a coverless Doubleday hardcover with the other two Caspak books in one volume now, but when I was a youngster would have read it in one of those little Ace reprints.

md20001367988.jpg

I read this through, but I'm not planning to read the two remaining Caspak books. It doesn't seem to me that ERB had much more in mind here than "the ERB usual adventures, this time on a hidden island where individuals go through stages of evolution from ape to Neanderthal to modern human, and prehistoric animals attack." The third book brings in the winged Wieroos, the ruler of which the hero will kill and two members of which species will fly the hero and his mate back to their kind. It was kind of fun to revisit this, though, after about 45 years.

Funnily enough I have that one lined up for Christmas reading" :D
i think i saw a movie based on the book on television some years ago... something about the invisible college also

Still in the process of rereading the wheel of time series by Robert Jordan. Any avid readers out there have any suggestions for a good fantasy series/author?
several. i already published a list here. but what are you looking for? supernatural? syfy? urban fantasy?

i think i saw a movie based on the book on television some years ago... something about the invisible college also
Yes, it was, I think, a made for TV movie. There have been several made from the Discworld books. I think they've generally been quite good.

I took an early rest from Darkmans to squeeze in a short book from my kindle, The Giver - Lois Lowry.

I liked it, though the end seemed to arrive in a rush - I seem to say this a lot !

Whilst it is very much "making a point" and written for a young audience, a little more detail wouldn't have hurt.

Back to Darkmans for now.

Starting off December with a bang. Read All These Worlds (Bobiverse #3) by Dennis E Taylor. Fun read. The narratives switch so quickly that I feel like i could read 20 more of these and still be entertained. (4/5)

Communication Failure by Joe Zieja. I loved Mechanical Failure. I thought it was a great sci-fi comedy and one one of my favorite books of last year. The sequel is entirely too short and there really wasn't much of a plot. It was more like a script for a TV episode. Still had fun with it (3.5/5)

Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer. I am trying to periodically finish books I gave up on over the last few years. I suffered through this one.Interesting premise, but I ended up bored with it. I'm truthfully hoping the movie isbetter. (2/5)

Currently listening to Dragon's Egg by Robert L. Forward
Currently reading: The Wrong Stars by TimPratt (thinking this one is going to become a favorite if it holds up)

I hope Dracula picks up. It got interesting when the guy was held captive in the castle but then got boring with all the letters back and forth. Nice to see mention of Whitby tho (although I couldn't understand a word the old guy was talking about!)

Finished The Warmth of Other Suns by Isabel Wilkers. It is a really good way to gain an understanding of the Black experience of the Jim Crow era in the U.S. I recommend this to anyone interested or doing research on the Great American Migration. Finished listening to The Drowned Girls by Loreth Anne White. This is a nice solid psychological thriller, and have started listening to The Lullaby Girl by Loreth Anne White, the second in the Angie Pallorini series. AND I've started (rather to my surprise) At the Sound of Triumph, the latest, (last?) in David Weber's Safehold series. It's nearly 1000 pages long. So far despite my very low expectations, or perhaps because of them, I've found it half interesting. (How far has this David Weber fan fallen in his expectations? I guess endless explanations and following characters you don't know and often don't care about, does that too you. For me Safehold was always less than optimal, too much like the 17th and 18th centuries, and almost nothing in the books after Off Armageddon Reef that even smacked of Science Fiction.)

About to start Rendezvous in Black (1948) by Cornell Woolrich, one of his psychological suspense novels.

I haven't read that one. I'll be interested in hearing what you think.

Still reading Dead Cold and still find Louise Penny's story-telling charming.

Randy M.

Finished The Warmth of Other Suns by Isabel Wilkers. It is a really good way to gain an understanding of the Black experience of the Jim Crow era in the U.S. I recommend this to anyone interested or doing research on the Great American Migration. Finished listening to The Drowned Girls by Loreth Anne White. This is a nice solid psychological thriller, and have started listening to The Lullaby Girl by Loreth Anne White, the second in the Angie Pallorini series. AND I've started (rather to my surprise) At the Sound of Triumph, the latest, (last?) in David Weber's Safehold series. It's nearly 1000 pages long. So far despite my very low expectations, or perhaps because of them, I've found it half interesting. (How far has this David Weber fan fallen in his expectations? I guess endless explanations and following characters you don't know and often don't care about, does that too you. For me Safehold was always less than optimal, too much like the 17th and 18th centuries, and almost nothing in the books after Off Armageddon Reef that even smacked of Science Fiction.)
it was already discussed, in november... there will be more 8 books planned for safehold

Then am going straight on to an ebook, McClennons Syndrome by Robert Frezza -
What's not to like so far with this book? Funny aliens, space navies ran by the banks and a sexy vampire with a penchant for really bad puns :)
Sci fi escapism with a bit of fun - shouldn't it always be this way?

What's not to like so far with this book? Funny aliens, space navies ran by the banks and a sexy vampire with a penchant for really bad puns :)
Sci fi escapism with a bit of fun - shouldn't it always be this way?
Took me a while to find that book: McLendon's Syndrome :D

it was already discussed, in november... there will be more 8 books planned for safehold

Sigh! Yea, I was a part of that conversation. (Or did I just lurk?) anyway that doesn't fill me with joy. I believe that there are 3 more books planned before the "Safeholdians" move out into space and eventually take on the Gbaba, which is the story I'd like to read. ---- in at least half the size book that Weber is now putting out. My son's words keep ringing in my ears.... "What are you reading? A dictionary?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back