Review of Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

My criticism of people criticizing the film might have been taken wrong. Sorry but I just feel that it must be really difficult to take whot was done 20 years ago and tying it into something new.

Eradius Lore made many points that I was going to make in response to WarlikeMenelaos.

Anakin as a pilot...Anakin was also piloting pod racers.
Point of view debate...Anakin and Palpatine had this discussion.

Leia remembering her mother...photos, holos...

Obi-wan trained by Yoda...Yoda was not training apprentices. He was instructing younglings and i suspect that Obi-wan had a class or two with him.

Identifying robots...First of all Obi-Wan never owned a bot. Second is that in the Star Wars universe robots are a dime a dozen and just because we can recognize r2 and 3po among the rest people in that universe would see them as common as we do a car or comp.

I liked your thought about the samuri fall. That was a great point and idea.

One thing about the fight scenes. Nothing can compare to Darth Maul. The actors did their best but the guy who played Maul is a martial arts expert.

Yoda is 900 years old. He doesnt know he is going to get pneumonia in Ep 6 because he is still healthy in his swamp. He wasnt keen to train Luke because what happens if this little brat is just like his daddy.

Lucas's efforts and this universe he created, though it is for profit it is fun and entertaining. I have my issues with the shows too and came here to see what others said about it. I want to write professionally but it is something that is really daunting. I've written around 90k of one story but it is hard to keep things tied together.

Palpatine was faking it. He wasnt weak. He needed Anakin to feel like he was weak. Read the book.

Maddy said:
Anakin as a pilot...Anakin was also piloting pod racers.

one point about this, Obi one was on tatooine but he never left the ship so he would never have seen anakin pod race

I thought the movie was ok, I didn't like the droid humor. Star Wars is an epic saga, not a comedy. My favorite part was when Yoda fought Darth Palpatine erm.... I mean Sidious, and when Obi-Wan fought Anakin. But there were so many allusions to the original 3. When Obi and Annie were fighting on that pillar/platform, The Empire Strikes Back, when Owen and Beru were looking out at the two Tatooine suns, Star Wars:A New Hope. But I felt tears when the Jedi's were being massacered. I almost cried when I saw Yoda gasp as Anakin fiercly betrayed the Jedi to save Palpatine by cutting off Mace Windu's lightsaber arm. I'm glad Samuel L. Jackson was going to quit unless Mace Windu died with a battle, because the movie woulda stunk without it. It was the ultimate turning point in the movie.

Oh and Winter's Sorrow, waddya do with that cool avatar? and why did Master change his avatar and title for the umpteenth time this month?

HenryVI said:
Oh and Winter's Sorrow, waddya do with that cool avatar? and why did Master change his avatar and title for the umpteenth time this month?

it's just in storage for later use.
It was even starting to creep me out! :)

Alexa said:
I believe that humor droid make the movie accessible to children, too, not only for adults.
Now see I love the droids in the movie, especially R2D2 at the beginning... but maybe that's just the kid in me. :D

WarlikeMenelaos said:
The problem I have with the prequels is the vast amount of things that were said in the original trilogy but just ignored in the prequels.

If you enjoy them, that's great! But the reasons I've listed above are ther reasons why I can't enjoy them. To me these prequels are not Star Wars, they are alternate universe stuff. Oh well....sorry for the rant

Inconsistencies are to be expected. I think it is sad that they ruin the movie for you. Every major flick that has sequels has major inconsistencies, especially those that sell big. It is just the way it is. And, as far as I remember it, Obi knew about leigha in the original set. But I could be wrong.

Perhaps someone who has seen Episode III can tell me something I've been wondering about for a long time:

Do they ever come up with a rational explanation for why, in trying to conceal Luke from his father, and with an entire galaxy to choose from, they decided to hide him
a) on Anakin's home planet
b) with Anakin's step-family
c) near the site of Anakin's mother's grave (the one spot in the universe where you might expect him to turn up sooner or later)

and then, just to make the disguise really impenetrable
d) raise him under the Skywalker family name?

Kelpie said:
Perhaps someone who has seen Episode III can tell me something I've been wondering about for a long time:

Do they ever come up with a rational explanation for why, in trying to conceal Luke from his father, and with an entire galaxy to choose from, they decided to hide him
a) on Anakin's home planet
b) with Anakin's step-family
c) near the site of Anakin's mother's grave (the one spot in the universe where you might expect him to turn up sooner or later)

and then, just to make the disguise really impenetrable
d) raise him under the Skywalker family name?

because tatooine is a no where planet, kind of like earth, and they knew darth vader would be too full of himself to care until luke grew up? And padme was dead anyways.

OK, I am stretching here. Doesnt anyone ever just watch a movie for the magic of it anymore? I guess I am just a big kid at heart.

Well, I loved it. When I go to the movies, it's just to sit and escape for a while. I don't sit there fussing over minor details - the whole experience is more important. This film made me laugh, cry and feel ill, so if that was George Lucas' intention for his audience, then it worked for me. I also think it's pointless trying to compare the two trilogies. Think about the time when Star Wars was first released. The world was a lot more innocent then. A 10 year old girl could go to the cinema's on her own. The naivety and charm of the original series simply reflected society. Nowadays, how much more jaded and suspicious are we? How immune to "charm" have we become?

Karen :)
p.s. Leia didn't know she was adopted, so she when she tells Luke of her mother, she is just recounting her foster mother perhaps?

dustinzgirl said:
Doesnt anyone ever just watch a movie for the magic of it anymore? I guess I am just a big kid at heart.

I watch every movie for the magic of it, as an escape from the real world. But when that illusion is shattered by plot inconsistencies and, even more so, terrible scripting, and I get wrenched out of the imaginary, I get a little narky.

Still haven't seen the film. Still not expecting much (except maybe a little hope, deep down inside). Just a small point on the debate raging here. I think someone said that if you're a Star Wars fan, you'll like Ep III, if not, you'll hate it (or somehitng to that effect). It seems to me more, if you're a Star Wars fan, you'll love it, and if you're a Star Wars fan, you'll despise it. It just depends what kind of a Star Wars fan you are. There are those who are blind to quality so long as there's lightsabres and wookies, and then there are those who expected Lucas to be faithful to their memories, to have matured as they had matured, and to deliver the films every Star Wars fan (every one of whom who had at one stage or another lined Lucas's pockets and contributed to the Luasfilm empire) had the right expect.

I came late to the Star Wars bandwagon, in the early nineties while a teenager, and for many years was quite fervently a Star Wars tragic - books, comics, whatever I could lay my hands on, I had it. When I heard about Ep I, it was almost to much to bear... And then, well, it was bad. Still, I was prepared to forgive Lucas, and despite myself, put a great deal of faith in Ep II. And it was worse. But what right do I have to expect Ep III to be a dud, with such stirling predecessors? I still love the originals (well, maybe not Jedi so much...) and the books and all the other trappings (just the idea, more than anything), but I'd prefer to think the prequels never happened.

But, yeah. In the end, I think Lucas wasn't able to self-edit - that most rookie of mistakes. It's hard to take a chainsaw to your own work, but it has to be done. The adulation and the dollars went to his head, and I don't think he ever saw the weaknesses of his own scripts or direction. And either no one in his organisation was game to say anything, or else he's surrounded by fawning yes-men to tell him everything he does is magic (I'd go for the latter) and, seeing as though he's his own studio, there was no one above him to stop the rot...

But those are just my thoughts, as much as they matter. I've never made a film (well, actually I have, at uni, and it was a critical flop... I like to think it was before it's time) but I've tried to write plenty of scripts and each one has been pretty darn awful, so I know how hard it is. But in the last few years I also saw films such as Mystic River, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Sideways, The Incredibles, The Lord of the Rings trilogy, to name but a handful - so I know it's possible to write good scripts and make great films.

The movie colda had a lot more action. In the begining it was a lot of politics. Then they went searching for Grievous, then the clone troopers turned on the Jedi (reallllly sad part, all of the jedi trying to kill droids, but the troops wopuldn't budge until they killed the Jedi) then Yod-izzle and Obi-izzle, went to temple, fought heavy battles, Obi went to Mustafaa and fought Annie, Annie tried to kill Obi, Obi cut his legs and an arm off, left him there to die because lava had encased his body. Palpatine found him rescued him and encased him in the familiar black suit.

HenryVI said:
The movie colda had a lot more action. In the begining it was a lot of politics. Then they went searching for Grievous, then the clone troopers turned on the Jedi (reallllly sad part, all of the jedi trying to kill droids, but the troops wopuldn't budge until they killed the Jedi) then Yod-izzle and Obi-izzle, went to temple, fought heavy battles, Obi went to Mustafaa and fought Annie, Annie tried to kill Obi, Obi cut his legs and an arm off, left him there to die because lava had encased his body. Palpatine found him rescued him and encased him in the familiar black suit.

wow - that's pretty much the whole movie right there, isn't it? :rolleyes:

This is a spoiler.....

To add to Tsu's comments... and please correct me anyone if you think I'm wrong, but this was my take. Padime was pregnant when Anakin tried to kill her. When Anakin found out she was dead, he didn't know she had given birth and he didn't know there were two babies he thought he had lost all, her and the baby. He also didn't know what sex the baby was either, so he wouldn't know to go looking for a boy or girl.

Episod 5 : "I'm your father" is just a lucky guess on the surname then ?

:eek: How can you people say such nonsense about the prequels I loved them. I mean ya they can't possibly compare to the original Trilogy but Their still a Star Wars movie.