DISCUSSION THREAD -- December 2017 75-word Writing Challenge

Nice advice Parson, but I have already done that.

I had an idea about a new story, it's dumb as Cathbat's left shoe. No offense

I did it, 75 words! but the other version is far better.
At least in my head it is a master piece of literature.
Just a question, for present do you mean a gift or the present "present", I mean, you understood

Last edited:
Just been introduced to the forum by a colleague and thought I'd have a go, I've not tried writing anything so short before. Spot on 75 words, hopefully the title doesn't count.
The other stories are great though :)

Last edited:
@DragonAether .... The Last .... When you're feeling sorry for yourself and lost the bigger picture.

If this is the shorten version of your 98 word story, it is clear to me that you kept the essentials of the story because it truly works.

@John K .... Feast not Swords .... When you've seen the bigger picture and are ready to act on your vision.

John K, well done. Seventy-five word stories are never easy and a lot of people find that the first time they've tried that they either have a description, or an ending, middle, or beginning of a story without the others. You've managed to avoid those pitfalls and have written a memorable tale that a lot of world leaders would do well to put into practice.

@DragonAether .... The Last .... When you're feeling sorry for yourself and lost the bigger picture.

If this is the shorten version of your 98 word story, it is clear to me that you kept the essentials of the story because it truly works.

@John K .... Feast not Swords .... When you've seen the bigger picture and are ready to act on your vision.

John K, well done. Seventy-five word stories are never easy and a lot of people find that the first time they've tried that they either have a description, or an ending, middle, or beginning of a story without the others. You've managed to avoid those pitfalls and have written a memorable tale that a lot of world leaders would do well to put into practice.

Thank you parson and victoria, yeah it's the slightly shorter version, there were just a bunch more words that gave a bit more emotion in my opinion, that was why I didn't liked the idea of reducing the words count. But thank you, appreciate the fact that it seems to work like that.

Welcome, @John K, from another John! You should introduce yourself in the Introductions thread so we can know a little more about you.

I threw out my short during my lunch at work, wasn't really any editing I probably spent all of 10 minutes from having the idea which I did pretty much straight away, this is only the second entry for me but I have thought of other ideas so it definitely gets my mind moving.

I thought I would join in the reviewing so here are single sentences to sum up what I'm left thinking after reading the short.

@Ashleyne MITTON'S CHRISTMAS FAIRY TALE - A purrfect present for the family.

@Cat's Cradle - Moments of Home - A glimpse of a soldiers hypercast home.

@Luiglin - Festive Cracker - A choice for the Queen, rip open her present or peel it open slowly?

@Victoria Silverwolf - Festive Cracker - A roll call for monochromatic equality.

@Pedro Del Mar - The Lament Configuration - A reconfiguration of flesh and bone, born in everlasting pain.

@Perpetual Man - The Paradoxical Present - To Review or not to Review, or to remain unobserved and do both.

Some great stories above. Creative and inventive. Rest of the reviews to come.

Unless there's been a spectacular coincidence, that'd be me. Welcome and congrats on a strong first entry.

Eh? What? Splutter of indignation!

I'll have you know I've introduced seven John K's in the last 48 hours, plus four John L's and a single John M!

Back